Payne’s Grey with White Over It

SiRoxx

Party Boy UK Style
Staff member
Mod
Hey Guys,
I’m planning ahead for a project or two and I have a question. I don’t yet have the paint otherwise I’d just give it a go. Does painting White over Paynes Grey create a colour shift in the White? Let’s say I’m using Wicked Colours Payne’s and have gone about as dark as I can with it, would adding white for highlights create colour shift? If so would some matt clear over the Payne’s first stop it?
As always, I appreciate the help. Thanks.

Hey Guys,
I’m planning ahead for a project or two and I have a question. I don’t yet have the paint otherwise I’d just give it a go. Does painting White over Paynes Grey create a colour shift in the White? Let’s say I’m using Wicked Colours Payne’s and have gone about as dark as I can with it, would adding white for highlights create colour shift? If so would some matt clear over the Payne’s first stop it?
As always, I appreciate the help. Thanks.
from my experience there is ALWAYS a color shift. maybe using 4020 (or 4030?) - not sure that bleed checker used on O2 candies, would prevent this. but i havent tried that yet.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Highly likely... I suspect the colour shift would be greater than commonly seen as the payne's grey is a blue tint...

Highly likely... I suspect the colour shift would be greater than commonly seen as the payne's grey is a blue tint...
That’s a very good point Mark. If I’m right, I’d need to add orange or yellow to counter the shift or lay down some clear of a different breed.

That’s a very good point Mark. If I’m right, I’d need to add orange or yellow to counter the shift or lay down some clear of a different breed.
yep. orange - yellow counter the blue-ish shift.
but i would love to know if using some transpatent clear counters it too.

Yes that would be right. Not sure if the clear would help as I'm not too sure of the nature of the colour shift whether it is straight mixing of colours OR if it is light related. It may be both.

I did a little playing around with Createx Wicked. I tried laying Trans Base and 4030 over black and then put White over the top. The 4030 seemed to help a bit, maybe another couple of coats. IF and that’s a big IF it’s a mixing related.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yep. orange - yellow counter the blue-ish shift.
but i would love to know if using some transpatent clear counters it too.

I’ll try and find my photo of the 4030 experiment.

It’s definitely a weird one to understand. This is Wicked White straight over some Urethan black aerosol paint.
4cdb19f75d4df9fcc519d00ce6bcbd78.jpg

No real shift at all, which makes me think it’s possibly more a mixing issue. Wicked White reactivates Wicked Black and the shift occurs. But it doesn’t reactivate a dried Urethane.

lol.. Yes, I'm not sure of the reason for blue shift but I suspect the 2 main culprits are combining (reactivation...) of paints - which you won't get here, and the black showing through thinner layers of the white (which you might get here but didn't)

I'd say your 'no shift' urethane test result is purely because it is urethane and not water based. Once the urethane is dry its done, finished, no further reactions at all. I would also guess that aerosol can paint is more an opaque rather than transparent.

I think the shift with the waterbourne paint is a combination of reactivation and transparency.

No proof of this of course, just an opinion/thought

I'd say your 'no shift' urethane test result is purely because it is urethane and not water based. Once the urethane is dry its done, finished, no further reactions at all. I would also guess that aerosol can paint is more an opaque rather than transparent.

I think the shift with the waterbourne paint is a combination of reactivation and transparency.

No proof of this of course, just an opinion/thought
I think that makes perfect sense too Jackie. I’m sure Herb has said in the past that it’s as much a reaction of water based reactivating as anything else.
It’s the Transparency issue that has me wondering if a clear coat of Urethane will work or not. I think it’s going to be time to test the theory tomorrow.

lol.. Yes, I'm not sure of the reason for blue shift but I suspect the 2 main culprits are combining (reactivation...) of paints - which you won't get here, and the black showing through thinner layers of the white (which you might get here but didn't)
That’s my thinking too. I’m pretty sure I’ll have time to test different degrees of white over some black with a clear coat in between tomorrow.

I managed to get a moment to try the Clear Coat theory.
I don’t know how well the image will come out on here, but in the flesh there’s a fair bit f difference.
Top half of the page had been Cleared with Matt. Bottom is regular paper.
26d0355723c6d1dc4190a0f617e3465d.jpg

With the Clear there is very little or no shift that I can see. It’s more obvious on fainter lines. I tried to keep the number of passes over each line / blend roughly the same. 1 blend and 1 dot bridge both sides and I can clearly see the difference. I hope it shows ok in the photo.
Straight away the White over the Clear start to build in opacity much better than without the Clear.
Interesting.

I wonder if the Transparent autobourne sealer would work or the new candy barrier?
I don’t know about the clear Autobourne. I’ve tried this before with Trans Base and 4030 as a barrier. A blend of the two did help a little, but not much. Maybe the 4040 Bleed Checker would do it.

Back