Regulator on larger compressor

N

Neural

So I finally got a larger compressor (yay).

The max is 150psi on it. Obviously I don't need 150psi to do air brushing (for one, I like having hands/fingers)

The owners manual says nothing about using the regulator beyond turn counter clockwise to lower the pressure, and turn clockwise to increase it.

When I use a air/blower tip and hold the trigger down, I then turn the knob counterclockwise, but getting it down to around 30psi for airbrushing ...isn't happening? I got to the point where air started to seep out of the regulator knob area, and when I released the trigger on the air nozzle, the pressure readout on the regulator shot back up a ways.

What am I doing wrong, and what is the safest way to go from 90psi, down to 30psi for air-brushing, then back to 90psi for tool use?

Not shure I understand, can't you get ned PSI to drop at all, or do you get it to 30 psi when using blower tip and when releasing the handle the psi goes up to max again?

I know that some regulators you need to "lift" the knob before it starts to change the pressure.

I use max on my compressor and have another regulator where I airbrush to set my pressure.

I've just bought a new compressor which is also 150 psi max, being small mine has no regulator at all, just a gauge that states the pressure contained in the tank, this means there would be no way to adjust working pressure and it would be all or nothing, if you inspect the regulator on yours you'll notice a little pinhole on the main body just under the knob, if you try to turn the pressure down to almost nothing air is redirected out of that pinhole as a built in safety feature, there should be a little sticker on the body of the regulator stating the scope of adjustment it can handle, for example, mine states 1.5 bar to 10 bar despite the compressor only being capable of 8 bar, but again this is a safety feature, obviously a 6 bar regulator couldn't handle 8 bar.

Clearly we want to be able to adjust below 1.5 bar/21.7 psi for airbrushing, but your compressor's regulator (probably ) doesn't allow that.

To solve the problem I have ordered two regulators, one will be attached permanently to tge compressor with the usual 1/4 quick release on the out end, I'll have a standard 1/4 hose going from that to the second regulator which will be on my desk, the second regulator is the same type found on mini airbrush compressors and will allow for lower pressure adjustment, the first regulator will be set at 60 psi and the second at around 30 psi, further adjustments can be done using the MAC under the brush, this set-up allows me to remove the hose from the first regulator so that the compressor can still be used for tools using the standard 1/4 size fittings.

In a nutshell, your compressors regulator is fine for tools but you need a second smaller (8 bar) one for airbrush use with a 1/4 to 1/8 adapter on the out end for your airbrush.

Hope this helps:)

Last edited:
Is it possible (and safe) to have one air hose with the secondary regulator on it, and then another air hose for the tools, and then just switch them? Thus allowing me to leave the main compressor regulator at 90psi?

Is it possible (and safe) to have one air hose with the secondary regulator on it, and then another air hose for the tools, and then just switch them? Thus allowing me to leave the main compressor regulator at 90psi?

Yes. That's what I do except I leave the compressor one at 60 because I won't use any more than that.

Back