Practicing flames

Well your getting there and finding your way . IMHO you are still a bit heavy with the amount of paint you are laying down and your lacking some hot spots to give some more depth ,but you might not want them for what you are trying to achieve .it will come together all of a sudden in a way that you are happy with . I found with flames we all tend to try to hard to start with ,I just chi lax with a few tunes when doing flames ,just makes them so much easier.

Thanks Ferret, slowly but surely I'll get it in time. And you are probably wrigh as every one els, I may be trying to hard.

Hi every one, I know I keep posting just on flame. But I need the critic from you guys. I did this one last night.

image.jpeg On this one I kind of tried doing each lear in a different way. I use some of every one technicc. Like afterdark that he use on deconstructing the flame. I didn't use so much red and I just did the outline. As well as MeesheLLMP, using the stencil on the table, Squishy like on the valcovers that she did and some of the advice that I got from all ove you guys I have listens and heard all ove you. And like I said before just got to put in the time or do the time. Lol thanks guys

Thanks guys, thanks to you guys input. Just like I said I'm using you guys technics and combining them together and it seems to be coming together for me I just need to keep working on it. Again thanks guys.

Looking good. And that's exactly it. I struggled trying to do what someone else had done before and couldn't get it. When I finally stopped trying to use stencils and took a bit of info from here and there, it got mushed into my brain until it resolved itself into something that made sense to me and seemed to work. I think your colours had a bit more depth and pop in your earlier attempts, though it may just be the photo :) But your shapes and flow are coming along in leaps and bounds. Keep up the good work.

Thanks Squishy, you are wright about the color. I just sprayed lighter with the paint not as heavy. But ounce I get beater with my leyar I'l go back and try to go a little heavier.

Thanks Basepaint, belive me, anything that any of you guys throw at me to help me get there I will try to do. Or some time I just take what I learn and combine them together and make it work for me. In the same way I have done as a journey man.

I'm just playing around tonight. It's been a long one.  this is what i did earlier tonight. 20160914_021107.jpg and now I'm playing with this one20160914_035954.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
@Johnny T. and any one else interested in doing real fire/flame, I just came across this video on YouTube which has to be the best example of a realistic flame job I have ever seen, this guys approach so random and unplanned as I personally think it should be, I would would advise watching this from start to finish with not skipping whatsoever, listen to what the guy says and notice not a single stencil used anywhere and because of that this job is a close as anyone could possibly to get to what I would would describe as real flame, despite promising myself never to be foolish enough to ever try flame again, this video has certainly tempted to have at least one try, I reckon to get a good degree of total randomness, this could be done with your eyes closed, I have no idea why I have never seen this guy before but this will change how folks approach flame and help them to produce a convincing attempt, to me over use of stencils simply borders on hot rod stylistic, the video is ten minutes long but I reckon for those serious about, the best ten minutes spent watching anything, damned impressive I say

Thanks Malky?, I have watch this one before. It is very good thanks. But I think I'm gone give it a rest on the flames for now.

@Johnny T. and any one else interested in doing real fire/flame, I just came across this video on YouTube which has to be the best example of a realistic flame job I have ever seen, this guys approach so random and unplanned as I personally think it should be, I would would advise watching this from start to finish with not skipping whatsoever, listen to what the guy says and notice not a single stencil used anywhere and because of that this job is a close as anyone could possibly to get to what I would would describe as real flame, despite promising myself never to be foolish enough to ever try flame again, this video has certainly tempted to have at least one try, I reckon to get a good degree of total randomness, this could be done with your eyes closed, I have no idea why I have never seen this guy before but this will change how folks approach flame and help them to produce a convincing attempt, to me over use of stencils simply borders on hot rod stylistic, the video is ten minutes long but I reckon for those serious about, the best ten minutes spent watching anything, damned impressive I say

I have this guy on my subscribed list for YouTube. He paints everything and the way he paints those random flames is amazing. I had forgotten he had done them so thanks Malky for the reminder, He does some good clouds too by the way.

Johnny you have done a great job in such a short time the flames have taken a whole new turn and are looking good. Don't burn yourself out though

That video makes me want to have a go again. It's been 4 years I think since I did the class. Haven't done any since.

Lee

Thanks Jord001, I don't think I'm getting burned out just yet. I just need to do something else for now. I'm practicing on some skulls to. And working on my paint pal.

Here is some I made using HOK not the best flames but I tried to leave holes to give it depth and tried to not use the same shape and flow too often another thing is try to not put the holes right across from each other so it looks more natural if that makes sense..Screen Shot 2016-12-13 at 11.35.40 PM.png

Back