Picked up a MOJO III

jagardn

Airbrush Acquisition Disorder Patient
After about 6 months of not buying an airbrush, the bug bit me again. I know I definitely didn't need a new airbrush, but...what the hell. :)

Mojo III IMG_4649.jpg

It is definitely a finicky brush until you tune it in. I was struggling a bit yesterday when first trying to get it going, but got it spraying well this morning.
I got it with the Size 0 setup, so as expected, the reductions are very similar to what is needed with the Infinity .15mm.

I am having a similar issue that I had a few months ago with my spare H&S nozzle a few months back.
Here is a link to the video.
When my Iwata Power Jet compressor drops down near where the pressure switch kicks the compressor on(about 37-40 psi), the MOJO III completely stops spraying. Once the compressor kicks back in and the pressure in the tank rises to the mid 40's it starts spraying fine again.
I sent an email to Mike to see if he has any suggestions.

Otherwise, I think once this problem is resolved, I'll really love this brush. Its very responsive and can pull some really fine detail.

Are you using a mac valve on it? Mine wouldn't work with smart jet I had years ago. Did similar thing. I think choking the air down after the regulator messes with the unloader valve or something, not sure. Shortly after the pressure switch went out and iwata wouldn't sell me just the part so I swore off iwata. If I'm not mistaken, the model you have can run 2 different ab at 2 different pressure simultaneously. I'd check there first, make sure you have no leaks or anything strange. Also in your video the water trap looks full. Also remember with a mojo3, it steps the air pressure down about 5 psi at the head. I don't use a mac valve since they tend to leak and with the mojo3 I've found if you choke the air down with one, it won't spray right. May have something to do with the plunger design. You should have gotten the rail grip attachment. I love them, makes it super comfortable for all day use and easier to hold. I still need to get the 0 setup. Everytime I order another mojo, it's like 2 weeks later he has a new mod haha. I still have the first run mojo with the short trigger and standard .2 mm I have purchased 3 tall boy triggers but have yet to use them. Always happens, buy more equipment then there is nothing to paint. I still have 2 new ones I haven't even used yet.

Are you using a mac valve on it? Mine wouldn't work with smart jet I had years ago. Did similar thing. I think choking the air down after the regulator messes with the unloader valve or something, not sure. Shortly after the pressure switch went out and iwata wouldn't sell me just the part so I swore off iwata. If I'm not mistaken, the model you have can run 2 different ab at 2 different pressure simultaneously. I'd check there first, make sure you have no leaks or anything strange. Also in your video the water trap looks full. Also remember with a mojo3, it steps the air pressure down about 5 psi at the head. I don't use a mac valve since they tend to leak and with the mojo3 I've found if you choke the air down with one, it won't spray right. May have something to do with the plunger design. You should have gotten the rail grip attachment. I love them, makes it super comfortable for all day use and easier to hold.

I do have a separate connector on the compressor. I'll give it a shot, don't know how well I could work without a Mac Valve though. My compressor is under my desk, and a bitch to adjust the regulator without moving a bunch of stuff out of the way. It did come with the grip attachment, but haven't had enough time under it yet to see how much it helps. Thanks for the response.

I would say a compressor/airfeed problem rather than airbrush. Good luck with it!

I do have a separate connector on the compressor. I'll give it a shot, don't know how well I could work without a Mac Valve though. My compressor is under my desk, and a bitch to adjust the regulator without moving a bunch of stuff out of the way. It did come with the grip attachment, but haven't had enough time under it yet to see how much it helps. Thanks for the response.
I'm not saying don't use a mac valve, just take it out of the equation. I have a cheap one from bearair and it's pure junk. Choking down air pressure to me shouldn't involve leaking air everywhere lol. I still use it as an extension to keep my hand away from the quick release cause if my hand touches it, leaks like crazy. I hold my airbrush a little sideways so the weight of the hose is always pulling down at an angle on the release creating a leak.

I'm not saying don't use a mac valve, just take it out of the equation. I have a cheap one from bearair and it's pure junk. Choking down air pressure to me shouldn't involve leaking air everywhere lol. I still use it as an extension to keep my hand away from the quick release cause if my hand touches it, leaks like crazy. I hold my airbrush a little sideways so the weight of the hose is always pulling down at an angle on the release creating a leak.

I replaced the entire QR(male and female) with another one I had on hand and the leaking problem went away. I think the one that came with it is just not that great. I am just concerned about the low psi thing at this point. I don't want to buy a whole new compressor to get rid of this issue where it stops spraying. Hopefully Mike gets me some kind of resolution when he emails me back.

If he doesn't get back to you in a few days let me know and I'll call him

I have 3 Mojo's I love em. I have a richpen version series II. I also have a Mojo III that is with Mike at the moment being upgraded. It was one of the first ones. I also Have a brand new one that was a freebee from Mike.... Well actually I traded him for a fuel tank! ;)

I have 3 Mojo's I love em. I have a richpen version series II. I also have a Mojo III that is with Mike at the moment being upgraded. It was one of the first ones. I also Have a brand new one that was a freebee from Mike.... Well actually I traded him for a fuel tank! ;)
I had a lot of problems with my first run one. Mike was going to fix them but to me it just added character lol. They have come a long way from the first run. It's a real shame his forum has died. They say it's because of social media but I call bs. I think it had to do with the fact the site without warning disappeared for over 6 months. Was supposed to only be shut down for a week for upgrades. I actually never tried the other mojos. I have a stock 213c and it's perfect as is imo.

Here is a picture of the head assembly. I am wondering if the Low PSI issue is because there isn't much needle exposed. My H&S that was acting the same way had a similar needle exposure. Once I got a replacement nozzle, it fixed the issue.
@Immortal Concepts does this look similar to your Size 0 for needle exposure?
What PSI can you generally run at? (I know its hard to tell, but I can run my other detail brushes with very little air flow)

Mojo Head Assembly.JPG

I don't have the 0 setup so couldn't tell you but it looks fine to me. How tight do you have the cap? O ring looks pretty loose to me. You want it snug then a slight turn tighter. Really changes how it behaves. I adjust it all the time.

I don't have the 0 setup so couldn't tell you but it looks fine to me. How tight do you have the cap? O ring looks pretty loose to me. You want it snug then a slight turn tighter. Really changes how it behaves. I adjust it all the time.

I've adjusted it from tight to just barely touching the O Ring. I've had it pulling really fine lines. It just has that issue with the compressor and I can't get really reduced paint or even water to atomize below about 25psi.

Crazy. I spray down to 10psi. I think average I'm probably running maybe 25 psi tops. I haven't looked at a regulator in years since it's all about feel

Not got either at home at the moment. One is with Mike, the other at the shop.... I have got paint to flow with as little as 2psi! And yes, the trick is to get that air cap in just the right position..... Once you have the hang of that, they work a treat... The one at the shop has the 0 setup, the one at mikes has both. The only downside I see about them is the needles are so fine, you have to be super careful.

Not got either at home at the moment. One is with Mike, the other at the shop.... I have got paint to flow with as little as 2psi! And yes, the trick is to get that air cap in just the right position..... Once you have the hang of that, they work a treat... The one at the shop has the 0 setup, the one at mikes has both. The only downside I see about them is the needles are so fine, you have to be super careful.
Yeah I've actually received bent needles. the newer stronger needles he has are much better than the first run ones, those were so fragile if you looked at them wrong they would bend. I usually end up bending a new mojo needle ever so slightly when I put them in. kind of got in the habit of new needle per new job.

Back