For Every Airbrush Artist!

Ready to get involved? Register for free and you won't see any google advertising!

Register

Shawnavin the new guy and his journey in Airbrush

Discussion in 'Open Bar!' started by Shawnavin, Apr 27, 2017.

1. Shawnavin

Shawnavin Double Actioner

lol... I ment eye lashes... lol... and that is correct size for guide.. I will keep practicing... for only being my 2nd and 3rd piece I am very happy.
    jord001 likes this.
  2. Shawnavin

now that I have been looking and yes they are different... I think I opened them in different viewers.. I will fix that. I couldn't figure out what was different...lol
    jord001 and JackEb like this.
  3. JackEb

JackEb Dragon Hunter Staff Member Admin

oh oops, I was thinking of Dru's eye tutorial.....my bad :confused: its got eyebrow !

Heres my 2nd ever airbrush work, my first eye....from Airbrush tutor.

[​IMG]
  4. Shawnavin

I am going to sit in the corner now...
    jord001 likes this.
  5. JackEb

NO ! don't do that, I didn't post it to make you feel bad. I posted it so you wouldn't feel like you were the only one who starts out rough, and that you weren't getting anywhere.
    Honestly you will be surprised how quick things will start to come together if you take the advice here on the forum, and read as many threads as you can when you cant paint, it all starts to gel, really it does. I picked up an airbrush then had a 18mths off due to ill health, this was the first thing I did when I came back.

look close at the eyelashes on mine....... lots of wobbles, blobs and spiders, the whole thing is way to dark (normal for newbs) the blends are shocking. ! ! !
    yours is no where as dark as mine so your already ahead. you're eyelashes are better than mine, just not as many as mine LOL

check this out, it may make you feel better about your beginnings . . . theres a bit of chit chat in there but that's what this forum is, always someone to comment and chat in amoungst the serious stuff.
    http://www.airbrushforum.org/threads/jackebs-journel-of-a-newbie.8250/

Maybe start your own thread, just to remind yourself how far you've come.
    jord001 likes this.
  6. MeeshellMP

MeeshellMP Goddess Queen of carts Mod

Sorry Im late for the welcome party lol!! So welcome aboard! Lightning looked good to btw...and also...eventually, toss the Talon...aint nothing but headaches and dispare for a first timer.
    jord001 likes this.
  7. MeeshellMP

Ive never done the eye...maybe I should some day!!
    Micha der Wolf and jord001 like this.
  8. Shawnavin

I am happy with the three pieces I have done. I still cant believe I did them. so now my plan is to keep practicing my lines, dots, daggers. I can hardly wait to get my new brush... the only problem is I cant decide between the eclipse and the infinity... so I have figured out my way past that issue..... I will get them both... lol.. ;-) . my wife just shook her head.. lol... I just told her that the Paasche will be for primer and large areas. The eclipse can be the medium size (probably will be the most used and then the infinity will be for the really fine stuff... the wife said the fine stuff? like my nails?... I lol again...
  9. jord001

jord001 Air-Valve Autobot!

Ive painted some nails for my sister. My first kit was from a nail tech who gave up so had some finger stands and bits so I had a go. Was fun sort of.. Good choice on having both, Best of 2 worlds. Keep on painting, practise the eye and reduce the paint like was suggested 4 drops of reducer 1 drop of paint You have to build up slowly and that stops you going too dark too quickly. It will come, and all of a sudden you will get it.

Lee
    MeeshellMP and Shawnavin like this.
  10. Shawnavin

thanks, yes it will come. I don't give up that easy.. lol.. I also have a thing that I have to fully apply myself and use all available means to succeed. and once I have tried everything and practiced enough to be considered extremely knowledgeable. only then can I say that I have given my best effort. this has just begun as it has been a month since I first saw the first airbrushtutor video and I have had my gear for a week and a half. Now doing the first gear upgrade, have done three pics and am consumed by this. .. I think about this at work and when I am not at work I read articles and watch videos on airbrushing. I have looked at hmmm lets just say a lot, of pictures,, some are the most amazing pieces I have ever seen. the level of skill and talent is unbelievable. the many hours of practicing and painting really shows.. truly amazing.
    jord001 likes this.
  11. MeeshellMP

