reducing color correctly for fine details

thank you for your advice. i will restart this project later on. but i still get confused what to do first and next. still a lot to learn......
which is best? airbrushing on black or white?

thank you for your advice. i will restart this project later on. but i still get confused what to do first and next. still a lot to learn......
which is best? airbrushing on black or white?

I always start with the black, if your doing a tiger or leopard, the spots and stripes are a handy reference for the rest of your piece, I don't actually use black, I use a dark brown/umber colour to combat the "blue shift" problem, I then do all the white hair textures and once I'm satisfied with my black and white image only then do I add any colour.

Most colours other than black and white are strong and behave like dies and will tint other colours around them, as you've seen even the over-spray has this effect, I sometimes use this to my advantage, if I want green eyes for example I first apply blue doing detail and shadows as I go, then I go over the blue with transparent yellow until I get the desired green that I want, this saves me mixing a load of colour just for 2 small eyes.

There is nothing wrong with the way you did your tiger, but if you want start with some colour, you could make use of shield to protect your white areas.

Back