Problem with my H&S... again...

Being that that is a rubber O ring I would avoid soaking in solvent or airbrush Restorer. It will cause the O ring to swell and not properly seal. I take it that that brush has a floating nozzle, similar to the Iwata Eclipse and they need to be nice and tight to get the nozzle to seat properly. Being that those threads go inside the head system I would almost be reluctant to use the beeswax. Because if you get too much it could get inside the head and be horrible to clean out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
http://fredaw61.wixsite.com/the-artist
Mmm... today, first, i try replace the O-Ring.
Maibe is only a problem by o ring.

Inviato dal mio SM-G930F utilizzando Tapatalk

That O-ring should really seal the head without having to use wax on the threads. No harm in using the wax, but it does concern me that if the O-ring is not sealing, then the head is not on far enough to force the nozzle base seal to close either. If the seal at the base of the nozzle is not seated well, you will get bubbles in the paint cup again.

I have a pair of pliers with a nylon jaw insert, which I would use to just give that cap a tiny bit more of a twist...

Thabk you for answer.

The gasket in the nozzle is insert, clean and perfect.

I try with pliers...

I almost got crazy with this airbrush... :(

Thank you, this morning i cant find bee wax.

Today i try with lip balm. :)

... Every airbrush leaks, even Microns...

This is simply not a true statement :).

The head system on the H&S uses an O-ring on the air cap, as well as a teflon seal at the base of the nozzle. The seal at the base of the nozzle is dependent on the air cap being screwed on far enough to create a seal against the inside of the brush body. On the other hand, for an o-ring to make a seal under low pressure circumstances (say, less than 200psi) requires some squish on the ring itself. In this picture of the H&S head assembly the arrows on the air cap, as well as the nozzle indicate where seals are made when the head is installed correctly. As HiraMahi has already indicated that both his .2 and .4 set up's have produced bubbles in the color cup, one can draw the conclusion that the seal at the base of the nozzle has not been established with the air cap installed.
h-n-s-head1.jpg

The soft jaw insert on the pliers included in the Iwata tool kit make for an excellent aid in giving a head like that of the H&S just that tiny bit more of a snug up to create the two seals needed within the head system.

iwata-tools.jpg

To further dispel the notion that ALL airbrush heads leak, well, I currently have these 8 import brushes on my desk. The most expensive one was $42.00US. They all use a "Micron" style head system, and not one of them leaked at the head to brush body junction when I received each of them. An area I test on each and every brush I own. (Edit: Oooops, I forgot, one of them did have an air leak at the head to body junction, which was cured by snugging the head up with the nylon jawed pliers prior to use.)

import-batch.jpg

They didn't leak, because even though inexpensive, they did also add an o-ring seal to the head assembly to make up for a lack in tight tolerance that would be found on a real Micron head assembly. Curious note of mention - The Micron head will screw right on these imports, but will not completely seal - even when using the imports o-ring on the Micron head. The head threads need to be waxed...

import-head.jpg

2 out of the 8 did leak air at the air cap junction. The 6 that did not leak at that junction came with wax already applied to the threads of the air cap - a nice touch I thought. As far as I can tell, I am guessing that while the brushes all look the same, there may be at least three different actual manufacturers represented in this group.

My Iwata Micron CM-BV2 did not leak air at the head to brush junction, even though there is no wax, and no other method of seal. They depend on tight tolerance in this junction to create a seal between the two assemblies, and they fit together beautifully. It did leak at the air cap junction, which I solved with wax.
iwata-air-cap.jpg

Now, with that all being said, I do also have a good number of brushes that leak at the head junction. I have heard some makers "design" in some amount of air loss in this area, and that it is harmless. But, it makes me wonder how one can count on consistency if loosing an undetermined amount of air pressure before atomizing paint. I always look to cure this condition prior to calling any of my brushes ready to use.

Last edited:
The only time I notice any leak is when cleaning the brush and covering the tip to create back pressure to dislodge any dried paint inside...

If you drizzle cleaning fluid, or soapy water around the head and air cap junction while releasing air, you might just be surprised :). Brushes like the Iwata's depend on tight tolerance for creating seals around these areas. It is not uncommon to get a really fine foaming, even sometimes some legit bubble blowing in these areas. But, not always :). Brushes like the H&S (and some others,) are designed with O-rings and compression seals, and there should be no reason for air to be leaking in these areas if the brushes are working as designed. Then there are brushes like Badger, that make little or no provision for sealing, and tend to leak air around the heads and air caps like crazy.

In conversation, I was told that the head systems on Badger brushes were designed to flow correctly even with air escaping, and they were to be assembled just finger tight. When I laughed that their fingers must be much stronger than mine - because I had to use something to grasp the head with, it was mentioned that sometimes they get a little carried away with their soft jaw pliers while assembling them on the line. Hence, my lack of fear in using the appropriate tools on the outside (and inside) of my airbrushes... good enough for a factory, good enough for me.:thumbsup:

Today i work on lure, i cant find gasket to replace and bee wax.
When i come back i assembled all again and test it, there was not any loss of air.

Thanks guys for the information and for the advice, i am indebted to you for a few beers... :)

Back