For Every Airbrush Artist!

Ready to get involved? Register for free and you won't see any google advertising!

Register

plotters and fine art and illustration

Discussion in 'General Airbrush Discussion' started by tucky, Aug 8, 2014.

1. tucky

tucky Detail Decepticon!

i know that plotters are good for signs ,, cars,, and other large scale graphics..but if i purchased one .would it be an asset for fine art or illustration.....thanks...
  2. wmlepage

wmlepage Elite Member! Elite Member!

Have you ever wanted a stencil to " do " something specific but no one makes it? Say for certain shapes or a texture? Or whatever? Stencil film can be cut with a plotter . And if you know enough people , make decals, it can pay for its self quick .
    tucky likes this.
  3. wmlepage

Also,think of it this way, you do a fine art piece, and now need to block in a background or make a repair. If you had plotted the mask or stencil to get your initial map you can just cut a mask for the whole image or a piece and not have to cut frisket on your work.

A plotter can be a great tool, but still just another tool in our arsenal, I am glad I have mine.
    basepaint, MeeshellMP and tucky like this.
  4. MeeshellMP

MeeshellMP Goddess Queen of carts Mod

I LOVE my plotter, especially since I will NEVER have to do lettering by myself again :) I cheat now lol
  5. tucky

tucky Detail Decepticon!

but can plotters take the place of friskett
  6. wmlepage

If you have the image file, you can do a manual trace, just like transferring your image to your surface, except you are doing it on a computer. Then once the image is traced, cut and applied, any piece can be re cut later. Bonus is you will always have the cut file after if you don't delete it.

Will a plotter take the place of frisket totally? Nope. Every situation is different . But it sure eliminates a lot of headaches and repetitiveness of cutting on your work. It also allows for a digitally editable image to show customers . A few clicks and it edited to customer demands. No need to totally redraw an image again. Unless of course you want to .
  7. tucky

tucky Detail Decepticon!

thanks wlmpge...im pretty simple....find or take pic...tweek it...print it....paint it....i bought a stencil cutter...hardly ever use it.....just like to paint it...any more work than that limits my imagination. whats left of it
    wmlepage likes this.
  8. Squishy

Squishy Queen Clown Slayer Mod

I've been put off because I thought all images had to be vectors? As a computer idiot, I have no clue how to do that.
  9. wmlepage

It does take a bit to get used to converting your pics, if you can use a mouse though, your can trace your image and create a vector. Hey Meeshell can do it. Hehe. ;)

Waiting for a beat down........
    MeeshellMP likes this.
  10. MeeshellMP

MeeshellMP Goddess Queen of carts Mod

Lmao!! Hell yeah, If i can do it? ANYBODY can lololol
  11. tucky

tucky Detail Decepticon!

ok without doing the research.....what is the best plotter for image cutting,,,,
  12. Squishy

Ok, order of intelligence where computers are concerned 1 - Stephen Hawking 2 - Meesh (close second I'm sure), 3 - a new born babe, 4 - a cumquat 5 - a cumquat that's got left in the fruitbowl, gone mouldy, and is mutating into a previously unknown species, but a species with no actual brain. 6 - a block of wood 7 - a block of wood that got crapped on 8 - a puddle 9 - (Brits will know what I mean) Joey Essex (He thinks the country next to Wales is London :depressed:) and finally 10 - me.

I can just about manage to click a mouse, but, ours is one of the remote ones, and I did shout at it for 5 minutes the other day before I realised the battery was dead. :rolleyes: I am beyond hope LOL!
    wmlepage, tucky and WhiteKnight like this.
  13. tucky

tucky Detail Decepticon!

it ok squish...your just more natural....you should check in to an abacus or maybe the new jitterbug computer.:laugh::cry:
  14. Squishy

Lol Tuckster! I can get anything to work really. What I do is try it, when it won't do what I want, I shout at it, gaining in volume and level of obscenity, throwing nearby objects if necessary, until someone notices, or just wants me to shut up, and comes and does it for me before I make them want to smash their own face in. Simple but effective.

Unfortunately no one else here knows how to make vectors either, so the usual method doesn't work. I end up with no voice, lots of broken things, and friends and family with flattened faces.:laugh:
    tucky likes this.
  15. wmlepage

Best....Roland or Graphtec, but they are mega expensive, the US cutter line is pretty good, it's what many of us budget minded people have. Copam is nice, kind of between the US cutters and the big boys. Silhouette Cameo/portrait will work just abit limited by the small size.

The us cutter ones are probably the best bang for the buck. It comes with decent software for cutting, Inkscape which is free is good for creating and editing vectors, and you can get a 24" plotter for less than a 12" Cameo. Just look at the specs, Mac users have to get an SC or higher or a silhouette . US cutter will also guide you to the right unit for you if you call.
    Jar and NEMOPa like this.
  16. wmlepage

I do this too, and I am the computer literate in my house, so don't feel bad.
  17. tucky

tucky Detail Decepticon!

squish....vectors are just like tracing....
  18. tucky

tucky Detail Decepticon!

well im gonna invest in some graphics plotters...really like the automotive vinyl wraps.....thanks guys....scrape up a few investors and have a go at it.
  19. wmlepage

Automotive wraps are printed not plotted. Similar material, but the printers are a lot more expensive than a plotter. But USCutter can hook you up there too.
  20. Squishy

Now this is something I know a little about. My hubs used to have people do this at his work. There is a vehicle vinyl wrap that is the dogs danglers. I think it's by a company called Avery? (I'll try and find out - I did say I only knew a little lol) I think they are a world wide company. Basically it is kind of perforated on the underside, and looks solid from the font, so that when applying you can never get air trapped underneath. It also stretches to pretty much twice it's original area making it easy to conform to shapes, go around corners etc. Probably pretty expensive, but a lot easier to use.
    tucky likes this.