how to paint Roses?

O

Oddball

Hi Guys, might have a job coming up painting roses on a scooter ....
Not being a flower power type I'm looking for any tips anyone can give me.
I instinct tells me to make a series of masks but I was wondering if there is a quicker way to paint roses? Time is money! ;)
Thanks.
Marty

Well i did one for my wife awhile back so heres the wip from that.
http://www.airbrushforum.org/threads/a-rose-for-the-wife-wip.2298/

I just freehanded it which would be a lot faster. I just outlined the pedals from a sketch, transferred my line work, and did my dark shading first. Then i went over it with orange for a base for the red (the orange gives the red a rich tone) and then layed the red in and built the red tones into the dark shades by building saturation. Hope this helps a bit! The link for the finished product is at the end of the thread.

Last edited:
Thats fantastic @Visual Realm I did a search and nothing came up for rose? Oh well.
The problem is we are worlds apart in our abilities! When I eventually get his present job done I might have a go at something like that.
Thanks for posting it

No other takers?
Looking for a simple but effective way to paint roses ......Please ..... anyone?

Well there is really 2 ways. Freehand or mask. You can cut a mask and peel each layer as you go, or layer it by cutting out of paper and spraying through it. I prefer freehand cause its quicker to me.

My suggestion would be to use a photo? or somesuch image as your guide, base your colours on the one you like; then [darkest first] create a set of stencils to create the roses you need.
Remember to fuzz the outlines, and to blend those colours!
Also take careful note of the light direction as this will affect the tones on the petals.

I have some old rose training many years ago still remain. (I did not have yet a small detail AB.)
I started in the middle, cutting off every time a new petal, cutted pieces I used as a positive stencil, etc. ...

Attachments

• rose.jpg
    rose.jpg
    491.4 KB · Views: 34
When I did some on a toilet seat awhile ago, I just used random pieces of thick paper as a shield, some I cut, and others I tore, so that the fibers were still attached....does that make sense? Lol, remember, Squishy and I are the whatchamacallits, and thingy majiggy ladies lololol

How did I miss this one? Awesome work! I'm going to have to read the whole thread when I get home. Guess I need to search your posts a little better.
I think i did this long before you came on here Helio. Ive got plenty of posts so i might take you a bit lol Knock yourself out though!

When I did some on a toilet seat awhile ago, I just used random pieces of thick paper as a shield, some I cut, and others I tore, so that the fibers were still attached....does that make sense? Lol, remember, Squishy and I are the whatchamacallits, and thingy majiggy ladies lololol
PMSL! Meesh I believe those are the correct technical terms LOL!!!!!!

Back