Safety with 2k Clear?

J

Juicegoose

For small items like I paint utilizing roughly less then 1oz of catalyzed urethane clear at a time would a 3m respirator with organic filter and small portable airbrush booth with fan venting out of the garage be sufficient?

Obviously the stuff is dangerous just not sure on such small scale how much protection is required.

Also if there is an alternative out there to a 2k clear that will give me great shine and more importantly durability then I would love to know.. I'm still new at this.

Lastly is it the atomization that is dangerous or the actual fumes from the the drying parts?

there is as far as I know no alternative for 2k clear that offers the same protection / has the same properties. i gues there is a reason why every one still uses it :p.

The nasty stuff in it is also absorbed through skin thats why you see people using it dressed in space suits (if they are doing it right :p). That being said I realy wonder how "bad" it is when you clear a small object and wear a good respirator (as i know serveral people clearing bikes without any protection what so ever.... they do all hassle remembring their pincode though o_O), if you won't be doing it daily for hours on end I would settle for just the respirator (thats just me though the political/airbrush correct answer is ofcourse to wear the space suit always :rolleyes:)

Full suit for safety, or you can try my version of putting said item outside and blasting with respirator on. After years of abuse my body expects nothing less..... Climbing into my falme proof suit.......

Make sure the filter is the correct type (3m has good guidelines) and you should consider your neighbours. Skin coverage is important because isocyanate gets in through pores as well. It is the atomisation that is dangerous although it is good practice to avoid smelling any of the fumes.