For Every Airbrush Artist!

Ready to get involved? Register for free and you won't see any google advertising!

Register

"Race for the Face" Newbie challenge .

Discussion in 'The OC Challenge!' started by Mr.Micron, Jan 24, 2014.

1. Squishy

Squishy Queen Clown Slayer Mod Artist of the Month!

Cool MJ! Looks like you learnt a lot, well done for keeping the air on too. And when you get that reduction right, everything just becomes fun!
  2. bentneedle

bentneedle Double Actioner

OK, well, I've got my portrait Started.
    Chose my reference piece, Elvira: Mistress of Darkness
    Cassandra-Peterson-September-17-1951-American-actress-best-known-for-her-on-screen-horror-hostes.jpg
    Using my projector, I cropped the image down to just the face and lightly traced the basic shapes onto a 12 by 16 canvas.
    IMG-20140131-00220.jpg
    Printed off my reference pic and got everything ready to go.
    IMG-20140204-00238.jpg
    Sorry, but I really started to get into the work and didn't take too many progress pics, but started with a medium grey colour just to get my shapes and tones. Doing my work with my Badger 105, and a host of paint brands (getting airbrush compatible paints in Nova Scotia is a much bigger challenge than I had anticipated).Messed up a few places (ok, more than a few), but that's part of the learning process, right? Planning on going back in with some white to push everything back a bit, then coming back in again with some more greys and black tones.
    IMG-20140204-00239.jpg IMG-20140204-00240.jpg IMG-20140204-00241.jpg
    Lots of work to do, but I'm really learning a lot. Considering I've only ever done 2 complete pictures before (one was for Paint Pals), I'm pretty happy with how things are going so far.
    IMG-20140204-00242.jpg
    I'll keep ya's updated as I move forward with this piece.
    -bentneedle
  3. Anneliesje

Anneliesje Detail Decepticon! Very Likeable!

Lalala-land next to grove city and tomorrowland
    Ok, so I read about this compotition 2 day's ago. And thought to myself let's give it a try.
    I never painted a face before. Never used colors. Never started from a blank scary page.....
    A Newbie all the way lol. I'm sorry in advance but my writing isn't that great. Grammar s*cks.

Step 1: the search for a picture

I searched the net and found this beauty. I loved it in a heartbeat.

oude vrouw.jpg

Step 2: Sketch the image

I don't have a projector or something like that. So i just used my eyes and drew some guidelines on my paper with my trusted pencil lol.
    This is the result. I just started to paint when i realised i didn't take a picture (thats the line on the right).:05.18-flustered:

IMG_0244.jpg

Step 3: The dark areas

I started to do the dark parts of the image. The eye's, the shape of her face and the wrinkels.

IMG_0246.jpg IMG_0247.jpg IMG_0249.jpg

Step 4: The cloak

From there i just started to paint the cloak and earrings. Used som lace to get the effect in the trim of the cloak. This was a first to.
    So this is the result after 6h.

IMG_0254.jpg

Step 5: tweeking and coloring

So today I painted another 2 h. I just worked on the areas that weren't finished in my perspectief. First i used some white to highlight and then i went crazy with the black again lol.
    As finishing touches i made some texture arround the image. And i added some colour just becaus i never did that before. Babysteps i know.

IMG_0262.jpg IMG_0264.jpg

This was my 3 project the other 2 are on my profile. It's not photorealisme but some day i'll get there. I hope you like it.
    What did i learn so far.

- het was veel makkelijker geweest indien ik in het Nederlands kon typen want mijn Engels is niet fantastisch lol
    - Wrinkels are tricky but interesting to do
    - i still don't like to paint with white it's hard but i won't give up
    - I'm so addicted to this it's not normal!!!
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2014
  4. rab3rd

rab3rd Elite Member! Elite Member!

