For Every Airbrush Artist!

Ready to get involved? Register for free and you won't see any google advertising!

Register

Shawnavin the new guy and his journey in Airbrush

Discussion in 'Open Bar!' started by Shawnavin, Apr 27, 2017.

1. Matwes

Matwes The Analog Kid Very Likeable!

I spent less than 20$ on my dead silent DIY compressor. Inbox me for information.

Delivered with an iPhone via Tapatalk
  2. JackEb

JackEb The Dragon Hunter Staff Member Admin

You can share the info, or pm Admin/mods if you're not sure it's legal :)
    Matwes likes this.
  3. Matwes

Cool..

I got a hobby compressor with a broken motor at the junk yard and a working fridge compressor from the recycling station. Bought some tubing and material to fit the fridge compressor to the tank. It works really well and it's almost dead silent, I have it sitting 4 feet from my easel in the studio and I do hardly notice when it kicks in and fill the tank. It's ugly as an old mother in law but I don't care much about that.

Even if you have to buy a new hobby compressor and ditch the motor, it's a cheap solution compared to the insane prices on airbrush compressors.

Watch the video, crank up the volume.

jord001 and Micha der Wolf like this.
  4. JackEb

I have heard, and someone please advise if it's wrong, that fridge motors have oil/fluid in them (not talking about the gas) that can cause issues. Although I suppose an oil filter would solve that issue
    jord001 likes this.
  5. Matwes

An oil/water/air separator is needed. No issues after hundreds of working hours.

jord001, Shawnavin and JackEb like this.
  6. Matwes

The moisture filter on my micron is always dry, no water, no oil.

Shawnavin likes this.
  7. Phaze

Phaze Gravity Guru

I built my own compressor too but it wasn't $20 after all said and done. You still need to buy hoses, a tank, regulator and all that stuff. Getting the fridge motor is a story in itself. First you have to find a fridge. You can't go to the dump because to take the motor out you have to make sure the freon gas doesn't expel into the atmosphere. You have to hire a company to do it for you, unless you don't care about the atmosphere or the laws (I didn't care). There is a lot of wiring and testing to do. If you take the motor from a fridge you buy, you still gotta dispose of the fridge and pay the recycling fee even though you don't have the motor anymore... and how do you explain you don't have that motor anymore?

I personally found it a lot of hassle that I bypassed by just spending $175 on a quiet compressor. It was good experience, but that fridge compressor sits on the floor in the corner and I couldn't be bothered to bring it out anymore
    Shawnavin and JackEb like this.
  8. Shawnavin

Shawnavin Double Actioner

It is a great idea but I am a firm believer that if I can build it someone else can build it better( Not due to a lack of self esteem but a lack of knowledge and I don't ming spending money on a well built product) I do have to say good on you and it looks cool..

Thanks again to all of you, I have gained a lot of tips and info.
  9. Shawnavin

If the harder steenbeck infinity 2 in 1 and the iwata eclipse cs were the same price, what you choose for fine line detail work?
  10. Matwes

Neither do I. But I did spend my money on a first class airbrush instead of a shiny compressor. :)

Shawnavin likes this.
  11. jord001

jord001 Air-Valve Autobot!

I havent tried the Infinity but have used an Eclipse. The infinity has a 0.15 setup and can pull a finer line than the Eclipse simply because of nozzle size but the Eclipse has a .35 so it's a lot bigger. With practise though you can pull a pretty fine line with the Eclipse, not as fine as the Infinity but the Infinity will be a lot more picky about paint mixture from what I have read.

Lee
    Shawnavin likes this.
  12. Shawnavin

I made my purchase without knowing anything about nothing(airbrush related) and I see my errors and I am getting a great brush once I figure out which one of the 2 I have narrowed it down to. if I cant decide in a week I will get them both... never hurts to invest in good gear... I might have to invest in the person to use them... lol
  13. Matwes

The Eclipse HP-CS is a very good brush at an affordable price. I have one, it was my first brush and it's a keeper. I can do very nice detail work with it. I don't know anything about the Harder & Steinbeck.

