Secondary Paint Filtering

M

Madbrush

Thought I would throw up my "on the go" filtering solution.

When I first started airbrushing I noticed that my paints were drying in on the neck of the bottles so that little pieces of dried paint were falling into my airbrush, so to combat this I stopped working out of the bottle and bought some handy Squeeze bottles for my mixed colours, and after filtering my paint before going into the bottle I wanted to filter also as I went, so I came up with this.

In the first photo you see the bottle it'self, the little red cap is to seal the bottle for long period storage, these bottles can be taken apart and cleaned very easily, this bottle has been used four times and still good as new, I cut small piece of old pantyhose 5 X 10 cm app, double this over (photo 2), I stretch this over the neck of the bottle (photo 3) and then screw the lid on, it's now ready for use and filters the paint as it's being used.

The elastic used in the third photo isn't necessary, I used it here just for the photo, I normally just hold it on with my fingers and the bottle lid does the rest.

View attachment 16137View attachment 16138View attachment 16139View attachment 16140

Note: 20 of these bottles cost me €10 at my supplier in Rotterdam.

Great tip! I will surely try this one out.
How much of the paint stays in the panty? I guess you remove it once you are done?

Great tip! I will surely try this one out.
How much of the paint stays in the panty? I guess you remove it once you are done?

I glad you asked that, because I forgot to add that part, lol

The bottle seals it'self when you screw down the lid, everything inside stays wet, I generally change the filter (panty) before I start each new piece, I remove the lid and detach the screw down part for cleaning also before each job, they come apart quite easily and just snap on to replace, I remove the filter and put in the little red cap if I store for long periods, the paint will stay usable for months.

I have been doing this for years and I mean since 1984 when I painted in Florida. I also pull the cap off and thoroughly rinse the cap so that no dried paint in spout dries up and gets in with the next session of painting.

Fred
www.airbrush-dreams.com
Keep painting

I have been doing this for years and I mean since 1984 when I painted in Florida. I also pull the cap off and thoroughly rinse the cap so that no dried paint in spout dries up and gets in with the next session of painting.

Fred
www.airbrush-dreams.com
Keep painting

Sorry if you thought I was trying to teach you something or even give you the idea that I thought this up myself, but since you didn't share it yourself , I thought I would, lol

Good tip chaps, I do a similar thing but with the mesh from paint filters. The ones I have easily peel off so after dismantling a few I cut the mesh into squares and covered the top of my bottles. So there's another medium to use and saves you using the wife's or your own pantyhose or tights as they're known as in England.

Lee

Back