SIL-AIR Compressor isn't holding pressure

O

oceanbeach

I'm new to compressors so its probably a case of user error.

I filled it with proper oil and decided to cover the tube where I poured the oil with a sheet of plastic and a rubber band because there's another tube that looks very similar that has a rubber fitted cap on it but I got mine second hand and it didn't have one on the Oil pipe so I figured maybe there used to be one. A

nyways I used it for a week or so without any problems but last night it just started releasing all the air as it was being made from a little spout that I circled in red in the first photo.

When I plug it with my finger it seems that the air compressor works again.

I also noticed that the plastic that i had wrapped over the oil pipe was being sucked with some force so I took it off and the compressor breathed a sigh of relief but was still not holding any air.

the two tubes I'm talking about are in the second photos: the one circled in green is the tube that i put plastic over and the one in yellow is the one that's always had a cap on it. Any ideas?
Thanks!IMG_0187 2.jpg IMG_0188 2.jpg

First port of call should be the manufacturer, see if you can get a service booklet for it. Then perhaps call the people who sell them. The other thing that is useful is introducing yourself to the group first. Helps us answer your question. You may well be just next door so I can come and have a look myself... or maybe not. Perhaps pop along here and day Hi properly, have a read of the nettiquette thread there as well. http://www.airbrushforum.org/introductions/

You need an air filter cap for the open end "green circled" to start with. I would say there should be either a cap or a tube on that red circled connection. i've been looking at lots of pics to try and work it out but cant see anything. EDIT Just seen a pic with that end not covered on the right on the black elbow piece under the switch.
airbrush-compressor-sil-air-15d-5.JPG

Last edited:
You need an air filter cap for the open end "green circled" to start with. I would say there should be either a cap or a tube on that red circled connection. i've been looking at lots of pics to try and work it out but cant see anything. EDIT Just seen a pic with that end not covered on the right on the black elbow piece under the switch.

I see, so nothing seems to be out of the ordinary besides a missing air filter on the one pipe? That's what I've gathered as well from looking at photos of this model and similar models online. I'm pretty baffled as to why the air is rushing out of that nozzle but nobody seems to have theirs covered either. I'm guessing something internal, possibly something clogged that would send more air to the brush, forcing the pressure out of that nozzle which must be some type of overflow release. Thanks for you help!

That part is an unloader valve. https://www.air-craft.net/acatalog/Sil-Air-Unloader-Valve.html
I believe it's retained with a screw and can be pulled out. Then you can inspect it.

The one with the ring in it is the overpressure release.

You should also think about finding yourself a bigger tank. Be real easy to expand that system so it doesn't go on and off all the time.

Ah ok thank you for the information! I decided to go ahead and remove the unloader valve to see if I could find anything wrong but there wasn't anything that appeared to be unusual so I reassembled it and tried using the compressor again and it seems to be working as before now. Maybe a flap of rubber got pushed in a weird way and taking the unloader valve off and reseating it fixed the issue. Now I'll look into getting a filter for the air intake and maybe getting a bigger tank!

Back