I own a custom Hot Rod Eclipse specially designed for ME! ;) And I love it! Its so versitile!! I can get an excellent wide spray pattern, as well as some super tight lines.
    Shawnavin likes this.
  12. Shawnavin

so I was thinking.... ,lol... uh oh... lol... so when doing the small pictures you just start to figure out how it goes and you have to change technique because your done that for the time being... I need more time on a specific technique then the jumping back and forth might be easier. so I went and got a couple pieces of a little bigger paper. I tried to replicate the eye highlights like on the original... lol... we will see. I will take some pics as I go. this is how it is going to start... lol.. lol... I love smilies... (plus it is the only one I know how to do... ) lol

Attached Files:

13. JackEb

when starting out going large is easier. you can get your confidence going on large pieces as its easier to do the 'detail' when your happy with it, knock the size down by half , when your happy with that knock it down by half again..... eventually you'll be somewhere close to 5" x 7" - ideal for Paint Pals :laugh:

as for your smilies.... if you look at the top of your reply box you'll see a little smilie, click on that and you'll have choices of smilies, just remember to place your cursor where you want the smilie.... :ninja::malicious::thumbsup::whistling:;):(:po_O:cry::alien::lipssealed::sour::D:timid::evil::glasses::love::shock::sus::toesies::mad::oops::rolleyes::confused::eek::cool::poo:
    Shawnavin likes this.
  14. Shawnavin

that's a start...
    take a break and do some more..

Attached Files:

JackEb likes this.
  15. JackEb

keep it light, you can always make it darker as you go.
  16. Shawnavin

at times I swear I had to go over the same spot 500 times to get it going darker.. the double auctioning is definitely easier to get the hang of on a bigger pic.
    JackEb likes this.
  17. JackEb

sometimes it feels like you are doing overlaying copies of the same thing, first layer is what is the darkest.
    next layer is everything that is one shade lighter, and you can darken the 'dark' a little if you want.

There is always that temptation to smash everything that looks dark in one pass....
    what you have done above is in the right direction. the eyeliner and circumference of the iris is probably a little dark, so don't make it any darker. it could also be the photo looks darker than it does in real life, so if that's the case adjust any advice provided accordingly.
    Shawnavin likes this.
  18. Shawnavin

after the first pic I made my paint a little stonger. before it was 4 drops water to one black. I made a container of that to use while practicing to save paint... lol..
    then I made a mistake on the lower lids geometry and then I thought it would be cool to make the blue I had into transparent and give the eye some color...
    I am still having a lot of problems with the dagger stroke. but I will just keep doing the practices, I am sure it will come in time.
    what kind of eraser would be the best for both mistakes and highlighting?

Attached Files:

19. JackEb

making mistakes is a good thing....... why you ask ?..... because you've recognised its a mistake which shows you are paying attention and mistakes help you learn what not to do . . . isn't adding colour fun :) and yes, the daggers will come with time, practise and confidence.

but lets just back up a minute....

Which paint are you using on this, I know you said you have both 'wickeds' but one is opaque, one is transparent.
    If you aren't already, use the 'detail' it will reduce well and give you more control over the density of colour. Use the reducer, not water. If you are going to learn you are better to learn with the proper techniques and products. once you get your head around how it SHOULD perform you can then tweak things to your hearts content.

What substrate are you using ? If you are using normal printer type paper your ability to erase / scratch is going to be minimal. you need a harder surface to use erasing tools. Cresent board, smooth side of poster board all are suitable.
    There are a couple of 'essential' erasers.....
    Faber Castell Pencil Eraser -Hard- 7058B OR
    Faber Castell Eraser Perfection 7057 hard & soft (double ended )
    Glass Fiber Pen 4mm / 2mm (check hobby stores, they use them from cleaning Printed Circuit boards)
    doc1 and Shawnavin like this.
  20. Shawnavin

The black paint is wicked 0051 detail black. I have "the bottle" of black mixed with tamia x-20a. I know it is not optimal but it is all I have until I get the order I place on the 15th from Maple Airbrush. then I will have the eclipse and both the auto primary colors as well as detail primary colors, and reducer. I just have to make due with what I have till then...
    the blue was 4 drops testor airbrush paint, 4 drops white testor airbrush paint and about 15 drops water (I only had enough x-20a to make some black.). I tried it on test paper and still fairly opaque and I added 5 more drops water and got this. had to go over a few times to darken but it worked.
    I usually use regular printer paper. on this I used the shiny side of 22"x28" white board. the other side is more porous and would probably hold paint better. I will try one.
    JackEb likes this.