Problems with Vellum

jarheadmech

Young Tutorling
I have a friend who has several unused pads of vellum, and he offered them to me. Are there any issues caused by airbrushing on vellum with water based acrylics?

Thanks

Vellum is made with cotton and wood fibers. Should be smoother than standard paper and I think it's less absorbent. Would be interesting to practice on at any rate.

Vellum is made with cotton and wood fibers. Should be smoother than standard paper and I think it's less absorbent. Would be interesting to practice on at any rate.
That is only actually half right Vellum is made from young animal skins, But in recent years Vellum papers have been designed and made as you state abovc. But Being I work in Rare Book preservation we see get vellum pads that are animal skin vellum as we need as close to exact to the original material the book or item is made from when restoring it.
But Vellum hold inks very well and certain paints and dyes but the newer Vellum with cotton /wood mixture acts more like a t shirt . This is what I learned doing test samples at work.

That is only actually half right Vellum is made from young animal skins, But in recent years Vellum papers have been designed and made as you state abovc. But Being I work in Rare Book preservation we see get vellum pads that are animal skin vellum as we need as close to exact to the original material the book or item is made from when restoring it.
But Vellum hold inks very well and certain paints and dyes but the newer Vellum with cotton /wood mixture acts more like a t shirt . This is what I learned doing test samples at work.
Thanks for the information @Mr.Micron, it's really appreciated. Didn't know there was still traditional, i.e. real, Vellum still being produced from animal skins. Those must be some REALLY rare books you work with. I used to be an engineer and in the 80s all the "Vellum" drafting paper I worked with was either 100% cotton rag or some mixture of cotton and wood fiber.
Nice to know what to expect of ersatz vellum painting-wise. :thumbsup:
Have you tried painting on real vellum?

Thanks for the information @Mr.Micron, it's really appreciated. Didn't know there was still traditional, i.e. real, Vellum still being produced from animal skins. Those must be some REALLY rare books you work with. I used to be an engineer and in the 80s all the "Vellum" drafting paper I worked with was either 100% cotton rag or some mixture of cotton and wood fiber.
Nice to know what to expect of ersatz vellum painting-wise. :thumbsup:
Have you tried painting on real vellum?
We mainly on use iron gall ink on have we have to do at work being the paper conservator try to match the item exactly as he can , I am the preservation Engineer which mean I am in charge of design custom housings and display cases for the items depending on how it will be stored for the long haul and that all depends on which Library if will be housed in or displayed in. I also do consulting work for New York Public, Library of Congress, Yale and uc berkeley and a local book bindery located in the norther part of the state.
I have played with both type on Vellum (Scrape pieces) to see how they like being airbrushed on. The traditional skin ones only like inks paint does not stick to it well. the cotton rag is like painting on a t-shirt , it soaks the paint in well.

Back