sellouse sanding se aler probs

T

tontmcgrath

hi all long time since i posted here my prob is this for a long time years i have been using delouse sanding sealer for sealing my airbrush paintings but now it is turning white and blooming when i spray it anybody help tony

I'm guessing your painting is being done with water based paints, good chance that these haven't been heat set and some the water content is mixing with your sealer causing it to literally turn into mayonnaise as we refer to it, this frequently happens when moisture gets into polyurethane varnishes, or when such coatings are applied conditions of extremely high humidity, the same happens if water gers into the oil of your car.

You can try heat setting your painting and applying a very light mist coat of sealer and let tgst dry before applying further coats, if you blast on a heavy coat in one go it will cause problems especially if relative humidity is high and if your weather is like where I am now it probably around 75%, right now I have Betty Swollocks, lol

or 'blooming' in the UK Lol
@Madbrush have been playing with betty for the past couple of days here, temperatures up then down then up again, ffs. lol

I just went through that with the Unicorn painting. I cleared it using automotive rattle can acrylic enamel, and my first dust coat turned white and cloudy......
I shht myself thinking i wrecked it. Then I checked the humidity level and it was way up there at 80%. As it sat there, it slowly stated to clear. I sped up the drying by taking a heat gun and slowly heated the back and watched it get better. Before I did the wet coat, I heated it up again, then sprayed and it wasnt as bad.....
I even let the painting sit for 2 days before clear, but the humidity really slowed the process of drying. Now I wait for less humid days to clear coat
Cheers

lol, that's funny, in Auckland we dream of getting days as low as 80% humidity...

If you mean cellulose lacquer. I use it for timber.
You get the white if you spray at too high a pressure or too heavy.
Shows up for me at 55 PSI, you only need 15-25 psi for a good light spray.
Good thing is another coat over the top will make the white on top go away as the next coat will bond to the lower layer.

or 'blooming' in the UK Lol
@Madbrush have been playing with betty for the past couple of days here, temperatures up then down then up again, ffs. lol

In England Blooming is indeed the term, how ever in Scotland we are all awkward bastards and have different terms, lol, blooming is one of our terms and is used to describe the loss of sheen on high gloss paints due to freezing temperatures, this will usually only happen in if there is a sudden drop in temperature within the first hour after application, after that it doesn't become an issue, what you refer to as blooming in England we refer too as flashing, but it's a wider used term because it's also used to describe the effect of going over a almost dry edge with eggshell paints sometimes referred to as semi-gloss or satin finish or silk sheen finish depending on manufacturer and location, but basically the over lapping edges would dry to a gloss finish facilitating the need for a total redo, these day paints are made differently so it's less of a problem, back in the day if you used these eggshell paints in an unventilated area for an hour or so you could get totally wasted, but gone are the days when you actually got paid to go to your work and get stoned:confused:

Which reminds me, a few weeks ago I was sat watching star trek with a friend of mine who was partial to the occasional doobie, anyway, he asked me during the film "what would you do if you saw a spaceman?" to which I replied "I'de park the car man" :sour:

In England Blooming is indeed the term, how ever in Scotland we are all awkward bastards and have different terms, lol, blooming is one of our terms and is used to describe the loss of sheen on high gloss paints due to freezing temperatures, this will usually only happen in if there is a sudden drop in temperature within the first hour after application, after that it doesn't become an issue, what you refer to as blooming in England we refer too as flashing, but it's a wider used term because it's also used to describe the effect of going over a almost dry edge with eggshell paints sometimes referred to as semi-gloss or satin finish or silk sheen finish depending on manufacturer and location, but basically the over lapping edges would dry to a gloss finish facilitating the need for a total redo, these day paints are made differently so it's less of a problem, back in the day if you used these eggshell paints in an unventilated area for an hour or so you could get totally wasted, but gone are the days when you actually got paid to go to your work and get stoned:confused:

Which reminds me, a few weeks ago I was sat watching star trek with a friend of mine who was partial to the occasional doobie, anyway, he asked me during the film "what would you do if you saw a spaceman?" to which I replied "I'de park the car man" :sour:
LOL!!!! ))))))) Mad- Mad Brush, btw Im guessing a 'Doobie' = substance other than oil based eggshell?????? lol:alien::eek::cool:o_O

LOL!!!! ))))))) Mad- Mad Brush, btw Im guessing a 'Doobie' = substance other than oil based eggshell?????? lol:alien::eek::cool:o_O

This would indeed be a highly combustible substance known for its levitational properties as well as its ability to cause feelings of exhilaration and nonchalance :confused:

Back