For Every Airbrush Artist!

Ready to get involved? Register for free and you won't see any google advertising!

Register

Shawnavin the new guy and his journey in Airbrush

Discussion in 'Open Bar!' started by Shawnavin, Apr 27, 2017.

1. Shawnavin

Shawnavin Double Actioner

O.k. I just wanted to start by saying thanks to those that looked and responded to my new dude post.... I got my stuff yesterday and after I got all set up in the cardboard box in the storage room. (that's my space..lol). and got to making dots and lines and dots and lines... lol... who would have thought that making dots and lines would be so much fun. I went through all three tip and needle sizes and just had a blast. But now that I could do a dot and a line, I thought I was doing well and wanted to do my first picture. lol... Funny guy... I saw a video on how to do lightning.

I took my regular piece of printer paper and sprayed it a splotchy black. There was about 3 drops of black left in the glass so I added 4 drops blues and one white... shook and did my lines of travel. then made them wider. I added another drop white and did another layer a little smaller. Repeated a few more times and cleaned gun and change to a .2 and put 4 drops white and one drop blue. made a bright pass then added a white drop and did a finer light pass. cleaned out gun and put 4 drops white in. Now this is where things got interesting, (I am using Testor Aztek paint.). I did the top fork first and went till I want to split and stopped then continued to do bottom fork and went till I wanted a split. things where awesome. did a kickoff on the bottom and it went well, then when I the finale on bottom I got a big splooge.... Damn. I cleaned out gun and put new white in and while finishing the top (I wanted to accent a small piece and splat!!! !*^%#!. I look at my tip and I have stringy paint hanging from my tip. uggg ....

is this the paint doint this? I have to clean out my gun every 10-15 min.

Attached Files:

MeeshellMP, musicmacd and doc1 like this.
  2. Jurien72

Jurien72 Have Airbrush - Will Travel!

Wow that looks great! You seem to be getting the hang of it pretty well. I'm no expert, but yes tip dry is a common problem- there are certain things you can try to alleviate some of those problems. Stringy paint hanging from the tip? Please hold, and our next available resident expert will assist you with your call! :)
    JackEb likes this.
  3. Shawnavin

oh no... now it has started. ... here come the questions...
    I turned my pressure down to 15 psi. (btw I am using a vl-set Paasche) when I had the .2 needle in. i was getting spatter. when i turned up to 20 psi it didn't spatter any more. is the due to the fact my gun is suction fed? I am getting a top feed tg-3f in 2 weeks.
    Is Paasche a good gun?
  4. Shawnavin

Thanks for your compliment. ;-) .. i have been looking at getting another batch of ink, what would you recommend?
  5. Jurien72

There is a certain relation to psi, paint viscosity, and omg lots of stuff. Increasing the psi probably forced the paint out better, if that makes sense?

I own several Paasches, and I love them. For a beginner I think they do well enough. I haven't heard many good reviews of the TG, (thats a Talon, isn't it?) but who knows? You may love yours!
  6. Shawnavin

yes the talon. I am not stuck on Paasche i just wanted to have a top feed. then i can run a little lighter pressure to do thinner lines. is that correct? what top feed would bee good to get.. i have 2 weeks to make up my mind. and amazon would have to carry it.
  7. Jurien72

I'm not familiar with Aztek paint- are you thinning the paint at all? It should be the consistency of 2% milk... pretty much regardless of what paint you are using. Swirl some 2% milk in a glass and watch how it "stains" the side of the glass. Your paint should do the same thing on the side of your paint bottle.

