Preferred methods of image transfer?

Your preferred method of image transfer?

• Total voters
I chose digital projector. For signs ill use pounce method if its to large to project. I recently did a project with someone who used an overhead projector . I really didn't think anybody used those anymore. If it aint broke don't fix it I guess.

I have one and use quite a lot for transferring parts of images that I want to mask.
I think it 's a handy tool

Agreed, all of the above!! Most time, I trace, then transfer to friscut, then apply, then cut, then paint. But,..I also just transfer the image (canvas) and paint...so, the answers are not fare lololooool

Who knew there where so many ways for image transfer?.
I will either use a prepared stencil for a guide, freehand it or if detailed especially for portraits a Prism Image Projector.
The projector allows me to enlarge 18cm x 18cm color photos upto 20x and scare the neighbours on Halloween by projecting Giger images on the outside of their homes.

Another thanks to Madbrush for your description of the Pounce method of transfer. I can see some things it would definitely be useful. My method of transfer has always been hand cut stencils and tracing, taped outlines, and direct sketch which I'm not good at....

For anyone wanting to read up on the pounce method amongst others, a good reference is 'Bill Stewart- Signwriting' book.
I stumbled on a projector and I quite like using it for flat surfaces only, my big problem is being too heavy handed with the pencil which I normally notice after I have applied paint.
As said, the chalk method is particularly good for easily damaged substrates, a little difficult on compound curves though ;)
Another point to watch for when using a projector is distortion, it is quite easy to distort an image if not careful, in fact some very interesting effects can be achieved.

Last edited by a moderator:
its all a language i cant seem to understand....#2 pencil and paper tape...lol.... oh i forgot.. an xacto knife :)

I forgot to mention, but it's nice to see the pounce method up there, although I've used this many a time in my sign-writing days, it could certainly be be handy in other areas, however I think if I had to use this for airbrushing it would require several print-off's and have to be done in stages to avoid confusion, especially in pieces involving a lot of detail.

And I'm a little curious as to who voted for this method and whyo_O:)

I chose pounce because im an Ex Signwriter Mad. Don't use it very often but for instance large pics or flames that have to be mirrored..

Lee

airbrushtutor there's no Digital DLP Projector in the poll:)
DLP is much better technology than LCD one.
I use DLP BenQ and it's great thing!

Crazy in a way that I develobed a technike with projectors I havn't seen any other use, and true, if you now think Im'e a jerk becaurse I want to wait untill the right moment to publish, it's allright. But I tried it before, pubblishing what I knew was an invention and then not just one, but a dusin claimed to have made the same discovery. -- I will publish one day when I can use the situation to protect my credit though.
But this is about prefered method and after I could use any projector for increadible transfere, I kind of lost interest. Guess we all know the arguments, how so many artists keep quiet about their projector, and realy it's silli, becaurse either your shaddow come in the way, or you can't determine where to continue becaurse the paint are the same color as that place in the image, --- as using light with a color "do" something to the colors it shine on. So when you allmost gone berserk about your own shaddow, that you can't see to where you have reached and what is missing, you turn on the light and what is it you see.....

I started in CAD so many years ago that the systems name was Dos 2.1 and AutoCAD was vertion 2.6 . There was no graphic interfase. either you could type a command and a number of parameters or start a program by typing it's Exe files name. So my prefered are the CAD way. Even tracing I import the bitmap and trace either with a digitizer (prefered) , or by mouse. That way I can scale the drawing, I can plot it or cut it, I can use layers for multilayer stencils and I can callibrate precise. Use all the different extras, linetypes, tricks and experience. Well in fact I still use AutoCAD14, that's plenty for me.
Projectors are great for Murals and a lot of other things, but why do everyone seem to use it the wrong way.

Crazy in a way that I develobed a technike with projectors I havn't seen any other use, and true, if you now think Im'e a jerk becaurse I want to wait untill the right moment to publish, it's allright. But I tried it before, pubblishing what I knew was an invention and then not just one, but a dusin claimed to have made the same discovery. -- I will publish one day when I can use the situation to protect my credit though.
But this is about prefered method and after I could use any projector for increadible transfere, I kind of lost interest. Guess we all know the arguments, how so many artists keep quiet about their projector, and realy it's silli, becaurse either your shaddow come in the way, or you can't determine where to continue becaurse the paint are the same color as that place in the image, --- as using light with a color "do" something to the colors it shine on. So when you allmost gone berserk about your own shaddow, that you can't see to where you have reached and what is missing, you turn on the light and what is it you see.....

