poor atomization etac weather change

J

jared pittman

Hey guys! Was in warmer weather and etac was atomizing perfect! I am now in colder weather and seem to be getting poor atomization- unless micron is turned up high? What gives?

Is the area you are painting in climate controlled ?
My work shop where I paint stays pretty much at 70F degrees no matter what the weather is outside.

Weather can have a massive effect, try reducing more or look at the range of additives. I'm not familiar with etac but they probably have something for this situation.

Yes, temp and humidity affect this. Check if manufacturer has a comment on these.

So what do you paint? Where are you painting, what do you use...? Pop along to the intro page and say Hi for us! Look forward to saying Hi properly.

Thanks guys!!! No special paint room, just weather is so cold skyrocketing heating bill- at times we dont crank to high keeping house as low as possible. I think this is what happen got filtered water from sink very cold- temp of bottles of paint probably not warm.

Mr. Micron I trust your opinion! What in the world did you not like about Etac flow, tip dry never! I do understand people have other issues with etac but not flow.

Thanks guys!!! No special paint room, just weather is so cold skyrocketing heating bill- at times we dont crank to high keeping house as low as possible. I think this is what happen got filtered water from sink very cold- temp of bottles of paint probably not warm.

E'tac being waterbased will be useless if it freezes, there are unfortunately no additives to make it more workable in cold conditions, certainly not made by the same brand.

Try Condition Air in your water. It's like a heat/cold treatment for E'tac. It is what I use for the African heat.

Mr. Micron I trust your opinion! What in the world did you not like about Etac flow, tip dry never! I do understand people have other issues with etac but not flow.
I had flow issues , tip dry to beat the band it just was not for me . But that is just my opinion of it from my own use.
HOK on other hand I know well but only customers with deep pockets get it due to it is pricey . I also use PPG SEM and once in a while NAPA brand urethane.
As for waterbased paints Wicked detail, Createx Illustration work better for me then E'tac did . But like I said what works for the many may not work for a few. I am one of those few that e'tac and I just could not get a long ...LOL

during the winter months it is about 17 C degrees ( 63F) in my studio and I have no problems with my etac paints

Warm your paint up....You can just chuck on an extra jacket..Do the same for your paint..Give it a jacket :)..Warm it up a little in a cup of warm water, keep it warm and it will spray better..paint hates cold weather but its more the paint itselfs temp and of course that of the substrate, environment doesnt really matter if you can keep those two elements a bit warmer..Improvise :) PS Good darn shake and strain also, paints do just naturally settle over time and often most just dont shake em enough, or even stir the paint well with an old paint brush or skewer or the like..may also help break it all up a bit again, some paints clump and they'll especially do so in cold weather.

A guy wouldnt make it without info here period - at least me! Thanks guys long time lurker!

Thanks for stopping lurking, hope to see you around more. I'm not a fan of E'tac either, but probably just because I love Wicked and know it so well that when I've tried E'tac and it's performance hasn't compared, I stick to what's working for me lol.

I know when trying to clear in cold conditions, warming the parts, and warming the paint works just fine, as long as there's not too much moisture in the air. It takes longer to cure, but apart from that the environment being cold is not an issue, and its the same for my Wicked paints, I just reduce a little more and it flows fine. So maybe adjust your ratios a bit, and warm things up a little and it should make the difference.

Squishy- when I work with wicked detail single color and cut it is fine but when I started mixing a large amount of flesh tone it became total hell. Single drop fine but reducing on whim with larger amout badnews for me! Etac just throw some paint in and cut it with water- hell the stuff sprays by itself

Its the other way around for me. Wicked I just chuck it in the cup with some reducer and go - Boom - whatever I need coverage, super fine detail its all good. I like the properties of the reducer, the drying and harder curing, less surface tension etc makes it ideal for me to spray on any surface which I like to do and flows amazingly.

E'tac and reducing with water doesn't seem as crisp and clean, and the colour intensity doesn't match up to me. The Wicked's pigment content makes colour pop, which I love, but I get it can take people a little longer to nail reduction because of that. For me its worth it as I find Wicked more versatile and more vibrant.

But its horses for courses, and what suits the way you like to paint. And what you want to paint to. If someone wants to stick to portraits for example then I would suggest Createx Illustration, or E'tac. Its what the pros use, so maybe its just me lol.

Back