I use Createx Wicked colors, and in my very limited experience it does seem to work well. At this stage in the game, you should probably stick to one paint and learn how to use it- like figure out how to tell if it's too thick or too thin. Later on you can try different brands.
  8. Jurien72

How much are you looking to spend? (Read as "how much does a Talon cost?" ;) ) I would say that as long as you aren't buying a cheapie chinese brush, you are probably making a good choice. I'm too lazy to go read your intro :p what are you looking to do? If you are just a newbie, and maybe you just wanna dabble in this, a Talon (or similar in price) would be just fine. Later on if you want something more specific, you can always get another brush. Badger seems to make a good brush, Iwata and Harder and Steenbeck make entry level models. Its mind boggling really!
  9. Jurien72

Yes you are correct- a gravity fed airbrush requires less psi to operate, so you can get in closer and get finer details.
    musicmacd likes this.
  10. Shawnavin

reg price for me on talon is 199 and right now it is on sale for 135. i am looking for a good detail brush as i think my vl with be a good mid range brush. i am looking around the 200 mark
  11. Jurien72

How much is an Iwata Eclipse in Canada? I'm sure someone on this forum will tell you its the ideal brush lol ;)
  12. Shawnavin

i have to get to bed.. but tomorrow i am pacticing more lines and dagger strokes and then on Friday i am going to do first attempt on the eye... i will be posting my career here... so if you wish to laugh with me at my journey, i welcome all. i could only wish to be half as good as the amazing artists in this forum
  13. Shawnavin

254 ... that is still doable... i will order that instead of the paasche
    musicmacd likes this.
  14. JackEb

JackEb The Dragon Hunter Staff Member Admin

I'm no resident expert but i'll chime in for lack of any knowledgeable people around apart from @Jurien72 and myself :laugh:

First 4 rules of asking for help (as you have realised yourself and provided after your initial post. )
    what paint / reducer ratio (approx.)
    what psi
    what brush
    what substrate.

Yes, siphon brushes need higher psi, if your getting stringy bits at the end of the needle I'd suggest you have used the wrong thinner / reducer for the paint /ink you are using. .

what reducer are you using ?
    Jurien72 likes this.
  15. Jurien72

Oh dear... I think I just sold an Iwata :whistling:
    jord001 likes this.
  16. Squishy

Squishy Queen Clown Slayer Mod

Not familiar with that paint, but when you say 'stringy' I am guessing you are talking about some fairly extreme tip dry where the paint is building up on the needle so much its actually starting to extend past the end maybe? Or is it looking gloopy? Why are you having to clean out your gun so often. Tip dry you can carefully pick off, if there are other issues then it could be a problem with the paint itself.

Tip dry goes with the territory. Air passing over the paint will dry it. This seems a little extreme though, especially at the psi you're using. As mentioned are you using the correct reducer? Once you get your ratios of paint mixing and air dialled in you can minimise tip dry. In the mean time get into the habit of checking the tip frequently.

The Iwata eclipse is a great choice, def recommend.
    jord001 likes this.
  17. jord001

jord001 Air-Valve Autobot!

Hi All, Firstly welcome to the forum Shawn, stringy bits of paint doesn't sound good, as Jackie said it could be the wrong reducer/thinner being used. And you were too low with air pressure at 15psi for the syphon feed as it needs a certain amount to pull the paint from the bottle, but as you said when you turned it up it sprayed better, so about 2 bar or 25 - 30 psi would be ok. 15psi is usually around the pressure we use with the gravity feeds when painting detail, sometimes even lower.

What paint to use depends on what you want to paint. Other folks will use different brands and may be able to add to this with their experiences.
    These are mainly what i use.

Etac' efx Marissa colours. I use these for illustration and fine art, they dilute with plain old water and spray really well at low psi. They smell nice too.

Createx Illustration Only just started using these so still experimenting. But again great for illustration and fine art. Painted my Herman Munster for CALz AyrWKz [pp10] with it. They spray nicely reduced with the correct reducer 4012? Cant think off hand and too lazy to go to my paint room to check, i will be corrected if im wrong :) they also spray well unreduced as others will confirm.

Spectra-Tex Made by Badger, fairly cheap and spray reasonably well in general not a bad paint, can be used on textiles and hard surfaces, i have reduced with water but performs better with 4010, 4011 or 4012 reducers and reducer for trident paints, i've tried them all.
    Done quite a few t-shirts with my Grandchildren, Niece and Nephew, God Children. Great results, heat set to make permanent.

