For Every Airbrush Artist!

Ready to get involved? Register for free and you won't see any google advertising!

Register

SataGraph 4

Discussion in 'Airbrushes' started by ceezybeast, Oct 17, 2014.

1. ceezybeast

ceezybeast Young Tutorling

Thoughts on this airbrush??
  2. AndreZA

AndreZA Elite Member! Elite Member!

Mickey Harris seems to like it. But it's just a Badger/Vega and the 0.4 setup is too big for my liking
  3. Immortal Concepts

Immortal Concepts Detail Decepticon!

Sponsorship I'm sure... imo sata should stick to their hvlp guns they are awesome but their airbrushes are nothing special and have odd nozzle sizes and weird cup configuration.i was given one (not sure which) to test out awhile back and didn't like the way it felt trigger wise and the 1 piece trigger assembly is kinda weird. Does look a lot like an h&s and since sata is german engineered I'm sure that was the inspiration. Can't say it's a horrible airbrush but I think it belongs in the lower end class.
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2014
  4. Nessus

Nessus Gravity Guru

I had been thinking about one f these too, but unfortunately could not find any info about them online apart from Sata's own promo videos. There seems to be no real reviews out there that tell you anything more than what you'd get reading the standard catalog info on a vendor's website. Didn't feel comfy taking that risk.

Still curious, but only academically now. The time when it might have been relevant to me as far as purchasing goes is past.
  5. Immortal Concepts

Yeah its not common, I've seen a few ads in airbrush action but it's usually Jonathon pantaleon and he doesn't use that airbrush normally, and I've seen him do promo for dagr too but anytime he does videos or real work it's always an iwata and its even in his banners on his website. Doesn't matter what field it is corporate bs always creeps in. But hey who can blame them, if someone threw a bunch of money or supplies at me I would do the same in this day and age.
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2014
  6. littlerick

littlerick Mac-Valve Maestro!

I think you have to look at as many reviews as you can... good ones are easy to spot, also you can see the "i'm doing this for cash or free gear" ones. They can all be informative, but get a good review from people who use the gear and show it working.

and yes i too would say any old shyte if it was to my advantage to say so :)
  7. Oddball

Oddball Detail Decepticon!

I can't see anything? :(
  8. Madbrush

Madbrush Guest

There you go:)

s004blg.png

Look like the ugly duckling of airbrushes, methinkso_O
  9. Oddball

Oddball Detail Decepticon!

Thanks mate, looks a bit unbalanced to me ....
  10. Madbrush

Madbrush Guest

Ideal for me then, lol
  11. Immortal Concepts

Lol. I do have to say though I like the trigger head design itself with the slope and machined edged. I have all my triggers cut just like that
  12. Nessus

Nessus Gravity Guru

Problem is in this case there are almost no reviews to begin with, and the ones that do exist say almost nothing. It's not a matter of filtering: info just isn't out there to begin with. When I was doing my research, I found IIRC only four reviews in total:

One online magazine review that repeated the same details any vendor's page would list, but did not talk about quality or capability at all (conspicuously so: it read like a product announcement rather than the review it was labeled as).

Two forum post reviews on other forums, both of which were just "I haven't used it much yet, but I like it" with zero details or other info. Basically just endorsements, not reviews.

Seamonkey's video, which with all due respect to Seamonkey (sincerely), did not contain any more info than the above.

It was actually kind of weird, as I could find in depth reviews on pretty much every other brush I was looking at, or at least of stuff from the same product line. With the Satagraph, the best info about the brushes' construction and such I found was in Satas promo videos, but of course you can't really trust a company's own testimony on their products' quality and capability.

Also, although the SG4 has apparently been out for 2 years or so, the actual Sata website hasn't been updated to show it. Going by the Sata website, the SG3 is still their latest model. That was a bit strange and IMO a red flag.

Yeah, def that. The SataGraph, H&S, and Iwata Micron+ all seem to have superior trigger button designs. Very first thing I did with my Eclipse was to make a custom ergonomic trigger pad for it.
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2014
  13. Viking74

Viking74 Young Tutorling

I know this is an old tread. I actually bought this airbrush two years ago on Dave Monnig's recommendations. I asked him for a very good brush for basecoating scalemodels.
    And to me it is up there with the HP-CS. It has been very consistent regarding different kind of acrylic paints as Vallejo, Tamiya and Gunze.

The needle and nozzle shows no sign of wear and the needle packing has not let any paint paint through to the back of the airbrush.

I know the most regarded automotive smart repair company we have in Oslo prefer this airbrush for automotive paint when filling tiny scratches.

I would recommend this as a very good airbrush for basecoating small and medium size objects. The only issue is that the only place I can find spareparts is from Coast airbrush.
    JackEb likes this.