For Every Airbrush Artist!

Ready to get involved? Register for free and you won't see any google advertising!

Register

"Race for the Face" Newbie challenge .

Discussion in 'The OC Challenge!' started by Mr.Micron, Jan 24, 2014.

1. bentneedle

bentneedle Double Actioner

hahaha....i was waiting for someone to notice.
    BTW, I think I'm gonna have to start over again. Screwed up my shapes because i was tracing back over the lines I had laid down earlier, then painted over. Figured I could go back and carve them back to the right spot after. My finger cramped up when I went back in for some more detail, and SPLAT! HUGE BLOBS OF PAINT right from her eye to the middle of her nose.
    I stood back, looked at it and.....well....this happened.:sorrow:
    IMG-20140209-00259.jpg
    I'm done for today I think.
    Gonna go crack a beer or something, gesso over everything and start fresh tomorrow.....'nother lesson learned. :tongue-new:
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2014
  2. Squishy

Squishy Queen Clown Slayer Mod

Crack a few mate. I think most of us have been there. You maybe could have covered the blobs, and saved it, but sometimes there's nothing like getting that frustration out and starting afresh.
  3. Anneliesje

Anneliesje Detail Decepticon! Very Likeable!

Lalala-land next to grove city and tomorrowland
    It's artistic freedom. At least thats what i tell everybody if my work ends like that.

Craziness is a gift, being serious is a curse
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2014
  4. CALz AyrWKz

CALz AyrWKz Moderator Mod

Did you enjoy your beer? Okay, now get back at it. Think about it, what did you learn and then apply it.
    We can all appreciate the frustration. Just don't give up. :)
  5. bentneedle

bentneedle Double Actioner

The beer was delightful...all of them were. Gotta love home brew, it's like having a custom designed liquor store in your basement.
    Just to assure you, I have no intention of giving up on this...oh no. I'm a stubborn Bluenoser who entered into this, and come Hell or High Water, it's gonna get done.
    I gesso'd the canvas again and am letting it dry now, sanding it smooth before I go to bed. I'll trace out my shapes before I head off to work in the morning (this time with a bit more patience and care) and tackle it when I get home.
    This was only a minor set-back.
  6. yelloscoot

yelloscoot Spider Splatterer

Okay, back when this all started I was really thinking of doing a wizard or something fantasy...but that got shot down. I was afraid I would not be able to do a realistic portrait. But over the past week or so I started one of my Lady Friend in Japan. She sent me a selfie that I liked a while back so I thought I would give it a go. My first attempt at it was a complete failure so I started over the next day.

Well I finished it this evening and posted it on Facebook for her to see. She loved it. Hell , I even surprised myself when it was all said and done. I took WIP photos all along the way in hopes it's not too late to get in on this. So, if it is not too late,...count me in and I will post my WIP.

This is her selfie and my reference:

image-1380900608197-V.jpg

This is only the second "real" painting that I've done. The first was the Monochrome Leopard from the other forum. If you want to see the first attempt also, ...it's hideous,...you'll have to let me play too. lol

Thanks ,
    Loren
  7. D Day

D Day Triple Actioner

Hey everyone!
    Just thought I would officially state that I must back out of the Race for the Face Newbie challenge. There simply is not enough time for me to complete it by the posted deadline. More descriptive... I would probably require three or four months to get this done. Have not even been able to look at, or hold my two relatively new Infinity CR+'s for more than a week now. The current developments and my responsibilities in them will require the majority of my time. Any new airbrush attempts from myself will be quite sporadic, possibly even non-existent, for the next one to one and one half years.

Edit...
    Hard to believe but, we just received information which will result in additional commitment on my part. Since I am not a professional airbrush artist ( quite FAR from that actually, LOL) I will very likely need to put airbrushing aside for that year to year and one half. This will include ANY extracurricular activities that are not directly involving bringing home the cash, all general home maintenance, and personal care.
    This truly sucks after recently purchasing two VERY nice airbrushes...
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2014
  8. Anneliesje

Anneliesje Detail Decepticon! Very Likeable!

Lalala-land next to grove city and tomorrowland
    D Day, I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully everything works out for you. Good luck!!
  9. yelloscoot

My Official Entry:

The Reference. This is my Lady Friend. She lives just outside of Tokyo. We met online and have been texting mostly, talking and sending photos and videos daily for ten months now. She sent me this photo a couple months ago and I really like the look. She has been a great supporter of my many projects and is always there for me. She loves any step by step I send her for any project and offers her thoughts. Except this one of course,...this was a surprise for her.

