Sand Candy2o?

C

Camotoe

Hello, I'm new to this forum and new to this style of painting. I'm painting an indoor sign (business logo) with createx Candy2o paints. Where I taped, I got some paint build up and it now has a little ridge. I'm wondering if I can sand it down flat, then put a fresh coat of candy2o paint before clear coating? Has anyone ever run into this problem and whats the best way to fix it? The redish color is candy20 with some pearl added, the green is half candy, half wicked paint with pearl.
Thanks in advance for any advice!

Attachments

• 20170708_125512.jpg
    20170708_125512.jpg
    261.6 KB · Views: 21
That's a tricky one. I would maybe try and re create the problem on something scrap and do a few tests. My thought is that as the colour of candy is built up in layers, if you sand back and remove layers it may leave a lighter patch - just speculating. Would it be possible to have a pinstripe there? that might be the easy option - carefully flat it back without affecting the surrounding area, then stripe it.

Well question time.
How many coat of the candy O2 did you apply ?
It is suggested on most paints to remover the tape before it is 100% cured so that the tape line has a chance to lay flat.
It would be wiser to put on a clear coat to protect the area due to it is a candy which means it is harder to match the exact color depth that you have built up .
That being said 1000 grind or higher with very light pressure can smooth it out some.

Thats not a bad Idea with the pin stripe option. The build up came from spraying the sealer silver base before the candy. I've repainted this thing 3 times already from different problems I've run into. Usually from me trying to fix a tiny something and it makes it worse.
For the pin strip, would you tape of each side of the ridge, sand it down, then repaint that area with a black paint maybe?

Good luck matching it 100% unless you weighed the pearl you added to X amount of paint, It being candy which slightly changes in color/depth every coat you apply just makes it that much more difficult.
I would very very lightly use 1500-2000 grit just to take the ridge away then pin stripe it. If you plan to put down a pin stripe say 1/4 in width, I would mask off a section 3/16 in width and lightly sand the ridge, remove the tape and lay your pin stripe. Again just another way to think about doing it, there is no right way... just the way that works for you.

Thanks everyone for your speedy replies. I'm going to follow your advice, tape, lightly sand, pin stripe, clear coat and call this one a wrap.

Back