Review: Olympos HP-100SB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice write up Andre, but based on that I shall forget about ordering one, which is a shame since I had high hopes that the news would have been more positive, your pictures say it all and I've seen enough to keep me form bothering to look at them again and I'll stick with my iwatas.

It was good of you to take the time to put the review together, but it kind of makes me feel guilty that you spent your own money and time to do this while I have been saved the disappointment at no cost at all, having said that, had I received one in the same condition as I see your's in I very much doubt that my review had I done one would have so polite as yours, so thank your for sparing me that embarrassment also:thumbsup:

To be just a little fair, I just received a new iwata HP-SB+ from Foxy studios, upon opening the box I noticed that the needle limiter screw part of the preset handle had scrapes on it which where also chromed over, the rest of the brush including the main part of handle is gleaming so I'm not too worried since I never use the preset dial and it nothing to with how the brush operates, also the brush was reduced in price, I know this has nothing to do with Foxy Studios and I'm certainly not about t complain to them.

Thanks again Andre, you've no doubt helped a few to come to an easier decision when it comes to choosing a brush:thumbsup:

OH, and your site looks very cool:)

Thats a great review, i love honesty, and also your skills at writing 15mm words :)
Makes you really appreciate the quality of Iwata. Thanks bud

I wondered about the quality of the Olympos HP 100 SB but I will stick to my old secondhand Iwata HP SB+

@Malky, no need to apologize. It could just as well have been the other way and then I would have been in trouble because I would then had to buy more. I have ordered a new needle and wil revisit the review then.

@Malky, no need to apologize. It could just as well have been the other way and then I would have been in trouble because I would then had to buy more. I have ordered a new needle and wil revisit the review then.

You mentioned a painting, have you started a painting with yet? or are you waiting for the new needle?

You mentioned a painting, have you started a painting with yet? or are you waiting for the new needle?
I have started it but was holding back till I got the Olympos. Did the hair but not comfortable to go further with the Olympos. Will finish it with the Micron.

Nice review!!! Thanx for share your time and knowledge!!! It help me a lot with my decision!!!

Marcos IPhone's

A honest review there Andre'. The slightly inferior finish to the chrome doesn't really bother me. I care more about how it paints.

I have the MP200 to put through its paces in the next week or so. I too will give it an honest review. I'll be using Marissa EFX so i know the paint will be no issue. We shall see how it performs.

Thanks for posting.

Lee

That's really odd. The 100sb I have is flawless even down to the cup. It is insanely finicky with reduction and may cause headaches with anything other than ink consistency paints, but I have found that all olympos hp100's seem that way. I had to reduce quite a bit more than my micron with the .18 setup. I rarely use it because I get impatient but when its on it gives the micron a run for its money. Seems hit or miss quality on a lot of their stuff these days, just a shame you got a turd. I have found them to be awesome super detail guns.

Your review was very well written and full of great information. I was somewhat let down. Something about Olympos calls to me. An airbrush Legend. I have to know for myself. I ordered the MP-200c today.

I will post my findings. Looking forward to your review @jord001

OK not to start a war here :)
BUT that review is so far from the truth, its ridiculous. I have a CM-SB and the finish has some of same machine lines in it as my 100sb.
Maybe his got damaged. I sent him a gun I tested myself. I have 20 of them here and they are all perfect.
But as far as how they spray. They spray amazing if you are using transparent acrylics. That is the only way I have tested them. He also said his needle was damaged. How can you review an airbrush and bash the crap out of it with a damaged needle ?? Anybody who seriously is considering an Olympos should completely dis -regard that review.

Here is something I found:

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

B grade brushes sold for parts. I'm not saying that is what you got. Just that it exists.

Also, no genuine replacement parts. "Substitute parts" whatever that means.

Hopefully someone can shed some light on this subject.

Here is something I found:

View attachment 45271
View attachment 45272

B grade brushes sold for parts. I'm not saying that is what you got. Just that it exists.

Also, no genuine replacement parts. "Substitute parts" whatever that means.

Hopefully someone can shed some light on this subject.

I will shed some light on that. That is strictly for the 3 olympos 200 series a,b &c models ONLY.
They do not have replacement parts for those 3 . Not mp-200. Not hp-100 Not sp. JUST the 200 series 200 a, b, & c.
What he got. he got from me. He said he was on his way to loving it. The next thing you know he writes all this about it. I tested it. Before I sent it.
It did not have a damaged needle. IDK what happened. As far as that spot that looks like corrosion. Windex residue looks exactly like that.

I am a little surprised at his comments. Its like he went out of his way to make it look bad. There is no reason to do that. All he had to do was tell me to send another. He asked me for needles and nozzles. Then I never heard from him again.

That is good news about replacement parts. Thanks for your knowledge on the subject.
Your welcome. That stupid page has caused alot of confusion for people. I owned all 3 of those irregular models. They were junk. and no reason to exist . they were like hp models with finer needles.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back