Recommendations for plasitc primer

S

Sean Chappell

Hi all!

I've got a friend who paid good money to have his welding helmet airbrushed. Well... After a year, the paint is cracking and chipping off and doesn't seem to be sticking to the plastic all that well.

Since I'm getting into airbrushing, I thought I'd paint up my own helmet (in acrylics). Can anyone recommend a good primer that will make sure my paint job sticks for life?

I live in Ontario, Canada and have access to places such as Canadian Tire, Home Depot, Lowe's and Rona although there may be specialty paint supplies available at other locales. I spotted the Zinsser 123 Bullseye primer at work which says it works well on just about everything. I could load that in my airbrush and go to town. Just not sure if I should.

What would you recommend?

Rockin!

Sean

Welcome aboard Sean!! First off, sand it all down good, your choice in grain...Then use Wax/degreaser (found mine in the auto parts store), clean it up good. Then you can use Bulldog Adhesive promotion, works great on plastic, and then prime. You can use whatever primer you choose at that point. You can also try Createx Sealer, great product.
Hope that helps ya out a little bit.
(Buddies welding helmet musta not been properly prepaired first)

Welcome aboard Sean!! First off, sand it all down good, your choice in grain...Then use Wax/degreaser (found mine in the auto parts store), clean it up good. Then you can use Bulldog Adhesive promotion, works great on plastic, and then prime. You can use whatever primer you choose at that point. You can also try Createx Sealer, great product.
Hope that helps ya out a little bit.
(Buddies welding helmet musta not been properly prepaired first)
Exactly what I used to do. The Createx sealer comes in light and dark. (White or Black). Also you should use a water base degreaser. It is expensive but it goes a long way.

Paint on

I cleaned really well, scuffed with a red scotch pad and used sealer white from Createx....Then cleared with spraymax 2k
He has been using the helmet everyday at work and has told me it is still like the day I painted it...
IMG-20150513-02935.jpg IMG-20150523-02974.jpg

Edit.....meant to say after it was painted, used spraymax

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for your advice. I'm hoping to meet up with twood this weekend. Maybe I'll get a first hand look at all these handy dandy products :) Looking forward to painting my first ever three dimensional object :)

Rockin!

Back