Pumpkins are hard to paint on.

M

Mark

Neither will stick to a pumpkin very well.

Finally found an excuse to get out the brush last night. The kids were given a couple tiny pumpkins and decided they wanted to paint those instead of carving a big one, and they wanted them airbrushed. SCORE. I let them draw the faces they wanted and I masked them off. One with blue painter's tape and the other with liquid masking. This is not my first rodeo but it was the first time with a pumpkin. Thinning did not work well so went with 1:1 paint and thinner. Covered great and with light passes I was able to build up the color. I shaded the eyes making them pop and it went pretty well. I started pulling the masking off and the WHOLE face came off with it. Lifted right off like it had never been put on the pumpkin. I tried to stick it to a piece of paper to show you guys but it fell apart.

I remasked whipped out the cheap acrylic paints and paint brushes. The same thing happened even though I tried pulling the tape before it was completely dry. I ended up free handing it with acrylic and it looks like I was as frustrated as I was. It took about 4 hours to do something that should have taken less than one.

Kids like them though. I guess that is what is important.

Anyone here have experience painting on the waxy hide of fruit?

I think there was a post about pumpkin painting. But Clean it with windex , or alcohol , than base coat it and paint that pumpkin ...
I have painted many pumpkins over the years and after learning what to wipe them down with they are not that bad to paint.

I've painted some pumpkins but I usually free hand it also if u use a clear base to give the paint something to bite into that will help alot. I've even taken the rattle can clear matte and sprayed that first it seemed to work ok

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks guys I will keep that in mind for next year. I cleaned the shell with soap and water, and it did not feel waxy. As the face came off my youngest son's pumpkin he said in classic 7 year old fashion "Screwed that up didn't ya dad."

Some times you have to laugh.

Thanks guys I will keep that in mind for next year. I cleaned the shell with soap and water, and it did not feel waxy. As the face came off my youngest son's pumpkin he said in classic 7 year old fashion "Screwed that up didn't ya dad."

Some times you have to laugh.

lol, dammmmmmn dad.. thanks alot.

I don't even know what a pumpkin is, I thought it was just a name a mother calls her 3 year old daughter when she couldn't remember her name, shows how stupid I am.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351744048.067516.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351744068.604117.jpg

Wipe down with isopropyl alky, freehand wicked straight from the bottle, rattle can clear afterward. Keep a hair dryer handy and you can make it flash faster and paint em quicker.

me and my son had a lot of fun this year as we also painted them, I just love the lack of mess and no dealing with the rotten mess on the porch. we didn't have much of a problem with adheasion tho so guess we got lucky.

Those are cool Randyhortonjr. I should have trusted my abilities and free handed it.

My youngest holds nothing back Ran. The oldest is like his mom if he does not like something he will compliment it but the tone of his voice says other wise. The 7 year old is like me...unfortunately.

Mark, I figure they're just pumpkins and they're going to rot away anyhow, if I mess it up I'll just paint over it...

I painted some a few years ago with a single action brush, before I knew what I was doing, lol... They turned out good. Got lots of compliments and those which I painted were so well preserved that they lasted like 3-4 months, non painted ones were rotted in a month. Same process I listed above...

I gotta try my hand at painting some pumpkins. I havent even thought about it until the last 2 days, lol.

On another note, you all just gave me a great idea, think I'll have my 6 year old set beside me, I'll read him each post you guys put on here and let him look at the pics, then I will type what he thinks about it, because just like Marks 7 year old, my 6 year old is dead straight with ya, lol. Might be a good way to get some excellent critiquing in here, haha.

Nice pumpkins Randy, definitely going to try this, may even try some for Thanksgiving this month.

I wanted to airbrush some high lights on my carved pumpkins but didn't get time.

Attachments

• pumpkin.jpeg
    pumpkin.jpeg
    84.2 KB · Views: 10
damn thats cool, and i like the cookies too, look like some good family time there my friend

Back