Photo editing software help

S

Splat

Can anyone recommend some good basic photo editing software? With my new interest in airbrushing, I'm coming across some needs in this area.
For the most part just the basics of lightening/darkening etc. but wondering if there is something out there that is a clear winner for a tech challenged simpleton?
Or would love to hear any that you personally could not be without.

The 'free-er, the better' of course. :)

Can anyone recommend some good basic photo editing software? With my new interest in airbrushing, I'm coming across some needs in this area.
For the most part just the basics of lightening/darkening etc. but wondering if there is something out there that is a clear winner for a tech challenged simpleton?
Or would love to hear any that you personally could not be without.

The 'free-er, the better' of course. :)

If your looking for something on a normal windows PC, windows has apps built in that do the basic functions like light settings and such, for more intricate stuff you can download GIMP, totally free, this would allow you to explore your creative side and produce some very original images of your own, you can find it here, if you download it just experiment a bit with it to find your way around it, but you can also ask questions here if you need to:)

Take the time to learn GIMP - lots of tutorials on the web... great program and very powerful!

Thanks Malky and Mark, My experience with photo editing is a little dated. Last software was Paint Shop Pro 4 for example. :p

Going through old digital photos in a external HD from 10 + years ago and the quality sucks to put it softly.
I figured there was a popular one here.

Photo shop is what I use most of the time Adobe CS2 had a free download but it is vary out dated and I heard Adobe removed it but it did come with Photo shop in it.

I will be looking into GIMP also.

Paint on

Photo shop is what I use most of the time Adobe CS2 had a free download but it is vary out dated and I heard Adobe removed it but it did come with Photo shop in it.

I will be looking into GIMP also.

Paint on

Gimp is constantly updated and totally free, although photo shop is reputed to be a great software, older versions won't be compatible with newer machines which is why you can get them free, I used to use software called i-photo 4 plus, this was ridiculously easy to use and I used for years, but there were no more updates after windows vista, so Gimp was a life saver since after forking loads of cash a new computer, I refuse to fork out even for stuff I think should be pre-installed and included in the price.

Thanks Malky and Mark, My experience with photo editing is a little dated. Last software was Paint Shop Pro 4 for example. :p

Going through old digital photos in a external HD from 10 + years ago and the quality sucks to put it softly.
I figured there was a popular one here.

Just play around with it, it won't take you long to get the hang of it, digital cameras and even mobile phone cameras have came a long way in ten years, my phone can take ultra HD photos and video, I have no idea how to (yet) but it can, lol as you've now found out, when you get into this airbrushing lark, you end up having to learn a load of other new skills such as photo shopping, cutting up templates, preparing substrates, mixing paints and an array of other stuff depending on what you actually paint or what direction you choose to take but it's all part of the fun.

For everything else, your new brothers and sisters are here, lol

You and I are on virtually the same page in everything you wrote Malky. :thumbsup:

OK, I downloaded Gimp and immediately realized my learning curve went from approaching calm seas to a mutha of a storm. Man there sure are a lot of arrows and squiggly tools to figure out. Kinda fun and especially since it has something I've never seen before........... 'History'. :)

For everything else, your new brothers and sisters are here, lol

Of which I am rapidly coming to adore. I ask for help and its received immediately.
Not once here have I had to buy dinner, drinks, or even provide a place to sleep in exchange, unlike I would for all of my blood siblings. lol

Of which I am rapidly coming to adore. I ask for help and its received immediately.
Not once here have I had to buy dinner, drinks, or even provide a place to sleep in exchange, unlike I would for all of my blood siblings. lol

Yeah about that......
we do have some that travel the globe..... be prepared for a knock at the door....:D

You and I are on virtually the same page in everything you wrote Malky. :thumbsup:

OK, I downloaded Gimp and immediately realized my learning curve went from approaching calm seas to a mutha of a storm. Man there sure are a lot of arrows and squiggly tools to figure out. Kinda fun and especially since it has something I've never seen before........... 'History'. :)

Your sharing a mutual passion now so those of us who struggled in the beginning try to help others avoid those same struggles, it's damn handy to know that when you hit a brick wall there's someone around to turn you around and push you in the right direction:) but that's what makes this the best forum going, and we like to have a laugh too, although I have a feeling we didn't sneak that one past you, lol

If you hover over those squiggly lines symbols and stuff they usually tell you what they do or mean, being an "only look at the pictures" type of person those little icons are ideal for me;)

I use this software
https://www.topazlabs.com/
With an add on called simplify it allows me to create line drawings in less than a minute and I can do all the photo editing I need. Rock solid and no real learning curve, Photoshop is now subscription based I think and over kill for touch up work IMO :) I do love it though!

