Reflected light

splasha

Detail Decepticon!
Hi, All.
As most of you are aware, I'm attempting to do a rather large-ish Unicorn pic as a gift for my other half.
I find I'm having difficulty in creating the glassy, wet effect on the eyes.
I have laid down the iris and pupil area, in dak brown an black, but wish to have some reflection on his right hand side because that's where my light is from.
Any suggestions gratefully recieved.
Thanks,
Splasha

Attachments

• IMG_20150501_063503.jpg
    IMG_20150501_063503.jpg
    233.6 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_20150501_063503.jpg
    IMG_20150501_063503.jpg
    233.6 KB · Views: 62
lovely unicorn :). As for the eyes this is how I would go about it (just one of a milion ways)

1 Glaze the whole eye over with a reduced white.
2 Next use a less reduced white towards the front and side (not the top and rear) and build it up a bit stronger thare (don't overdo it). 3 Next go in with the darkest color again and redo the realy dark parts.
4 With a none reduced white put in the highlights (looks good to do a speck or two of realy small highlights in the spots you hit in step 2)

Quick photoshop example (can be done way nicer with the airbrush)

airbrush unicorn.jpg
h

Last edited:
Thank you so much, Hassje.
This is exactly the look I was trying to achieve!
Will the under colour [ dark brown oxide ] be visible through it?
I'd really like to be able to keep this base colour just visible.

Thank you so much, Hassje!
This is exactly the look I've been searching for.
I didn't want to attempt anything and risk stuffing it up.
Will the under colour [ dark brown oxide] still be visible through this?
I'd really like to make that happen, if at all possible.
Thank you, also, for the mini SBS.
It is very much appreciated, my friend.

Will the under colour [ dark brown oxide ] be visible through it?
I'd really like to be able to keep this base colour just visible.

If you apply the white sparingly (as you should) it should just make the eye a tad glazy and not affect the color too much.

You can also build it up slowly and when you think it affects the color not to your liking just keep the white wash at the highlight spots and the bottom and leave the top 3/4th of the eye in it's original color

Thanks again.
I may not get time to paint today, but I'll at least get the masking / prep work done so I
can start clean and ready to go, whenever I'm able.
I will do the same on the opposite eye, as well.
When I'm happy with it I'll post it for everyone to scrutinise.

Find a good pic of a horse eye on Google and copy it. Just paint the shapes you see. Anything I've never painted before I do a couple practice runs on scrap paper first just to get used to the shapes

Thanks Capt.,
I have done a few trial runs on printer paper, just to see what effects I could maybe use.
I think Hassje's is the simplest and the most like the effect I originally imagined for this peice.
A very good idea, though, when you're uncertain as to how something's going to appear in your work and one that's well worth doing
if you have the slightest doubt about what you are attempting.
Thanks again.

Hi @haasje dutchairbrush what would you consider over reduced white for this exercise? I used opaque white reduced about 400% with transparent reducer (seemed to work OK) - would you consider going higher?

I use the term "overreduced" to indicate you realy need to reduce. The problem is everyone has his/her own prefered reduction methods, what I call overreduced might be normal reduction for another :p.

To give a small indication (note that some experience with your paint brand also comes into play as some colors can handle or need more reducing) what it means for me when using E'tac / createx illustration in a cm-c (0.18)

none: straight from the bottle
light: 2-4 paint 1 transparant base 1-2 water
normal (what I in general use):: 1-2 paint, 1 transparant base, 2 water
heavy: 1 paint, 2-3 transparant base, 3-4 water
Over reduced: add more water/transparant base to heavy reduced till I get the effect I want. (normaly I don't want to notice I'm adding pigment till the 3th-4th pass)

Note that at anytime the drops of water never exceeds the drops of paint + transparant base in order to retain viscosity.

Perfect, thanks for that. If anything I generally should up my pressure and reduce less I think. The comment about the number of passes will be a great guideline. Cheers!

Back