Problem with new Badger

R

rrjr69

hello,

I've been airbrushing off and on for a couple of months and had been using a knock-off brand ab.
I finally decided to upgrade and after changing my mind several times on which one to buy, I ended up buying a Badger 105 Patriot.
I'd read many good reviews about the Patriot and was excited to be done with all the problems I've been having with the knock-off ab.

After trying the Badger for the first couple of times I noticed that it didn't seem right and hopefully someone here can help me.

Here's my set-up:
Badger 105 Patriot
DIY built compressor using a refrigerator compressor with a 2 1/2 gallon tank
Moisture trap and regulator on exit of compressor tank and a mini moisture trap on ab set at 20-25psi
Createx transparent paints
Black liquid ink
Water with food coloring

My main problem is when I pull back the trigger I don't get any paint until the trigger is over half way to fully open and then it really comes out fast.
I know it's not the paint being too thick because I've tried it with colored water with the same result.
When I tried to adjust the tension on the needle tube I started to get paint coming out as soon as I pressed the trigger down without pulling back.
As I decreased tension on the needle tube more paint will come out and when I increase tension less paint will come out until it will finally stop when I have it screwed in all the way.
I've cleaned it several times and broken it down all the way to make sure there wasn't something stuck inside. Which I wouldn't think you would have to do with a brand new ab.
Tried it again with the same result.
I then took it apart and replaced the tip with the extra one that came with the ab. After putting it back together when i tried it I got no air coming out of the ab and when I pulled back the for paint I get bubbles in the paint cup and air coming out between the head and spray regulator connection.
I once again stripped it down and cleaned everything, I even pulled out the carburator jet tool I use on my motorcycle and made sure the air passages in the head were clean. When I put it together and tried it again same result-no air coming from ab and bubbles in cup.
So I put the 1st tip back in and tried it again and it worked but I still have the problem of no paint until the trigger is over 1/2 way open.

I'm so confused and ready to throw it all in the trash. I thought getting a quality ab would make things easier. I must be doing something wrong but I can't figure it out.

Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to make sure I gave as much info as possible.
Thanks in advance for any help with my problem.

First too low of air pressure for regular Createx paint. Plus 25 PSI on the regulator means about 5 to 10 at the airbrush ..

As far as the bubble you either do not have the nozzle seat correctly or you have a clog.

But mainly unless you gauge is at the airbrush end of the hose .. You are trying to use too low of air pressure for the type of paint you are using.
Also is it water based ink?
Does it do the same thing with the food coloring?
When you push the needle into the airbrush to you feel tension right before the needle hits the cup?

I honestly believe you still have some dried paint stuck in the nozzle. I have had this happen many times with createx. What happened is a small clump you can't see gets in there and the needle keeps pressing it against the wall of the nozzle. Use a long, thin,paint brush with some strong cleaner on it and swirl it around in the nozzle and you will be amazed at what was left behind.

Yesterday is now history and tomorrow is a mystery. Treat today as a gift, because that's why they call it "THE PRESENT"
Josh

First too low of air pressure for regular Createx paint. Plus 25 PSI on the regulator means about 5 to 10 at the airbrush ..

As far as the bubble you either do not have the nozzle seat correctly or you have a clog.

But mainly unless you gauge is at the airbrush end of the hose .. You are trying to use too low of air pressure for the type of paint you are using.
Also is it water based ink?
Does it do the same thing with the food coloring?
When you push the needle into the airbrush to you feel tension right before the needle hits the cup?

Thanks for the reply.
When using the createx paint I thin it down to 1 part paint/5 parts thinner and always strain the paint.
The air supply comes from the compressor through about 10 feet of 1/2" hose to the moisture trap/regulator that I have mounted on the side of my work bench then from the regulator through a 6 ft long 1/8" airbrush hose to the mini moisture trap to the ab. With any more than 25psi all I get is massive spidering with the way the ab trigger is working.
It does the same with the food color.
I thought the same thing about the bubbles, but why does it do it with one nozzle and not the other?
I'm not sure about the ink, but I think it is water based.
Very little if any drag when inserting the needle.

