For Every Airbrush Artist!

Ready to get involved? Register for free and you won't see any google advertising!

Register

Preventing an airborn canvas

Discussion in 'Open Bar!' started by Neural, Jun 21, 2017.

1. Neural

Neural Young Tutorling

I've worked with paper, and cloth, and the wind can be a pain, but my situation has changed a bit.

working with metal, specifically grinding metal, is.... well... you're applying a high friction disc that is rotating at 11,000rpm to a sheet of metal that is anywhere from 1/16" to 1/32" thick. Unlike paper, if this interaction should cause the canvas to go airborn, the results, as you might imagine, could be slightly more than a paper cut.

I'm looking to work with 1/16" thick sheet that is around 1' x 2' in size (roughly 1lb per square foot estimate).

I'm currently looking at what types of adhesives I can get away with, as I'd prefer not to drill holes in the metal and then have screw heads sticking up when grinding.

If anyone has experience with this that they are willing to share, I'd love to hear what you have come up with.

If I can get this out of the way, I'll get some grinding done finally and be able to focus on the Airbrushing part, which is sort of what this forum is about.

Thanks
  2. Brian Tooker

Brian Tooker Young Tutorling

why don't you just clamp the sheet in place?
    jord001 likes this.
  3. markjthomson

markjthomson Very happy! Staff Member Mod

I think coast airbrush have some good stuff on grinding aluminium, that could be worth a look. Otherwise, @Squishy or @Nada any ideas?
  4. Squishy

Squishy Queen Clown Slayer Mod

Depending on what surface your bench is - some decent strong double sided tape is what I used. But clamps, with a block of wood to stop marking the metal would be my next move.
  5. jord001

jord001 Air-Valve Autobot!

I would clamp it down or try that anti slip mat. But clamps for ultimate safety

Lee
  6. Jurien72

Jurien72 Needle-chuck Ninja

It seems to me I've seen something where there were two blocks of wood with v-grooves in them, some sort of screw mechanism to clamp down with. It gives access to virtually the whole surface, yet holds the sheet securely in place. I'm not sure if it would work with very thin sheets though?
  7. Neural

Neural Young Tutorling

non slip or double sided tape would be preferable I think. I'll see what I can find. I hate dealing with clamps, blocks, and such because having to stop the grinder to avoid hitting anything results in the edges of the overall art looking pretty cheap. If I wind up having to use clamps I will, but hoping an alternative works..
  8. AndreZA

AndreZA Elite Member! Elite Member! Artist of the Month!

A non-slip mat would be fine. How hard will you be grinding anyway. You're only breaking the smooth surface.
  9. basepaint

basepaint Air-Valve Autobot!

You might want to use a rubber mat made for holding wood while
    You router the edges ,they work great for wood,should work with the alum. IF NOT go with the double sided carpet tape ,I use that when I trim the bills I use in my lures with a router
  10. Joe A

Joe A Needle-chuck Ninja Very Likeable!

What kind of metal are you using? I'm not familiar with metal grinding but if it's magnetic you could make yourself some type of jig with some plywood, epoxy and a bunch of earth magnets. Just becareful not to use too many magnets as they could be strong enough to bend your sheet as you take it off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    JackEb likes this.
  11. Jurien72

Jurien72 Needle-chuck Ninja

I believe he's using aluminum so magnets wouldnt work- but great idea for some using steel
  12. Lt4-396

Lt4-396 Gravity Guru

Depending how thick of a piece of aluminum, you can screw a piece of steel to wood, than lay your aluminum on top and place strong magnets in place or around the border half on your piece and half off.
  13. Nada

Nada Air-Valve Autobot!

I have taken to using a rubber mat (very similiar to gym soft flooring) they are actually made for train cargo.

However with that said, i am very very comfortable with power tools and grinding and such (i was a plumber for 30 years. However i use aluminum composite panel rather than thin sheet.

As for what i use on a regular basis...

Angle grinder with a polycarbonaye disc (made for rust removal)

Abvariable speed angle drill with
    Roloc discs, wire wheels on varios sizes, diamond grit wheels, steel wool (very coarse)

A dremel tool occasionally..

Various sandpapers etc. The way i fo images is different than most,
    Most grimd the backhround then completely airbrush over that inder a clear.. I grind the image as well.

Worth noting i use Candy2o bit not always.. A quest for archival grade has left me try working with high quality transparent paints.. I like Golden High flow. Autobourne sealer is awesome. And is diect to aluminum. Candy 2o is direct to aluminum and so is golden..

One of my latest.. No Candy on the owl, only some grabber orange on the background. IMG_20170615_133037.jpg
    doc1 likes this.