Problem with masking.

W

WASZKA

Hi,
First of all - sorry for my english :)
For a few months I've been trying to paint and I started with helmets. On the way I had many problems, but the main thing was the masking. I got a little plotter and there is no problem until I cut it. Problems occur when graphics are applied. I do this with a transport foil, but do you have any way to apply a curved helmet to not frown and nicely applied? any heating ?

2. What masking film you use to cut in plotter and mask helmet ? I try with white Oracal - but it left glue under, and now i buy Hansa Harder & Steenbeck but paint gettin under the mask.

3. When i mask something and then paint it - should i wait to dry it and then remove masking tape or remove when it's still fresh ? sometimes paint can get off with masking tape :(

4. When i've black background on my helmet and maski it and for example i want to paint some red sentense - should i first paint white and then red or only red ? I'm wondering cause when i paint white and then red and remove masking tape - sometimes white colour appear - here is example https://ibb.co/h4sNWG

Thanks for help. test.jpg

I use this stuff http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5MTR-OF-24-AIRBRUSH-STENCIL-VINYL-FOR-CUTTER-OR-ROBO-/200549453616 No glue residue left with this.
Also used Uber-Film which is similar.
But there is also Oracal 810 or 813 paint mask which is pretty good.

Lee

And you dont have problems with lefting glue under Oracal ? When i remove it - not always but sometimes glue stick to helmet and i've got problem to remove it cause when i clear with water or something else - it can remove my paint :(

I've not used the oracal, i use the blue stuff from ebay which leaves the surface clean or sometimes i get a beige colour vinyl mask off one of my mates but im not sure of that brand. I can possibly find out.

This I've done a lot of.
3. Pull the mask when the paint is fresh but not wet. Like after 30 minutes .
Also don't rely completely on your mask. As you paint only let the edge of your spray pattern touch the mask. So that when you're done the paint actually becomes thinner as it approaches the mask edges.
When you pull the mask you shouldn't feel a sharp edge between colors.
This will help with the paint coming off with the mask and also make for far less cycles of clear coating then sanding as you try to level out the clear.
This will also make sure that your undercoat (the white) wont show at the edge of the red.

4. I would use the white then red, trying to use red alone over black Is going to make you have to go too thick and lead to problems at your mask edges.
But this one is debatable. Just depends on the look you're going for.

Back