Preferred methods of image transfer?

Your preferred method of image transfer?

• Total voters
Hi, if i have a print on paper of my subject (85" x 150") ...and will like to transfer it to my board or canvas,,,but dont have saral or graphite paper,,,How will be the next option to transfere the image using the printed paper?...i undestand i shall not use carbon paper.,,,thanks.

@kelonio, then rub graphite pencil on the back of the paper and it will be like having graphite paper underneath. Or if it not a too complex design, you could make a pounce pattern by using a pounce wheel and some chalk powder.

Hi Andre,,,i assume with a very soft graphite pencil?...............In this other situation where i had used a proyector to draw my image on the canvas, what is the proper way to create masks or stencils on this stage?.....what i do is use a very thin transparent plastic bag, (cut it open) and stick it with spray mount and cut it with x-acto,,,but only lasts for 1 time.......(transfere paper dosent stick well on canvas as in flat surface)......All ideas will be well recived,,,,and thanks again from Costa Rica.

The best mask you can make is using the exact printout you used to trace. Just cut along the trace lines and not the image lines unless you actually stayed on the image lines. Just make sure the back is clean so that you do not transfer the graphite that you applied to trace, back onto the painting. You can just use a light coat of spray glue to attach it.

With out reading all three pages of replies. I would say firstly. Their is NO preferred method out right. Only a method that works for the individual for any particular project.

Their has always been one thing I dislike about this art (and much others) in that hearing you must do something by the rules... There is No rules! Never let any one teacher or otherwise tell you different. :)

That out of the way. And my reasoning. One method can never be repeated for all your situations unless you have a strict style of painting?
I have transferred in the past by: Drawing directly. Carbon paper, Baking paper, Placing my reference image to a window and copying my transfer to a blank sheet, Liquid Mask, LIght box's, Grids, Reusable (Mylar film) stencils, Paper- Stencils cut from printed paper, stencils cut from Magazines, Projecting, Backing paper(used for Vinyl) Vinyl cut stencils, Fine line tape(Thick tape to fill in the gaps) and lastly a method I have had to turn back to lately, 'Tiling' due to my image couldn't be scaled down with out loosing detail.

I like projecting, its fast and gets the job done. Cutting stencils is slow, and I get bored. But sometimes you need too. Also I cant project onto Tanks/Helmets. Rehashing, No one method works. Its all part and parcel to your skills set..... No rules :)

Dan

Hi Andre,,,i assume with a very soft graphite pencil?...............In this other situation where i had used a proyector to draw my image on the canvas, what is the proper way to create masks or stencils on this stage?.....what i do is use a very thin transparent plastic bag, (cut it open) and stick it with spray mount and cut it with x-acto,,,but only lasts for 1 time.......(transfere paper dosent stick well on canvas as in flat surface)......All ideas will be well recived,,,,and thanks again from Costa Rica.

Welcome from Oz :) I have painted on Canvas one time. Tho I went about it All freehand and using 'Free-hand Shields' when needed, for reasons you mentioned in that the surface isn't smooth. Tho not everyone is ready to go that solo.

I would suggest. Cut stencils from paper. Make exact copies, so you can keep your stencils fresh. EDIT: In using paper stencils. DONT saturate the paper. Just misting your colour is all you need. Remember, The stencil is ONLY a guide. Use them only to give you your road map. Use Mylar, X-ray film, or heavy card paper for longer lasting stencil use in tricky spots.
Also, have you ever tried Liquid Mask? Aply it with a brush, let dry (about 30sec) and paint. To remove, just rub it off with you finger. Very handy for Uneven surface substrate. And old Graphic design tool.

Dan

Welcome from Oz :) I have painted on Canvas one time. Tho I went about it All freehand and using 'Free-hand Shields' when needed, for reasons you mentioned in that the surface isn't smooth. Tho not everyone is ready to go that solo.

I would suggest. Cut stencils from paper. Make exact copies, so you can keep your stencils fresh. EDIT: In using paper stencils. DONT saturate the paper. Just misting your colour is all you need. Remember, The stencil is ONLY a guide. Use them only to give you your road map. Use Mylar, X-ray film, or heavy card paper for longer lasting stencil use in tricky spots.
Also, have you ever tried Liquid Mask? Aply it with a brush, let dry (about 30sec) and paint. To remove, just rub it off with you finger. Very handy for Uneven surface substrate. And old Graphic design tool.

Dan
Thanks KCANDY....with this info i will find the more practical way....lol

Thanks KCANDY....with this info i will find the more practical way....lol

Hi Mate. I have a clearer head today lol. No Jacks and cola for Monday mornings.
My suggestion was much the same as AndreZA mentioned.
I dont know your capabilities. But for the beginners, I would always say, Learn it all. And others that have had more experience with Canvas with out Geusso priming may just have "worked" out a smarter method that also works. Or that works for them.

