Painting Cheap Costume Helmets

Oh no
I’m very much a beginner when it comes to helmets. So I really appreciate the help!

I would rather go the high end route with this for my own, but I have to go with the masses on this

Hehe

Oh no
I’m very much a beginner when it comes to helmets. So I really appreciate the help!

I would rather go the high end route with this for my own, but I have to go with the masses on this

Hehe
Haha , no problem.
Not saying sanding then painting wouldn't last but a couple weeks either. Just saying it's the low end of the spectrum.
Can we look forward to pictures when you're done?
Or is it one of those deals where you're not allowed to show?

Absolutely!! I’d post some now, but we all resemble orange oompah loompahs at the moment

With the exception of any decent clearcoat
True, my brain always forgets about the clearcoat, probably because i only do artwork not anything that requires a clear coat really, but when i do its an aerosol acrylic top coat designed for vehicles (but i dont think i would use it for vehicles, i'd get the local body shop to do it properly.)

True, my brain always forgets about the clearcoat, probably because i only do artwork not anything that requires a clear coat really, but when i do its an aerosol acrylic top coat designed for vehicles (but i dont think i would use it for vehicles, i'd get the local body shop to do it properly.)
Yeah, I have yet to see anyone say there is a water based clear that lasts outdoors, or at least that equals a solvent. I have however seen many people use mathews solvent clears over even water based latex with zero issues.
I was just adding a tidbit. It wasn't meant to be a correction at all.

Last edited:
Yeah, I have yet to see anyone say there is a water based clear that lasts outdoors, or at least that equals a solvent. I have however seen many people use mathews solvent clears over even water based latex with zero issues.
I was just adding a tidbit. It wasn't meant to be a correction at all.
oh i'm more than happy to be corrected if i've provided wrong information. I have no experience with automotive work, just theory and we all know they can be worlds apart :D

It all keeps getting better though, Wasn't too long ago you couldn't mix the two at all. With the exception of maybe water over super old dried out oil bases.
I must add that I've never tried the stuff youre talking about so for all I know It may work just as well as anything else depending on your applicaton.

Last edited:
Back