painting Environment

S

splashofpaint

Hi all
I have still to purchase my equipment but I am still doing my home work on that subject, have some questions tho
I stay in Scotland so its not always warm and dry here, how will this affect my work as i am planning to paint in me dads garage??

Shouldn't be a problem, if your your using water based, might just take longer to dry, but you can cure with a hair dryer if needed, if there is any way to get heating in, that would be a big plus, good ventilation is also a must but it's east to fit an extractor fan.

Just do it I say, no wuckin furries, lol

You can work around problems with environment, I paint quite often, in a cold, damp shop. The warmer it is the better, so anything you can do to get it closer to room temperature will help(Madbrush already hit on heat guns, they help to set the paint, even when the room is warm), but high humidity when it's cold can make for some nasty condensation issues in your airlines. The compressor takes in cold air, heats it due to the proccess, and then it cools back down in the line, making condensation... I coil my airlines and hang them so that water in the line gets trapped in the bottom of the coils, and I also need to run two water traps and a desiccant filter.So, get it as warm as you can, and give it a try... but just be sure to be safe with ventilation and wear a respirator if you use solvent based paints.

Last edited by a moderator:
ta much

Shouldn't be a problem, if your your using water based, might just take longer to dry, but you can cure with a hair dryer if needed, if there is any way to get heating in, that would be a big plus, good ventilation is also a must but it's east to fit an extractor fan.

Just do it I say, no wuckin furries, lol

getting heating in might be costly as big ass garage, i might try to corden off an area to heat and will need ventilation . i think i will start with water based paint to learn techs then i plan to costom lids(crash helmets) bike tanks -fairns and see how it goes maybe cars as well. ta much for getting back:glee:

respirator i know will have to get me hands on one , haven't got anything yet but will get started soon i will take your advice under consideration- *$#^%!*$#^%!*$#^%!*$#^%!en paint it all
ta much for your post

Sorry, if that was confusing...I misread your post, and while I was editing it, I got pulled away from my computer without saving my changes. When I got home, I found my edited post still not saved. So if you read something different earlier...I've edited my previous post.

This should only help to confuse the issue, but I wanted to explain.

By the way, I've sectioned off an are in a shop with plastic sheeting hung over a homemade frame. It heated up right quick.

If there are any chances of it being freezing in the garage ,DO not leave water based paint in there as this can ruin the paint .If you decide to use solvent paint type you should use a better mask preferably air fed .You state you want to do crash helmets etc which means using a clear coat /lacquer these do contain nasties and an air fed mask should be used at all times .

Back