For Every Airbrush Artist!

Ready to get involved? Register for free and you won't see any google advertising!

Register

Side by Side Test

Discussion in 'Works In Progress & Finished Artworks!' started by Airbrush Dreams, Jan 12, 2018.

1. Airbrush Dreams

Airbrush Dreams Air-Valve Autobot! Very Likeable!

Side by side test of E’tac EFX on right and Createx Illustration Paint on left. Tested on store bought clayboard.

Both worked very well on the Ampersand Clayboard and I experimented with multiple tools from hard to soft erasers and scratch brushes including blades. On the clayboard soft erasers were very effective in comparison to soft erasers on synthetic papers which tend to take all paint off all the way to the substrate. Subtle textures were easily achieved with both.

The main difference was in spraying the paint on. Spraying Createx had to be far more gradual because of skating of the paint. Createx seemed to absorb more quickly because of using reducer to keep consistent flow while trying to combat tip dry. E’tac lays more on the surface and was slightly tacky for a short time. When wiping the clay dust off a soft brush was needed rather than fingers because the dust would scratch the E’tac paint. Createx didn’t have this issue.

Either paint worked very nicely on Clayboard, so it comes down to personal preference on the paint systems themselves. For myself, I prefer to use the E’tac EFX because of no need for solvents and little to no tip dry.

Createx Illustration paint used was Sepia
    E’tac EFX paint used was Sepia Smoke.[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    http://fredaw61.wixsite.com/the-artist
    https://www.youtube.com/user/fredaw61
    musicmacd, GregStith, AirEFX and 7 others like this.
  2. Robbyrockett2

Robbyrockett2 Air-Valve Autobot!

what about com-art?, I almost picked some up a couple days ago....just wasn't sure about it.
    The differences would be a lot clearer to me if they were explained the way you have done it here.
    BTW, What on earth was the subject for these? Kind of looks like some critter scratched it fur through to the bone.
    JackEb and Airbrush Dreams like this.
  3. Jonathon

Jonathon Mac-Valve Maestro! Very Likeable!

It's a nose silly..an animal nose
  4. Robbyrockett2

LOL. Duh
    Airbrush Dreams likes this.
  5. Airbrush Dreams

ComArt is very similar to E’tac EFX just a bit thinner in consistency. The subject is just the nose of a tiger done on a sample pice if clayboard that came with my scratch board tool set. It was very small so I had to keep the subject limited. Lol

Robbyrockett2 likes this.
  6. Robbyrockett2

LOL my other thought was a steak laying in grass :)
    Or a partly buried dogbone. Once @Jonathon said it I was like Oh wow that was really obvious, today would not be my day for pictionary
    I want some illustration paint. I prefer not to order, but at the same time If I go the CI route then I know I can add 4004 or 4030 to use it for non- Illustration when,if I want to. Com-art is pretty cheap though. So I'm not sure what route I'll go with that.
  7. Airbrush Dreams

It can become a war in ones mind. I always go through that when I see others fantastic work. The key is to stick with a paint until you have fully mastered it. Never judge by Black or White. They are the hardest to control.

beanpoleuk and GregStith like this.
  8. Robbyrockett2

I probably will end up with CI, simply because for the stuff i generally do I can mix additives into it and still use it, kind of just rolls right into the rest of the createx system. Where as if i had a straight illustration paint I may actually use it once here and there and thats all.
    While Etac and comart seem like theyd be fantstic for Illustration, Illustration is a bit of a rarity for me.
  9. Rick Martin

Rick Martin Elite Member! Elite Member!

I have used 4030 with com art paint. Instead of reducing with water reduce with 4012. I had no issues with this at all.
  10. Robbyrockett2

Thats cool! I kind of wondered if it was compatible. Hmmm, Maybe i will try that comart set. The 10 color set will only be like $16 at hobby lobby anyhow. Thanks rick
  11. Rick Martin

Rick Martin Elite Member! Elite Member!

Welcome just dont reduce with water by mistake..you will have pudding in you paint cup. I never did that but i did mix it that way in a nyquil cup to see what would happen. Yeah it looked like lumpy pudding.
  12. Jonathon

Jonathon Mac-Valve Maestro! Very Likeable!

I bought that set from hobby lobby to try it out since it had the transparent and opaque colors in it. I also thinned it with 4012 instead of water (mainly because I had it right there, getting up for water was way too hard lol) seemed to flow okay..
  13. Mr. HotAir

Mr. HotAir Double Actioner

Whoa thanks for doing that Fred.
    Airbrush Dreams likes this.