14. Shawnavin

this is my thoughts...
    the infinity has .15, .2, .4, .6 capabilities and is a top feed. has a cool line guide to make borders. and has the cut away body for dial access and an end dial for paint flow.

the eclipse has .35 and .5 capabilities and has cut away body to access setting for trigger.

I see more use in having 4 tip sizes rather than 2.
    jord001 likes this.
  15. jord001

jord001 Air-Valve Autobot!

I see the logic in your thinking :) Both popular brushes so what ever you get will be ok.

Lee
    Shawnavin likes this.
  16. Squishy

Squishy Queen Clown Slayer Mod Artist of the Month!

You would think the finer the tip, the finer the line - to an extent this is true, however its not the only factor.

I can get the same fine line from my eclipse as my micron, and I recently got a .5 nozzle set, and I can get close with that too. However the micron is much easier to get the fine line from because of the superior atomisation and better build quality.

I don't have an infinity, so can't comment on whether the different sizes are able to pull the same lines, or what the quality of atomisation is like, and whether its easier with the smallest size. But just trying to explain that size isn't the only factor for fine detail.

The smaller the nozzle the fussier it will be with paint, with the largest size able to handle effects paints such as metallics and pearls etc, that won't go through the smaller sizes. The larger size can cover larger areas easier too. So that may be an advantage.

If by end dial, you mean pre-set handle, this basically stops the trigger being able to be pulled back past certain points, to regulate the amount of paint. I have one on the micron and never used it, you need to be able to adjust how much you pull back from stroke to stroke, and IMO is not a reason to choose one brush over another. I like a cutaway handle, but it also is not a necessity.

If I had to choose, I would go for the eclipse as its a reliable workhorse, capable of very fine detail, even though its not a detail brush. Its versatile enough as it is, however I would add (and just did in fact) an additional .5 set up for effects paints, over the multi tips of the h & s.

That's just my opinion, however there are folks who love their infinities, I am just an Iwata fan and think they are the best for quality and reliability.
    Maple Art and Shawnavin like this.
  17. Jurien72

Jurien72 Have Airbrush - Will Travel!

I do love my Infinity... it certainly would not be a mistake to get one. However, I think there is a lonely empty spot in my collection for an Eclipse, cuz I wanna see what everyone is raving about!
    Shawnavin likes this.
  18. Squishy

Squishy Queen Clown Slayer Mod Artist of the Month!

Its just a great brush for the money, and great for learners, but you don't grow out of it, so it makes sense if your starting to buy something that will keep you progressing.

The multi tips are an extra bonus for the infinity though.
    Shawnavin and Maple Art like this.
  19. Shawnavin

O.K ... So I was able to get my hands on some createx wicked black. For now I am using a Tamiya thinner, lol .. rofl... I don't know if they work together or not but it emulsified nicely and it was what I had.. lol.. go ahead and say it... "silly noob".. I hope that's what your saying... lol... and so I tried the eye twice.. lol... I giggled.. I am using my Paasche VL #2 tip/needle at 13-14 psi. , createx black mixed 1-1 with Tamiya thinner x-20a. lol... laugh ... lol.. using printer paper ... ok laugh again... lol... so that is the 2nd and 3rd things I have done. As you can see I am having a hard time with the eyebrows, lol out of many things I know...

Attached Files:

jord001 and doc1 like this.
  20. JackEb

its taking up a lot more room on the paper than it should . . did you enlarge it to avoid the eyebrows lol
    Print it off as it should be, follow the airbrush tutor tutorial as you go and it will all fall into place.

Try 4 drops of reducer /thinner (if the tamiya reducer is working then by all means keep using it for now) and one drop of paint. put reducer in the cup first, then the paint. Give it a mix and slowly build up the colour on the paper.
    Keep trying the eyebrows, its the only way you will learn.... besides, the current trend is for tattoo, heavily drawn on eyebrows to eyebrow hair is not necessary this year :laugh:

Maybe try concentrating on everything apart from eyelashes / eyebrows, you can always use a sharpie and draw them in after just to complete the look. Build up some confidence with what you can do, rather than banging your head against the wall with things you cant do yet, it will all come in time.
    jord001 and Shawnavin like this.