Createx Wicked
    Good All rounder, for hard and soft surfaces, textiles, paper, automotive. Also have a Wicked detail range. Someone please feel free to add to its properties. @Squishy
    Personally i've only used black which i reduced a rediculous amount to paint Cameron Diaz and it worked great. Painted it with a Paasche Talon Gravity feed .36 setup, the .25 fine setup didn't like to spray well with pretty much any paint and the needles are very soft. [ Theres a very quick review on the talon :) ]

ComArt Not had much experience with it. Brought the grey kit and didn't use it for ages. I think my paint has gone off as it was very bitty and so i need to strain it before i try it again. But others will say its a great paint to start with as its pretty thin. Water based again, reduced with water but i'm sure you could use the createx reducer.

Also used Trident which was ok, has its own reducer and characteristics, covers well but hard to get hold of here in the uk.

Etac' PS Had some a long time ago, reduces with water but is very delicate on hard surfaces. I believe it can be used on textiles and works ok on paper/card. Smells nice :)

Inspire Solvents [urethane] Smells lovely but not good for you, Sprays well, reduce with 2k thinners [reducer] For automotive and hard surfaces but i suppose you could paint on paper and card. Need to spray in an area with extraction and filters you also need to wear a suitable respirator. I painted a bb gun in a DPM camoflage design for my Stepson and it came out real nice.

Windsor and newton inks, FW inks. Very thin, not cheap but great to spray with. Makes learning easier, only for paper and such.

There are others. Golden, Schminke aero colours, inspire h2O, vallejo airbrush paint to name a few. Not had any experience with them though. Ive also used some very cheap tattoo ink off ebay. Reduces with water, sprays ok but needs to be strained first.

To practise with you could use food colouring in water. very cheap, works like an ink. Sprays great to have a practise.

Airbrushes good to start with.. Different prices, to cover all budgets.

Iwata Eclipse
    Badger Krome
    Iwata Revolution
    Paasche Talon
    H&S Ultra or Evolution

Can't think of any more. But try to steer away from the cheap chinese models, sometimes you get a half decent one but they are mainly too much hassle. I have some which spray ok but you have to mess about with them too much to get them to work well.

I started in the late 80's with an Aztek 3000 [which i still have] and used car spray paint from a can sprayed into the can lid and thinned before putting into my airbrush. Then i brought some Badger Airbush fabric paint to paint tshirts. I still have them and they are still ok to spray although i don't know how permanent they would be any more on a shirt.. :) Airbrushes I mainly use: Iwata HP-B+, Micron SB. Others: Badger Sotar, Richpen 213 Mojo, Olympos Micron 200b. You will buy others as you progress and if you get hooked may develop AAD :) it's really not a bad thing :)

I hope this helps a little, other members will hopefully add to this and give you more to think about. It all depends what YOU want to do.

sorry for the essay

Lee
    musicmacd and JackEb like this.
  18. jord001

jord001 Air-Valve Autobot!

Well if you have Shawn wont be disappointed. :)

Lee
    JackEb likes this.
  19. Shawnavin

Thank you all for your input. the paints say airbrush paints and I have not used any reducer. it is different time frames to get the stringy paint. for example, the first time it happened was in a .5 tip and needle. I was using black and filling in a bigger space and was painting for a solid 2 minutes. I was watching the paper not my tip and all of a sudden my spray went wonky so I stopped and looked. there was a stringy extention on the end of the needle. so I took off the bottle and put on the cup and filled with cleaner. after I cleaned I replaced the bottle and continued to paint , then in like 50-60 seconds it started to happen again.

Attached Files:

jord001 likes this.
  20. Shawnavin

I am off to work .. be back later... thanks again for all the help.. I will digest the info that I have read and compile more questions... hope you guys/gals don't mind questions... have a great morning and see you soon
    jord001 likes this.