Something is wrong with your attachments...
  5. Madbrush

Madbrush Guest

I can see them on my phone but not here.
  6. Madbrush

Madbrush Guest

You can type in Dutch if you wish, but it is normally a rule to include a translation, if you have a problem there, there are many here who will help you, please ask if you need assistsance

Jij mag in het Nederlands schrijven, maar het is normaal om een translatie bij the schrijven, maar als dat moeilijk is, zijn er hier genoeg die je willen helpen, gewoon vragen als je help nodig heeft.
  7. Madbrush

Madbrush Guest

My mistake, I can't see them on my fone, I thought it was another post.
  8. Mr.Micron

Mr.Micron Royal pain in the air hose Admin

Ok Bentneedle wins just on reference photo I am a huge Elvira fan :D
  9. CALz AyrWKz

CALz AyrWKz Moderator Mod

Yes, your attachments are not working.
  10. shadow2462

shadow2462 Elite Member! Elite Member!

ok had a chance to finish up my project.....so, I finished the eyes and shaded the side of face and neck/shoulder IMG_0307.jpg Then added the nose, and mouth, IMG_0308.jpg then some final shading with white, added freckles, and calling it finished. IMG_0309.jpg Now for what I have learned....I have learned more on shading, using hard and soft lines (and how to soften a hard line in a pinch lol) I utilized my fibonachi shields for some of the curves, and over all I would say what I learned most of all was taking my time, and thinking it out as I go....oh yeah, portraits are still not my thing.lol

*** Another thing I have learned is that it is time to start investing in better paint surfaces, but with my budget I wouldn't be able to paint as often as I do now.:(
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2014
  11. Anneliesje

Anneliesje Detail Decepticon! Very Likeable!

Lalala-land next to grove city and tomorrowland
    Hey Guys and girls, just reuploaded (if that's a word lol) my photo's. I hope they work now.
    Thanks for understanding my faults in English madbrush but it's a good practice for me :tongue-new:.
    Bentneedle and Shadow nice work!! Love you're projects.
  12. Stu-Art-Designs1244

Stu-Art-Designs1244 Mac-Valve Maestro!

will there be things like this for ppl that have been airbrushing a little longer!
  13. rab3rd

rab3rd Elite Member! Elite Member!

Throw down the gauntlet, that is how this one got started... ;-)
  14. Squishy

Stu, I think that's what the All Star Challenge is. Did you see the last one with the zippo and the water flame? I just asked Herb about this and there is a new one coming along soon, March I think he said.
  15. Squishy

Cool Shadow and Anneliejse, and bentneedle, yours is coming on great too. It's awesome that everyone who has taken part so far, has put so much into it, so a big thanks to you all. It seems everyone is getting something from it and learning as they go, which is fab, and is also going to help future newbies too. Any other newbies out there wondering whether to give this a go, jump right in. :)
  16. Mr.Micron

Mr.Micron Royal pain in the air hose Admin

Stu did the last one:D
  17. shadow2462

Thanks Squishy, I was seriously thinking of giving up on this one but I realized I needed to go through with it if I wanted to learn. I was consumed with "portrait" that I almost lost the big picture...learning and growing!
  18. Squishy

Glad you stuck with it!!
  19. bentneedle

bentneedle Double Actioner

ok...i've run into some problems. I realized my tones were wrong and some of the shapes were off, so I sprayed over with white to knock everything back a bit and then go back in.
    IMG-20140208-00250.jpg
    That seemed like an alright idea. From here, I went back in and did some more work on the lines and shapes.
    IMG-20140208-00251.jpg
    Hmm...she's starting to look a bit better. Maybe a bit of colour, just for fun...

IMG-20140208-00252.jpg
    Oh. Crap. What have I done? All I can see is Marge after using Homer Simpson's Make-up Gun.
    makeup gun.jpg
    Lesson Learned: Step back from your piece OFTEN. I got so caught up on building those lines and spraying some base colour down in little sections and not seeing the whole piece, that I got lost on what I was trying to make in the end.
    This is where things stand now. I sprayed white over it all again, but left everything as a light shadow so I can attack it again today.
    IMG-20140208-00253.jpg
    She looks creepier than ever.
    Any advice people? Should I just gesso the entire thing and start from scratch, or work with what I've got on here.
  20. shadow2462

I think you left out the best part of the reference. lmao :devilish: