Reduction ratio (starting point)

SiRoxx

Party Boy UK Style
Staff member
Mod
Hey Guy's,
I know there isn't a straight answer with reduction as there are so many factors, but the guy in this video is quoting Drew Blaire and suggests 3.5 parts paint to 1 part reducer. The video is about creating fine lines and uses an Eclipse CS and a Micron. That seems like a really think mix for doing tight detail and fine lines. Lot's of people on the forum would suggest going massively more reduced than that and their work shows that they know what they're doing, wether they're using Wicked, Etac or whatever. So what am I missing here? Is it a simple case that Trident paint (used in the vid) is very thin from the bottle? Please feel free to move this post if it's better suited in Beginner Questions.

There’s that million dollar question lol
Dru Blair (not Drew Blaire) doesn’t reduce the Createx illustration when doing the ‘classroom in a box ‘ and he’s using the iwata cm-sb
It really is a case of trial and error with each brush, paint and substrate combo you use and once you have your base line (which will be different for each user depending on their location around the world.) you then tweak it depend on the climate you have on that day if you’re not lucky enough to have a climate controlled area

Start with 15psi and 1:1 (paint:reducer) and slowly add reducer and mix before spraying. You’ll find the sweet spot

Damn my chubby fingers! Haha. I think my mixture is getting there, after lot's of help from the forum. This one was so very different from where I seemed to be headed with reducing. But I'll keep experimenting for sure :thumbsup:

Trident paint was design by Daniel Powers. It does flow like urethane mainly because it pretty much it. There has been much debate when it first came out on if it is a true water based paint But I have heard even some of the E'tac folks say it flow better then that.
There is also a video showing Wicked paint being used straight out the bottle no reducer through a Eclipse and a micron. Through the eclipse I can see and have done but I have tried it with the micron @35 psi and felt like I was spraying sand.

As Jackie suggest if you want to find the sweet spot for painting in the area of the world you live in start with 1 drop paint and 1 drop reducer. Add reducer 1 drop at a time until you get a smooth flow.

Any paint will spray at high pressure. And then you just need to adjust the speed you are working at.

I would not call that fine detail what he is showing, even the dots from that Micron. What I consider detail will not be seen by the camera at the distance he is working at. And for that you will have to reduce like crazy and drop the pressure to almost nothing.

micron_etac.jpg

Last edited:
Trident paint was design by Daniel Powers. It does flow like urethane mainly because it pretty much it. There has been much debate when it first came out on if it is a true water based paint But I have heard even some of the E'tac folks say it flow better then that.
There is also a video showing Wicked paint being used straight out the bottle no reducer through a Eclipse and a micron. Through the eclipse I can see and have done but I have tried it with the micron @35 psi and felt like I was spraying sand.

As Jackie suggest if you want to find the sweet spot for painting in the area of the world you live in start with 1 drop paint and 1 drop reducer. Add reducer 1 drop at a time until you get a smooth flow.
I did wonder if the paint was the main factor. I'm happy I know what to do for a craft paper surface, but am thinking that a heavily reduced mix would spider like crazy on a non porous surface.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Back