Painting with liquid colorants?

D

DeadlyDesignsNC

I work with paint and use a tinter everyday and have access to buy my own tint and use colorants such as maxitoner, Colorcast ecotoner and BAC tints. Was wondering if anyone has used such tints for airbrushing and how to apply them. Since I can get them cheap and they're pretty pure and good stuff id like to find a way to utilize them. I know the maxitoner is used for automotive grade paint, the bac is for solvent based paint and Colorcast is for water based paints. Any info would be fantastic because all I can find for data sheets is safety sheets, no usage. Or directions for use.

So as I understand it these colorants are used in the machines for mixing specific colours ordered by customers, being a painter and decorator we have colours mixed frequently, the problem is these tints are highly concentrated and the tiniest amount is needed it different bases to achieve desired colours, the Base used with exception of automotive wouldn't go through your brush, I reckon you would be outing yourself to a lot of trouble for nothing unless you are using whole liters at one time, I would stick with the recognised materials and not risk the headaches that might come with it.

You could try a sample of the water based stuff but be sure of pigment size before trying to shoot through an airbrush although I believe these colorants have of a cocsistency of dyes.

I think you would need a carrier for it and can not be used on their own. The same way candies work.

I was hoping to thin them out and use them the same way as a candy being a little goes such a long way, or even as a modifier for my current paints. Worth a shot idk. Id have to play with them, I've got a couple ounces of blue to play around with of the automotive grade stuff.. at the least I can super thin it out and dust for effects. Rarely does anything for general use paints transfer to automotive and specialty applications.

I do know most pigments in water based are ground down to 5 microns and believe the inks are even finer. I am not sure about the tints being used in house paints if that's what you are talking about. Even the base coats for house paints very from batch to batch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back