Scratching with a scalpel blade

@NaamaEnkeli Latex interior paint? i've never heard of it.. I'm curious :)
what did you paint it on and what is the surface texture like? hard? or soft like latex?
I'm very sorry about my language skills =D
I mean just a normal indoor wall paint. you can tint it with acrylic paints, like I did on this pic. Fine foam roller is the only way (for me) to paint Createx anyway, this is an excellent way to dispose of them off lol
Yes it's soft like latex.. hmmm.. IT IS latex. paint a thick layer of paint, so that you can sandpaper it a bit of a roll aftermath and scratch..
.latex.jpg

One moore TIP!
Caution! you need to practice and test it before tryin to your artwork!
making fast skin/leather/fabric texture:
1.So, we got latex base
2. Spray reducer (alcohol+glyserin) with your airbrush to texture area, wait a while, spray again if you need.. (You can use stencils too).
Latex and color layer will melt a little bit and you can extremely careful with your finger to rub and mix them with each other.
Now the color is very soft and very easy to scratch with blade too.
do not wipe scratching loose color particles, until the area is completely dry!
Good luck! ;)

In the picture: Edge of the feather, eye highlights and white hairs is Scratched. Hat, scarve and skin rubbed with a finger.

FBtaus.jpg

my works does anyone pay so much that it would be possible to waste time weeks to make a single image, so I need to develop the ways to make a valid textures as fast as possible:laugh:

What I've discovered last night is make sure you hold you blade sturdy. If it vibrates or jumps you get bad lines. I now hold my finger against the actual blade even though the handle is very sturdy and has a good grip on the blade.

Thanks guys, I have finally managed to scratch effectively with the scalpel , I got hold of some number 15 scalpel blades (they have a little curved end). I then used very light strokes and found I could scrape away very effectively even just down to the previous layer or the paper using G4 paper.

I did notice it was easier in one direction more than others so now understand why some of you guys flip the paper round.

Seems my main mistakes were

a) Not using a 'new' blade , I tended to use any blade I had lying around previously used for cutting stencils
b) Scraping to hard and not taking it slowly and lightly.
c) Not being patient enough

I now feel it is possible to achieve higher detail in the smaller paintings I tend to do particularly for fine hairs and highlights ..

Did a quick test on claybord and found it even easier... !!

Thanks

My 2 cents worth... gesso is a good substrate for scratching, Britsol board is not... neither is any other paper I've used. Foam board is, well, a little bit OK, be VERY careful. Crescent board, be very gentle, I've used the scalpel for removing a layer of paint but not down to the board.. I have found thicker layers are better for scratching, I tend to not have thick enough layers. I have heard good things about clay board, must get myself some... :)

Back