Painting Stainless steel

Vince Driver

Needle-chuck Ninja
Want to paint a design on my SS mug but not sure of steps to take to keep paint on it. I did a practice run today by just putting a line on one. It just wiped off after a couple hours of dry time. Want to leave the SS as is, just want a design. Any ideas? Thanks

I've done a few stainless insulated mugs. Scuffed, used Wicked, then clear coated. It needs protection. You have to make sure there are no edges in the clear that water might get under, otherwise over time washing can start to lift it.

I've done a few stainless insulated mugs. Scuffed, used Wicked, then clear coated. It needs protection. You have to make sure there are no edges in the clear that water might get under, otherwise over time washing can start to lift it.
Thank you squishy. Did you prime before you painted them?

No just cleaned, scuffed and painted straight on the metal as I wanted the metal to show. If I was going to basecoat before adding artwork, I would likely prime, or use auto air sealer.

Yea, I am wanting the stainless steel to show. Wanna do the mug like panels riveted together then clear coat to seal it all up.

Back