I started in CAD so many years ago that the systems name was Dos 2.1 and AutoCAD was vertion 2.6 . There was no graphic interfase. either you could type a command and a number of parameters or start a program by typing it's Exe files name. So my prefered are the CAD way. Even tracing I import the bitmap and trace either with a digitizer (prefered) , or by mouse. That way I can scale the drawing, I can plot it or cut it, I can use layers for multilayer stencils and I can callibrate precise. Use all the different extras, linetypes, tricks and experience. Well in fact I still use AutoCAD14, that's plenty for me.
Projectors are great for Murals and a lot of other things, but why do everyone seem to use it the wrong way.
While I start my engineering career using T squares , 45 , 30/60 and different lead types I also was a part of AutoCad 2.6 crowd , Now I use AutoCad 2015 being the University I work work hold a seat with Autodesk. So Raster to vector conversion is second nature being some of the building I have had to work with only had prints from when they were built in the 1800's
But being you have been a member here for some time you know we do not keep secrets from one another ,Now if you paid for a course and the instructor ask you or made you sign a contract stated you would not tell or teach others their ways that is different.
So telling us you have a new way you invented to use a projector then not saying what it is due to you want to be publish is kind of like saying I am only in life for the money. A friend of mine had an ideal on fuel system management that he took a 1969 AMC Javelin with a 343 which got 8 miles to a gallon and made it get 75 miles to a gallon. Those close to him knew how he did it . But before he could get the Patient on it he was shot and killed due to that was during the us gas war of the 70's, Moral here is he never got a chance to publish or patient his design and while a few of use knew most of it we still lacked a few key items that only he knew to make it work on any car.
So being life is short I share all my knowledge (which is not much compared to some) But none the less that is what this forum is about Spreading the Love .
So if you are not willing to shared your findings without being paid for it then do not bring it up at all .

Good for you if you know a better way, but rather than telling everyone they are wrong, why not just publish?

I dont really know what you are on about to be honest silverscreen.......Project image on to surface, plot your image with pencil. Done !

If you are talking about painting with the projector ac t u ally switched on, then you should check out alberto ponno. I think he has had this method what he calls laser projection mastered, he actually colour or tone matches using a s c rap of paper in his free hand and then paints pixel by pixel .

True, I can only hope for the right oppotunity, Frankly I hate the situation, but I learned from my mistakes. Maybe inviroment are harsher in denmark, for sure I turned my good will after a few of those experiences. In short stealing others idears are not just accepted but the looser are made pertetic, the theaf are a hero. This was the first thing I was told at the academy; "bevare, they will rob and steal you if you are to good at it"

So yes, it's not about bragging. I realy need the right advise ; I had this idea to long , but it's to good just to share like it is just a smart trick - it's better than that, remember ; "This is denmark, not USA". The ability to get good idears and being a good craftsman count nothing compared smooth social skills and luring a naive non academic to uncover his Visions. But today I been waiting for a Video team that should make a Video about my Streetart and other pictures, see that would be the right situation where I could prove date and good will. It's the nearest to the ideal situation I can image. They allready assembled from my Facebook page and the paintings I uploaded around the web. --- And that Video will surface one day.

Many years ago I did like other boatbuilders when I made mast rings ; in the old day's boatbilders also closed the doors when they made mast rings, it was simply impossible for me, when I decided to start a production of mastrings, to find out how they was made, becaurse no one made them anymore, so to find out how to avoide to end up with a lot of wood for the stove, I had to make them in my own way --- no one knew how mastrings was made as it was kept a secret, so I spended a month and a lot of ash wood before I had the tool ; I sold a lot of mastrings, untill the marked was filled. In fact -- but I guess you know this, -- some of the old dutch masters also closed their doors when they painted some of their masterpieces. They used a kind of projector but kept it a secret, that we know today. But it was some detective work to uncover, so secrets have been kept a secret before.
But there are a difference sharing, like helping others who been fighting furious to be able to do something you can, where an advise from a more experienced, can make the difference, but this is not skills, it's a blank new way to do things, and that make a difference I think I must be aware. It took me a year to realise in a second, that's true. But in a way this is what I can ; combine my craftnanship with that ability to see new way's, but I also became so old that I can't afford to happily just share, and frankly this is mainly about me getting the credit due, if someone else would run with that I think also you would hold your horses and beside, this is denmark that is very important to remember.
Hope it was not to much bad spelling, hope you realised that I been looking for advise.

But what advice do you actually want. Please excuse my ignorance my friend, my advice is publish it. Unless you have invented a tree that actually gives you money, chances are nowadays you will not get rich of your invention. ...... and if it is respect credit and fame etc that you are after, that only comes when you are dead. ..... rembrant, Mozart, tesla....

Glad I could inspire you some hehe. ... yer as i say i dint mean rudeness, but you can not publish or tell us what it is you have invented. ...... Therefore we can only assume it is not going to change the world. ..... Most of us, if we do use a projector only need it too get an outline of what we want to paint. ....i think the leaving the projector on and painting method is not really painting as such, alberto himself says he is not an artist he is an artisan...... its a bit of a cheat to paint in this manner

I dont agrea, projectors still offer a varity of options, my method offer a foto realistic if you want and my experience are that most often there are a big difference from the original and what you see are what so easy get reflected. projectors are also great for portraits, I seen portraits that put the focus on a persons best qualaties. no projectors are like just another tool an artist allway's used since first the mouth was used blowing sot, then a finger and next the cat's tail. Tools are acceptet othervise pure art could only be made by finger painting, that's purest and therefore the best Art. Still in fact spitting are the most truest Art. The laugh are that I long ago went on to stencils and laser cutters, lost interest when I found the method, but that's becaurse I want to paint naked women.

Yes i would say its like finger painting, or paint by numbers. ..... like racing a car that is on train tracks, is kind of difficult to go off track, but each to their own hey

Back