For Every Airbrush Artist!

Ready to get involved? Register for free and you won't see any google advertising!

Register

Photographing Artwork

Discussion in 'Open Bar!' started by J000seph, Jun 8, 2018.

1. J000seph

J000seph Detail Decepticon! Very Likeable!

Hi guys, I am not a photographer. I just want to be able to take a decent picture of my artwork. I understand that good cameras take good pictures. I don't own a fancy camera. I've tried scanning but it is too bright. Any recommendations for taking a good picture? It seems like my photos exaggerate the contrast in my paintings. This ruins the subtlety. I recently learned how to adjust the light exposure on my iPhone camera. That helps some. What are some other tips? Thanks
  2. DaveG

DaveG Detail Decepticon! Very Likeable!

There is no substitute for good light. I used to work with a simple point and shoot Fuji purchased at Walmart. It took forever for me to understand that it would actually take decent pictures if I provided decent light to the subject. With that one, I found I needed to up the exposure compensation, which I am sure is the light exposure you reference on your phone. I have done some crazy things to get decent picts... I wait for a certain time of the morning, when the sky is mostly clear, and then place the work in a shadow cast by my car, with additional light reflecting off the white garage door :). The key was experimentation. If I took one photo, i took 5. Each with a little different setting - starting below what the camera said was a good exposure, and then above - so, it was like -2, -1, 0, +1,+2 on exposure compensation. Then, add more light! You may consider adding a few additional lights to your work area, if only for getting your photo's. Simple clamp on lights can be set up quickly, then put away when not in use.

I now have a fair camera, a Nikon D3300 - but, more importantly, a decent lens... and I still need to add more light!
  3. Robbyrockett2

Robbyrockett2 Air-Valve Autobot!

If it will fit on the scanner just scan it, otherwise that whole morning light trick of daves sounds really familiar. moving around the house, the yard....up in the neighbors tree...anywhere lol
    J000seph likes this.
  4. AndreZA

AndreZA Elite Member! Elite Member! Very Likeable!

Definitely light like Dave said. I like to shoot RAW with custom white balance as well. But monitor also plays a role. I have to edit at work because the colours on the monitors here are better than the one at home. I now edit s that it looks good on my cell phone. So I do not know what other people see.
    J000seph likes this.
  5. J000seph

J000seph Detail Decepticon! Very Likeable!

I’ll have to see if my scanner has settings I can adjust, but my scans seem to exaggerate highlights, harshen contrast, and lose depth.
  6. DaveG

DaveG Detail Decepticon! Very Likeable!

Yeah, I have had some scanners that were pretty good at capturing the right amount of detail and contrast, and I have had some that were horrid. Even within the same brand. Most do offer some sort of adjustments prior to final scan.
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2018
    J000seph likes this.
  7. Robbyrockett2

sounds like its set to scan documents.......
  8. Robbyrockett2

If you happen to have an HP and HP easyscan installed, the photos and graphics preset seems to do a fair job. On mine anyhow
  9. Airbrush Dreams

Airbrush Dreams Air-Valve Autobot! Very Likeable!

Start with a daylight bulb some where around 5000k this gives a more natural light am then play with white panels to bounce the light off of so you use more indirect lighting. This way you have less of a hot spot. Then I adjust the exposure, contrast and and overall color cast and even saturation settings. I do my adjustments while holding my phone in front of the art so I can come as close as possible to the original. Download Adobe PhotoShop apps and use the for further adjustments. I also have a mid to high end Sony NEX 5N that does just as well, but my PC photo program quit working correctly and won’t open the images and just crashes. I need a new photo editor on my PC. Hope that helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    http://fredaw61.wixsite.com/the-artist
    https://www.youtube.com/user/fredaw61
    J000seph, doc1 and HellBird like this.