I like the fact that when you hit a brick wall, we all point and laugh....then help you break through it. Or maybe that's just me, I am quite (very) mean. :) But if you cant have a laugh at/with your family, who can you laugh at/with.

Anyway if you're going to be my brothers and sisters,,'stop hitting yourself, stop hitting yourself. And if you're going to steal cookies give them to me or I'm telling mum.'

Anyway, I am computerly challenged too. Sadly smashing my fist against the keyboard and shouting ' Work you Mother flipper' from time to time has turned it against me. Now it just sits there, its screen glowing to itself all sulky. If I ask it to do anything it just spins at me, and gives me attitude - page can not be displayed. Yeah right. It's happy to have its fast broadband, and let me pay for it, but ask it to edit a picture and it doesn't want to know you.

Yeah about that......
we do have some that travel the globe..... be prepared for a knock at the door....:D

Not worried about a knock on the door Jack. Matter of fact, next month the more the merrier to help shovel snow. We're on the 'wrong end' of the season cycle and far enough north that no one in their right mind visits. Too cold for the folks down south, and not warm enough for those further north heading south. :)

it's damn handy to know that when you hit a brick wall there's someone around to turn you around and push you in the right direction:)

Lets call it a stumbling block instead of a brick wall. The way thats worded, all of a sudden have a fear of hazing the new guy here. lol

I use this software
https://www.topazlabs.com/
With an add on called simplify it allows me to create line drawings in less than a minute and I can do all the photo editing I need. Rock solid and no real learning curve, Photoshop is now subscription based I think and over kill for touch up work IMO :) I do love it though!

Thats on my Youtube docket for tonight now music. Never heard of that one.
Like Malky, I'm a simple picture oriented guy. If I can/cant follow whats going on in a video, the decision is usually made at that point.

And if you're going to steal cookies give them to me or I'm telling mum.'

Mums going to have her hands full then Squishy, seeing both of us laying on the floor in a bloodbath with a cookie laying in between.
Except from reading here I already know how to keep all the cookies for myself. :p
McCoy_Clown_in_a_Pink_Barrel.jpg

I do like photoshop myself BUT it costs a lot, i was fortunate to be able to use a copy from work when they upgraded. Gimp is very good and free. Also for very basic stuff like resizing, converting to greyscale cropping etc i use irfanview which is also free.

Lee

Lee, Now that you mention it I downloaded Infranview a few years ago, but lost it with a computer crash. I only played with it a little bit, but remember how easy it was. Just never DL'ed it again.
Been playing with Gimp most of the night now and its fascinating how far these programs have come. If the mountain ends up too high to climb for the reward with Gimp right now, for the time being I'll revisit that one. I already have one huge project tasked to learn on my hands. :)
Thats really all I think I need now in just simple editing.
Gimp would be great right now if I could edit out about a thousand functions so I dont get confused so easy. :p

Its a case of pick one and learn the curve..Most are familiar with each other but if you've not played with them for awhile, yer no doubt your in for a surprise..I use photoshop 10 basically cause I have a copy and have learnt what I need to learn on it even though now its considered ancient.dabble with Adobe but was never my fave and a bit over the top...not sure on Gimp, only used it once or twice but it has most the ability I believe to do most needed image shopping..Good luck.

Now I've recovered from my freak out......No cookies would survive in that jar, because it would get smashed to smithereeens lol. I'm never THAT desperate for a cookie!

I'm going to have to try gimp sometime. I have inkscape, and I've looked at it, and it looked back - with a sneer.

Whatever happened to the simple days of Windows XP and PSP? I couldnt have been happier with the simplicity of combo.
As much as I know that I should learn some basic stuff, I simply hate computers now. Except for these nice little people that live inside it of course. :)

......No cookies would survive in that jar, because it would get smashed to smithereeens lol.

BLASPHEMY! :p

OK, I see how this works. You are not really as mean as you claim, you just exploit other peoples weaknesses for your own gain.
So let me see if I have this right. You stand in the corner with blood in your eyes, with a sledgehammer in tow. Knowing that I have to rescue the beloved cookie hostages, I do so.
Then you flatten the clown cookie jar, demand the cookies or you will tell Mum.
Win, Win on your end as you get both the cookies and get to put another hash mark
in the clown kill column.
I get no cookies, and no whoopin from Mum. All I have is the satisfaction of saving innocent cookie lives. All that time I'm watching you chow the hell out of all of them sitting in the corner of the kitchen.

I think I underestimated your tact Squishy.

Back