For Every Airbrush Artist!

Ready to get involved? Register for free and you won't see any google advertising!

Register

Second Attempt

Discussion in 'Works In Progress & Finished Artworks!' started by Rick Martin, Nov 30, 2017.

1. Ronald art

Ronald art Detail Decepticon! Very Likeable!

@Richard H you are right on track and Malky has you covered :)
  2. RichardH

RichardH Elite Member! Elite Member!

Thanks Ronald and Malky. I'll do some more later this evening. I feel good about this one. I'm really watching my darkness and overspray. Paint and paper wanted to act up some yesterday. I spanked them both and that straightened them out lollol
    Malky likes this.
  3. Malky

Malky Pencil Pushing Protagonist Very Likeable!

Nothing beats a damn good spanking:thumbsup:

Even if you were to mess this up, and I don't think you will, you'll go into your next piece with a better idea of what you're trying do, which is the point of the exercise, do you feel you have more confidence now?:)
    Ronald art likes this.
  4. SiRoxx

SiRoxx Mac-Valve Maestro!

Yeah, pretty much an elevator is a lift and a mall would be either shopping centre or just the shops. And a shop is a store lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  5. SiRoxx

It’s looking good to me too Richard. I wish I could have joined this real time. But it’s the much more in-depth Steps that will help me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    RichardH likes this.
  6. RichardH

Yes I do have more confidence. I just couldn't understand why layering is the way to do it or actually understand the way to do it. Before ( in my mind ) why go through a long process of layering when I could just spray a lot and eliminate the time involved. But doing it this way now, I can fully see why layering is the way to go. So much easier to erase and highlight and tone or shade as I go. It's nothing but experience and with the help of people like you and Ronald to get to a point of doing something the right way. How's the search for something we have talked about coming along?
    Mine want be exact copy of reference but that is not what I am working on to learn.
    Very much appreciated with the help. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Richard
    Ronald art, SiRoxx and jord001 like this.
  7. Malky

You don't really want an exact copy of the reference since the reference itself is a drawing, you just want to have fun with it and do your own little things, and while you are having fun you're learning stuff that will help you when you get to something you need to be serious about.

It is possible to just blast in a load of paint and end up with a convincing piece, but the huge problem with is that to do it you need to be experienced in the extreme with controlling the brush as well have a perfect aim everytime, I'm talking skills only an absolute prodigy could have, since we don't have those skills we take a methodical slower approach and build up slowly to get what we can accept as a good result, nothing needs to be perfect, just close enough to ward off insulting criticism:)

So far my search for what we talked about hasn't turned up anything nice but I have one or two plans which I'm fairly confident about, I'm in no great rush so I can comfortably sort it all out, although at this time of year here my heating eats into much if my disposable income with no way to recoup thato_O
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
    Ronald art, jord001 and RichardH like this.
  8. Ronald art

@Richard H let me see if I can find some time after the holidays and do a second class but with a real portrait with this dragon I cant go real advanced but it is a perfect ref to learn the basic skills you need for a old school monochrome techniques
    JackEb and SiRoxx like this.
  9. Malky

Well guys, not had a chance to do anymore to mine today, I had to go shopping this morning and clean up the house a bit when I got back, but not 10 minutes ago I recieved a letter from Holland concerning my divorce, to be honest any news concerning my divorce is good news, but the demand for payment for legal costs that came with it is what has got me down:( I've been saving for months to try to get some luxuries and now I have to fork the lot out on this crap, I often wonder why I bother to wake up each day.

Tomorrow is another day, lets hope it's a better oneo_O
  10. RichardH

Thanks Ronald. I look forward to doing another one with you and Malky. I've learned a lot from just this one. Maybe by that time I can take on a more advanced one. Unless you don't have time with this one, I'll continue on with my interpretation of this one. I don't want to jump too far ahead of you and possibly mess it up. It's looking good to me so far and I am my worst critic.
    It is a busy time of the year for all of us.
    Thanks

Richard
  11. RichardH

That brought back a song I know. " She got the gold mine and I got the shaft " :cry::cry:lollollol:thumbsdown:
    Tomorrow is another day. Hope it is a lot better news.
    Malky likes this.
  12. Ronald art

I will finish this dragon within a day or 2 and I will start digging for a good ref photo that will lift you all to an higher level
  13. Malky

I don't know why I'm bothered, I always seem to get the shaft, it seems everytime I smile somebody is just waiting to wipe it off my face:mad:
  14. SiRoxx

I’m willing to bet that I’m one of very few 30 something British guys that knows that’s a Jerry Reed song. :D
    RichardH likes this.
  15. SiRoxx

That sucks big time Malky. Sorry to hear that Mate. But think about John Cleese, when he had to pay out 6 Million in devorce payment, the press asked him what he thought about it. He said “I think it represents extraordinarily good value for money”. I’m sure it’s funnier if you have excess of 6 mil. But the sentiment is sound.
  16. RichardH

Well I hope in the future a smile will appear on your face. Hang in there, it could be worse. I look at others with worse physical problems than I have and sometimes smile because I have problems in my life but can see I am pretty lucky that I am not in their shoes. Life is very hard sometimes to deal with but just be thankful for what you do have.
    SiRoxx likes this.
  17. RichardH

Here is my end of the day attempt at the dragon. I am to the point of am I through or what is next with it. Ronald, Malky, any thing else I can do except clean it up a little.

12-7-17.jpg
    frowan, Malky, doc1 and 1 other person like this.
  18. Jurien72

Jurien72 Have Airbrush - Will Travel!

Sorry to hear about the divorce man... I know the feeling when I pay child support every month for kids I don't even know. The only thing I feel like painting is "Die you $@#%^$# #%*%@!!!!"
  19. Malky

Luckily for me there are no kids involved, only the legal costs in our case so once they are paid there's no further financial problems for either of us and its all done and dusted, I know many have had a far worse deal than I've had so I should really be happy:) which I likely will be tomorrow:thumbsup:
    SiRoxx likes this.
  20. Ronald art

DSCN1083.JPG it turned out to be a cold and wet day today so I made some time to finish the dragon
    the first thing I did was pushing back the dark lines that is are in front of the horns I used the grey scotch brite for that next thing I did was adding some shading with the 1:3 mixture and created some sharper lines using hand held shields and the same paint mix the last thing I did was going over the complete painting with the soft pencil eraser in my hand and created soft high lights no real light highlights but more a light value by not erasing the paint back to the white paper but only making it lighter
    doc1, SiRoxx, Malky and 1 other person like this.