For Every Airbrush Artist!

Ready to get involved? Register for free and you won't see any google advertising!

Register

printer

Discussion in 'Open Bar!' started by Ronald art, Jan 10, 2018.

1. Ronald art

Ronald art Air-Valve Autobot! Very Likeable!

I looked at the number of cartridges I needed over the year for my HP printer and it turns out I spend over 360 euro's a year just for ink and there is no way to drop that number with the HP so I went for a new printer with ink tanks instead of cartridges a bit more expensive than the HP but this epson printer will be cheaper in the long run I hope ;)
    ilzeairbrushing and SiRoxx like this.
  2. SiRoxx

SiRoxx Party Boy UK Style Very Likeable!

Good thinking Ron. I hole it works out for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  3. RichardH

RichardH Elite Member! Elite Member! Very Likeable!

I used to have an Epson printer that took 9 color cartridges. Replacement original ink cartrages was way above what I wanted to spend so I bought the refillable cartridges with bottles of ink. I saved $200.00 everytime I had to refill. They lasted me for over a year with the ink that came with the kit. The printer after 5 years finally gave up the ship and I just threw it away.
    Refilling is the only way to go to save money.
    Ronald art likes this.
  4. m3ntalo

m3ntalo Mac-Valve Maestro! Very Likeable!

I use Epson printers with ink tanks for the office /private use. Lately I bought a second one with a3plus size printing. Together with photo paper (not even very expensive one) they have a great quality and the consumption is not very big/expensive. Works great for reference pictures.

Gesendet von meinem SM-N950F mit Tapatalk
    ilzeairbrushing and Ronald art like this.
  5. Ronald art

I just tested this printer and I find the prints better than I got from the HP and I will check if I can get non branded replace ment ink at my local shop but for now I am happy with it even if it took ages to install this printer ;)
  6. Ronald art

I just checked online for replacement ink and I can get it for half the price epson is asking for the original ink :) so that will save me a bundle
    SiRoxx likes this.
  7. AndreZA

AndreZA Elite Member! Elite Member! Artist of the Month! Very Likeable!

I want a A3 multi-function Epson with tanks but they are over €1100 over here. I really think an A3 scanner can come in handy.
    ilzeairbrushing likes this.
  8. Ronald art

the A4 printers have always done the trick for me and for the price of a A3 printer I stick to an A4 and this epson was 179 euro and I found a place I can get 4 100 ml refill ink for 27 euro instead of the 64 euro I had to pay for 2 HP xl cartridges
  9. Malky

Malky Pencil Pushing Protagonist Very Likeable!

An A3 printer doesn't always have an A3 scanner, my brother printer certainly didn't so if you find one you like be sure to check that it does if an A3 scanner is your main desire.
  10. AndreZA

AndreZA Elite Member! Elite Member! Artist of the Month! Very Likeable!

The HP and Brother that looked at had them but they used cartridges. The machines were cheap but on your second set of cartridges you've spent more than the printer costs.
  11. Malky

Malky Pencil Pushing Protagonist Very Likeable!

That's why the printers are cheap, you get them for next to nothing just so they get you to buy the ink.

There are videos on YouTube showing how to refill even cartridges and reset the cartridge so that any printer thinks it's a new one, I've even seen a video on resetting cartridges that tell you they are empty but actually aren't.

I have a Canon printer with XL cartridges, five colours, they are expensive but because of how little I use it one set will usually last me a year but if I get to the point of using it more I will probably look into a printer with refillable tanks.
  12. Robbyrockett2

Robbyrockett2 Air-Valve Autobot!

Google universal CISS, for a tank conversion on the cheap . @MarcosD has his setup with them and is very happy with them. I plan to but haven't gotten around to it yet.
  13. Ronald art

I tested the new printer today and it prints perfect and it comes with 4 60ml bottles free ink so that is as much as 10 HP XL black and 30!!! XL color cartridges as it stands now I already saved me a few 100 on ink alone
    Dimitris and Robbyrockett2 like this.
  14. DaveG

DaveG Detail Decepticon! Very Likeable!

I purchased a Canon pixma pro100 because I just could not stand paying HP for in any longer. The last printer I had would only do 4 full color pages on cartridge, or 11 if I paid for the "XL" cartridge of ink. I have done some fantastic prints on the Canon, up to A3 - including real canvas, canvas textured papers, pearl papers, metal prints, etc. I was able to find a refill kit online that cost less than a set of replacement ink tanks (I am at at least 5 refills so far and going) that also came with a chip re-setter needed to allow the software to monitor ink levels. Can not say enough about this printer!
  15. Jurien72

Jurien72 Have Airbrush - Will Travel!

I have bought several HP printers over the years, and they usually broke right after the warranty expired. I bought a Canon printer a couple years ago, its been bouncing around in my truck, its covered in grease (the original pristine white is now... sepia? ;) ) and it still works great!
  16. Robbyrockett2

Robbyrockett2 Air-Valve Autobot!

I think they are all honestly hit and miss from model to model.
    Brother fell behind years ago though because they were the last ones to start robbing you for ink so the inital price stayed high and sales fell off, so development fell off.
  17. huskystafford

huskystafford Needle chucking Ninja

Little late to the party, but maybe some new member will read this and found out this info usefull. The cheapest and most reliable a3 printer would be epson workforce 7610. You also get scanner. All the info I picked up was from t-shirt forum, where guys use for production printers all the time. The problem with that and all the other inkjet printers is, that if you don't print much, nozzles get clogged, cause pigments sits down on the bottom of the cartridges. So I print at least one little picture with all cmyk colors once per week just to push all colors true printer. No problems in more then half a year. The original ink is expensive like hell. But like someone already told here, you can get cheap results with ciss or refillable cartridges.

Ciss for that printer needs to have chip on it, looks like this(price about 30 bucks):
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Non-Oem-C...hash=item46616af122:m:mkRrPZhl0P0pHwAUrLrkjkA

and then you can put colors inside, but it is good if you don't buy crap colors, cause ciss can clog nozzles very fast and you can get air bubbles inside and many t-shirt people had problems with ciss. Many of them actually give up on ciss idea. So good ink is a must.

uk good ink for this printer:
    https://www.inkexpress.co.uk/catalo...orce-Pro-4015DN/100-PG-CMYK.html#.Wmr0Dq66_cs
    https://www.inkexpress.co.uk/catalo...orce-Pro-4015DN/250-PG-CMYK.html#.Wmr0Gq66_cs
    us good ink:
    https://store.inkjetcarts.us/wf7610-usa-c1560.aspx
    inkjetcarts delivers worldwide
    https://www.cobraink.com/

You wanna get pigment inks and not dye inks. Original epson inks for this printer are pigments ink.

One more thing. If you go refillable cartridge route, get good information, cause there were bunch of refillable cartridges which didn't work good with this printer.

So bottom line is: if you go refillable or ciss, don't be cheap, cause you will regret later.

And when you buy colors from a store, you need to get color profile from them, which you use when you do the printing, to get good colors. Unless you have monitor and printer calibrator in your home.

edit: I forgot the most important thing... You need to disable in epson software firmware updates, cause epson is using firmware updates to disable new chips on ciss systems or refillable cartridges. I would suspect, this goes for other printer manufacturers as well...
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2018
  18. huskystafford

huskystafford Needle chucking Ninja

ilzeairbrushing likes this.