Another idea, I had, but only tried many years ago. was to lay tape or Cantact (like a school grade vinyl) over my Paper stencils. They have a little more durability from the wetting. They will curl when dry. But thats better then Buckling.

Forgot to add. Your uneven surface (Canvas). Try some of these tips. Lower your PSI. When spraying over your Stencils, Point your nozzle away from your stencils edge. So blowing your mist on the the canvas. Never paint onto the stencils at a 90deg angle or you may find (oftern then not) overspray bleeding off your stencil marks.

Dan

Hi Mate. I have a clearer head today lol. No Jacks and cola for Monday mornings.
My suggestion was much the same as AndreZA mentioned.
I dont know your capabilities. But for the beginners, I would always say, Learn it all. And others that have had more experience with Canvas with out Geusso priming may just have "worked" out a smarter method that also works. Or that works for them.

Another idea, I had, but only tried many years ago. was to lay tape or Cantact (like a school grade vinyl) over my Paper stencils. They have a little more durability from the wetting. They will curl when dry. But thats better then Buckling.

Forgot to add. Your uneven surface (Canvas). Try some of these tips. Lower your PSI. When spraying over your Stencils, Point your nozzle away from your stencils edge. So blowing your mist on the the canvas. Never paint onto the stencils at a 90deg angle or you may find (oftern then not) overspray bleeding off your stencil marks.

Dan
Thanks again for the info : )....And thinking seriously to move to flat surface,,,Here in Costa Rica i need to import all materials and that becomes very expensive,,,the only flat surface i may find here will be MFD board.....No way to buy here any of the good boards like 4G............Also the quality on detail is much better on flat surface than on canvas (unless you do lots of gesso coats and sand paper,,,that i hate...lolll)

MDF I feel lends its self well to airbrushing. Its a smooth (at least for what we see in Oz) and with a Primer coat to seal it, your set. You can frame it, glue hooks on it to hang, or repaint over it. I have a few generous sheets of MDF for practicing some Lace painting and lettering on later down the track.

Dan

Surprised an Opaque Projector isn't on the list, they are quite useful for transferring images from almost any type of media (magazine, photo, comic, hand drawn art, etc) to a larger canvas, easy to do for a canvas on an easel/wall. I have a DLP Projector that works good for that purpose too, so I guess I will just select that option; its probably the closest option to an opaque projector, only you have the additional step of scanning the image into the computer first.

Didn't realize we could select multiple options though, I've used the grid method, graphite and cutting stencils/friskets as well.

10474-1449662265-d77c1b7138c11cfb207e85eb3f865591.jpg

I have several old and some Antike projectors, I used one of them, a profesional Opaque Projector with a 1000 Watt 220 volt HQI lamp, and compared the small Opaque Projectors , -- well you can't compare as with one of those, a 6X6 meter projection are no problem at all. But today I would look for a Digital. The one to the right are the one I will keep after selling the antike Zeiss projectors, --- 1000 Watt 220 volt HQI lamp. The mirror on top adjust the image angle and in dark a 8X8 meter projection are possible. They are not that expensive on Ebay where I found this and even made the seller ship it ; with such a projector you get the most perfect projection much better than from an Overhead becaurse of the difference between these two compleatly different projecting systems.
The gray to the left, carry a 1000 Watt Halogen tube, that can be replaced with a standard 500 Watt if that's enough or the mains Amps are low.
10475-1449662727-b61e28ceb566ecc763ead623598c6d09.jpg

One I would like to add a Led bulb or a Led Diode system as you easily find new on Ebay ( just look for 3000 Lumen Led ). Right now it carry a 100 Watt Vintage foto lamp, but being both a big slide projector and Opaque Projector in one, it would serve most peoples need, also mine for non profesional use. Also as it is a plesant piece of antike.

Led don't need to be that expensive, a driver ;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/30W-50W-1...hash=item463f7065e3:m:mB1bitFXKGjH4KUFx838TmA

A Led to build in;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4pcs-lot-...002620?hash=item43e0f5a07c:g:5BgAAOSwd0BVybeZ

Last edited:
Hi, I realise that the above Ebay auctions will end at some time, so I will add two foto's if anyone ae curious about what to get to upgrade a projector to Led. I picked the smallest Led at 10 Watt, but there are more poverfull ones and the Deriver will support up to some 50 Watt easy;

10487-1449746083-0b4445c27bf027b39b63ee20b058ccae.jpg
10488-1449746241-deed01176d88be22e37e77adc89095df.jpg

What is your preferred method of image transfer? If you have another, please let us know and we may add it to the list.
I am a novice and I tried saral paper but then have lines on my paper I can not erase away,
and who continue to shine through in bright areas of the paint.
What kind of pencil should I use?

Back