I honestly believe you still have some dried paint stuck in the nozzle. I have had this happen many times with createx. What happened is a small clump you can't see gets in there and the needle keeps pressing it against the wall of the nozzle. Use a long, thin,paint brush with some strong cleaner on it and swirl it around in the nozzle and you will be amazed at what was left behind.

Yesterday is now history and tomorrow is a mystery. Treat today as a gift, because that's why they call it "THE PRESENT"
Josh

Thanks for the reply. I was thinking the same thing and that's why I switched nozzles. Then I got the bubbles in the cup and no air coming out of the ab.

I did not know the Patriot came with a spare
air cap. Kind of interesting. Really only reminds
me of clogging or massive tip dry , tip dry not being the issue of course. Maybe give Badger a call to ask questions of their tech line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Thanks for the reply. I was thinking the same thing and that's why I switched nozzles. Then I got the bubbles in the cup and no air coming out of the ab.

The nozzle that just blow bubble may be cracked.
At 1to5 reduction you should not be getting spidering at 35 PSI. unless you are painting on a hard surface.
Or you have a clog.
Lowrider found out you can use denatured alcohol and it will dissolve the dried paint . I usually use restorer made by createx.
But using a carb brush may damage the nozzle being the metal is thinner than that of a carb jet.

I did not know the Patriot came with a spare
air cap. Kind of interesting. Really only reminds
me of clogging or massive tip dry , tip dry not being the issue of course. Maybe give Badger a call to ask questions of their tech line.

Here's what came with mine

61FebUi18OL._SL1382_.jpgH

The nozzle that just blow bubble may be cracked.
At 1to5 reduction you should not be getting spidering at 35 PSI. unless you are painting on a hard surface.
Or you have a clog.
Lowrider found out you can use denatured alcohol and it will dissolve the dried paint . I usually use restorer made by createx.
But using a carb brush may damage the nozzle being the metal is thinner than that of a carb jet.

If the nozzle is cracked would I still get air coming out of the ab?

If the nozzle is cracked would I still get air coming out of the ab?

Yes and no depending on how large the crack is. I had one that the air would come out correctly but when I pull the trigger back it would blow paint out of the cup .

Here's what came with mine

View attachment 12582H

Cool you got a spare nozzle. I have bought 2 in the last year and they didnt come with a spare. You can also later on swap out to a finer needle/nozzle set , its a .3mm where the stock is a .5mm. I have one set up each way.

I have had the worst time with my patriot 105 also. I was having the same problems as you and i replaced the needle, tip and there was no paint crusted anywhere. I had to send mine back to badger and swap it out. Just contact them, ken (the owner) takes really good care of his customers. Bye the way where did you buy yours maybe there was a bad batch because there are a lot of people a month ago with the same problem.

I got feed up with the patriot and got a Krome... But a lot of people love the 105 mine sucked but I have a new one on the way. So hopefully it will work great also

I have had the worst time with my patriot 105 also. I was having the same problems as you and i replaced the needle, tip and there was no paint crusted anywhere. I had to send mine back to badger and swap it out. Just contact them, ken (the owner) takes really good care of his customers. Bye the way where did you buy yours maybe there was a bad batch because there are a lot of people a month ago with the same problem.

I got mine at Amazon. I purchased it on March 7th. I've solved the problem....Sort of...... I put the pretty new Badger back in it's case and returned to using the knock-off ab that I got for less then $1.00(US) off ebay.

Image (3).jpg
help with krome flow problems plse, i tried open new thread but too long,too short, too many charactors, too few charactors so gave up

View attachment 12822
help with krome flow problems plse, i tried open new thread but too long,too short, too many charactors, too few charactors so gave up

Thin your paint more and lower your pressure. The Krome has a way smaller nozzle than you other brush. Lowering your pressure will cut down on the spidering. It looks to me that's what it is because there are no broken spots in the line, just blobs from slight clogs. But then again it's just an idea :)

Josh

Back