It took two attempts, but I'm calling it finished,...before I screw it up Royally.

image-1380900608197-V.jpg

Anyway,...on with it.

Completed using the following:

SOTAR 20/20
    Com Art Trans Black
    Gessoed Canson 140lb. cut to 16 x 18
    Eraser pencil
    Tracing paper
    Bristol 100lb.

CAM03157.jpg After tracing off my laptop screen, I transferred the image to Bristol 100lb to cut shields for mapping. I used the 100lb. stock because it was easy enough to cut by hand, yet rigid enough to hold up to being used again for masking off later. The back ground or lack of, remained in place until I called it done. This way I had no marks or overspray to worry about with the finished piece.

CAM03194.jpg CAM03206.jpg CAM03207.jpg CAM03211.jpg

With the largest area done it was time to face the dreaded face. Started with the eyes, lips then nose,. Carefully keeping any masks lined up properly.
    CAM03238.jpg CAM03239.jpg CAM03240.jpg CAM03242.jpg

Okay. By now I'm thinking..."so far, so good". But I know this is where I really started Royally Screwing Up my first attempt. And then things started getting out of control.

CAM03243.jpg CAM03245.jpg
  10. yelloscoot

After stepping back and pondering with a couple cups of coffee, it was time to continue.

First thing was to start erasing the areas that were beginning to look like the first attempt then start shading in and give this poor Lady some eye brows and hair. I was really worried about the hair may was over thinking. So I just took the eraser pencil and made long strokes in the direction to show flow, and, they just started to appear. How cool and easy was that. So I kept going until I was satisfied. Did't want to overdo it,...just kept it simple.

CAM03247.jpg CAM03250.jpg CAM03254.jpg CAM03256.jpg CAM03261.jpg

Then it was on to the coat. Remember thinking "oh crap...how". Well as it turns out the pencil works great for that too. So....off to the finish line. I erased and dusted several times to try and build texture. It didn't have to be reference perfect, because the coat wasn't the subject. But it worked for me.

CAM03273.jpg CAM03277.jpg CAM03278.jpg CAM03282.jpg

This is now coming to the end of my second completed painting. Time to reveal a spotless white background, and call it done.

CAM03288.jpg And as promised earlier,...here is the comparison between first and second attempts... collage_20140219181207987_20140219181749304.jpg

Thank you for checking it out, I hope you enjoyed a good laugh at the two results. I sure did.:excitement:

BTW...She loved seeing it on her Facebook, took her by complete surprise. We will plan on meeting this Spring or Summer for the first time.

Thanks,
    Loren

Attached Files:

11. malcolm

malcolm Spider Splatterer

Huge huge improvement. Well done

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  12. Justg

Justg Elite Member! Elite Member!

I would like to join the contest. I've been using my airbrush since December of 2013, though I have been creating art in other formats for years (not professionally, just for fun). Is this ok?
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2014
  13. yelloscoot

Well,...to the best of my knowledge...feel free to jump in. I pondered it for a while, then posted my completed entry very early this morning. Remember the due date to be completed and posted is March 15th,...my BD. Beware the Ides of March. :surprise:

Loren
  14. malcolm

Ok so I said I wanted to enter but due to lack of paint that I had I postponed. I thought about doing it in monochrome but have no idea how my paint is going to react to thinning, if it will go transparent or not. But I will never know unless I try. Will run my wip in a new topic. Hope I can finish before the 15tg

15. Justg

Justg Elite Member! Elite Member!

This doesn't have to be in colour right? I've only done 1 portrait so far black on white paper and I'm in the middle of a white on black that I was considering entering.
  16. malcolm

No it doesn't, well not as far as I can remember lol. It's just that I didn't want to do it in monochrome.

17. shadow2462

shadow2462 Elite Member! Elite Member!

The only restrictions I am aware of is it has to be a face of a human.. no cartoon, charicature, fantasy, ect.
  18. Scratchpaint

Scratchpaint Elite Member! Elite Member!

Last edited: Feb 23, 2014
  19. malcolm

O damn. That means mine won't count then..

20. shadow2462

shadow2462 Elite Member! Elite Member!

still about 18 days to do another......