Question for pros ????

Jennifer Pace

Young Tutorling
Hi, am new to this form and an occasional airbrush user in my mural work. Recently, I wanted to use foils in my work and am not pleased with the application of the size (glue) as it shows brush marks so I thought of using my airbrush to apply for a more even allover effect. Even though the product is water based and able to be cleaned with soap and water I'm reluctant to use it in my airbrush as I don't want to gum up the works so to speak. Also, since it comes out in such a fine spray will it dry before it hits the surface and sit on the surface as dust? I've tried spray adhesives but they give a stippled finish. If anyone who has any insight into this could give me some guidance I would greatly appreciate your input.

Have you tried using either water or denatured alcohol to reduce it? Sounds like the adhesive is too thick and the brush marks remain after it dries. I'd take some small amounts of it and try different reductions to find the happy medium. Water as a reducer will make the adhesive take longer to dry, where alcohol will speed it up. May take combinations of both to work out right.

Welcome aboard, I agree with jagardn. I would try this first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your sizing should self level.
When doing leaf work, you need to let the sizing dry quite a while before applying your leaf.
You should be able to touch your sizing and not leave a print before applying .
The general window is about 10 minutes from ready to leaf and too dry.

I have never tried to apply it with an airbrush.. So i will be honest about that. But when properly done with a smooth (sable is what i would use) brush you shouldnt have any real trace of brush marks. The only time i would consider working wet with leaf is on a detailed framework.

I think ill have to do a small silver leaf job this upcoming week on a harley sidecover to match an existing piece. I will try and get video.

I recall a good friend of mine spraying size onto a panel or tank on a job and he used his airbrush. Unfortunately i don't remember reductions or usage time but i'm almost 100% it was done.

Lee

Back