Returning Artist

M

msillustrator

Hello all,
Its been many moons since I've been able to even pick up a pencil without one of my little ones either screaming,"Mom" or claiming the pencils as theirs so now that the last one is out of the house, i have decided to see if I can airbrush or if I have been left behind. I had about a 6 month job like over 20 years ago, and I dont know if its so advanced that I could catch up or not (kinda like technical world) You know you get too far behind you dont know what any of it is anymore. So I live in Nashville, Tn and I purchased a california Air Tools 5510 compressor but I was hoping to get some opinions for the best tee shirt airbrush plus the best airbrush for speciaal effects body art etc. All help would be greatly accepted and appreciated. Thanks again and sry for the long post.

Hi from Australia.
where in the world are you ? I'm guessing US somewhere, we have a good spread across the globe.
As for being 'left behind' with the airbrush I doubt that will be a problem. The brushes and paints may have changed a little but the basic theory is still there. regardless of any changes since your last adventure with it, we are here to help and guide where possible :)

Like you, I started various new journeys once the nest emptied and am having a ball.

@RebelAir is our resident tshirt guru, so hopefully he will jump in and correct me if I'm wrong, but a good all rounder workhorse airbrush is the Iwata Eclipce CS, with a .35mm needle it will go from tshirt to cosplay to art easily. As for paint... Createx make a range of paints. The standard Createx airbrush paint is suitable for tshirts and most of your cosplay costumes, but if going on skin you'll need a body paint that is suitable for airbrush. Google will guide if no-one else pops in with a suggestion.

As for a long post, wait till Rebel Air gets going........ you'll need a cuppa lol

Ahh fair go @JackEb..bash the aussie week huh LOL..Two cuppers are a minimum..and a bikkie..On the gun, Anthem...It takes some getting used to be you'd be mad getting a gravity feed to start of with..Start with the best and thats a badger Anthem..But hold onto em tight..they have a mind of their own at times :) But either way doesn't really mater..An airbrush is the best start :)..can always build in any direction ya want to go.

Ahh fair go @JackEb..bash the aussie week huh LOL..Two cuppers are a minimum..and a bikkie..On the gun, Anthem...It takes some getting used to be you'd be mad getting a gravity feed to start of with..Start with the best and thats a badger Anthem..But hold onto em tight..they have a mind of their own at times :) But either way doesn't really mater..An airbrush is the best start :)..can always build in any direction ya want to go.
What do you mean bash the Aussie WEEK...? only a week... :)

Oh what I mean with that is generally tshirts are just the canvas, really depends what you want to paint on them, if its a detail piece a detail gun may be the best but being a forgiving substrate you can get away with blasting it in a bit easier. Anthems good for color change and both detailing and blasting and tshirts are a fine mix pending on what your painting on em..But can do much the same with a gravity anyway, just gotta fill em all the time and constant cleaning between colors and that annoys...professionals will use an array of guns, all for their best need and ability as some guns do their made job better than any other..and of course down to what suits the artist..you can have a manifold filled with gravity's also but sitting at home, how fast you paint it isn't a concern and the best brush is just the best brush for you..If you find it comfortable and easy to use any brush will do the job. PS Just pleasing jackeb with at least a half tea post :)

Oh what I mean with that is generally tshirts are just the canvas, really depends what you want to paint on them, if its a detail piece a detail gun may be the best but being a forgiving substrate you can get away with blasting it in a bit easier. Anthems good for color change and both detailing and blasting and tshirts are a fine mix pending on what your painting on em..But can do much the same with a gravity anyway, just gotta fill em all the time and constant cleaning between colors and that annoys...professionals will use an array of guns, all for their best need and ability as some guns do their made job better than any other..and of course down to what suits the artist..you can have a manifold filled with gravity's also but sitting at home, how fast you paint it isn't a concern and the best brush is just the best brush for you..If you find it comfortable and easy to use any brush will do the job. PS Just pleasing jackeb with at least a half tea post :)

Didn't even make it past one mouthful !! but I've been told I have a big mouth LOL
would a siphon feed be a better option ?? quick changes, higher volume of paint etc etc....

can you tell I don't 'do ' tshirts ?

Welcome to the forum msillustrator, you need to go for a brush with a 0.35 up to a 0.5 setup. Badger, Iwata, Paasche, Harder & Steenbeck just a few makes. You might want to go with a bottle feed for shirts. It seems that most shirt painters have them. Standard Createx or Badger Spectra-tex for textiles, I believe wicked works too. For body paint i have no experience in that area but there are a few paints out there, Temptu and mist-air are 2 i can think of. Like i said, i've not used them though so cant say how they spray. just make sure they are "airbrush" paint or you will have trouble. Enjoy your stay here, im sure we will get you sorted and painting very quickly.

lee

Hi and welcome from the UK. I agree siphon fed guns seem to be faces with t-shirt guys, and Wicked by Createx can be used along with the regular createx. As for forgetting stuff, well it'll probably come back, and if not and you have to start again, then *shrugs* not the end of the world, lots of help here to get you going again :)

Welcome back to the art world (yes airbrushing is art) hope you stick around and ask as many questions as you want,We like answering them and you may get more then one correct answer to the question too! also post up some of your works,Drawings painting anything you think is art?

Back