Painting on black

Diegojavbau

Air-Valve Autobot!
Hi !!

I'm using opaque yellow on black paper and look like I'm painting with water (or like transparent paint) :ambivalence:

The paint is Op. Hansa Yellow (1 007 1) com-art from Medea
I don't reduce it at all , I use it rigth from the bottle , I shake it very well by hand

Why is that happend ?

Thx in advance

Maybe spray white then yellow on top of the white. Or maybe multiple layers. I've never tried straight yellow onto black.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thx drobbins12 for the answer.
In some videos of airbrushing true fire I remember have been seen painting yellow on black , Am I wrong ?

I don't think you are wrong. Did you shake your paint real good before use. I just can't picture the opaque yellow coming out like water. Did you over reduce it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No colour at all will cover in one go over black, if you want your yellow or any other colour to appear as you see it in the bottle, you need to paint every area where your colour is going first with white, which also won't cover but as many layers needed to achieve a white base for your colour.

If your piece involves a lot of colour it would be better to start with white paper and apply black the the areas where you want it, once you have an even white base all your lighter colours will cover in one.

Doing flames on black paper using straight red, orange and/or yellow will cause a greenish colour shift similar to the blue shift you get with white over black, making the piece look dirty.

It's always handy to have a sacrificial piece of paper next to your piece, here you can see how your combinations will behave before ruining your main work.

If you intend your colour to blend into black do this also first with white.

One trick I have learned is to put a clear coat on the paper prior to painting it. Being all color paper is made with a dye , Spraying flat clear or semi gloss clear over it first prevents the color shift you will get .

One trick I have learned is to put a clear coat on the paper prior to painting it. Being all color paper is made with a dye , Spraying flat clear or semi gloss clear over it first prevents the color shift you will get .

Great tip !!! thanks :tears_of_joy:

Back