Silentaire 20A issue

G

Gooby

Hi Folks,

I've bought a Silentaire 20A a few months ago, and I might have an issue with it. I'm hoping that one of you own this or a similar model and can help me deciding whether this is normal or not.

I'm not a very experienced airbrusher, but this is my third compressor in a short time due to my quest for finding one that is actually silent enough to be used in an apartment complex built out of paper. During motor operation the 20A is far better than the previous two, or anything else I had heard before. The problem comes when it shuts off, since it does it with a loud, sharp clank. (Turn on is acceptable.)

I had another problem with it too. A couple of times on start it tripped my otherwise perfectly working 20 Amp breaker, and customer care wasn't the most helpful sorting that out. True, that I can not prove 100% that there is something wrong with the unit. For this reason I'm asking you to help me figure out whether the shut off noise is normal or not before I complain again.

I would've already sent it back if not for the size and wight. I was hoping for all my dreams to come true for almost $600, but maybe I have unrealistic expectations.

If you have any experience with Silentaire compressors please let me know.

Thanks.

Being I am not sure what you call a loud click when it reaches shut off pressure but there is a click on cut out. But nothing to notice much.
As far as running it should be no louder then your fridge . Blowing a 20 amp breaker then you need to ask yourself what else is on that breaker. If it is a stand a lone breaker meaning that compressor is the only thing on it then it has an issue. But you state you live in an apartment so you really do not know how the place is wired and what is really on each circuit.
I have own my Silentair 50 for about 12 years now and have no issues with it. I also had my place of work buy one that runs on a C&C machine that runs 8 hours a day 5 days a week and it too is 12 years old and still as silent as ever.

Hello Herb,

Well, my cut out is a bit more than noticeable I believe. I'll try to make a video or something tomorrow, I don't know how well I can pick up the sound of it.
I'm not super worried about the breaker, partially for the reasons you wrote. (I still have my doubts. I'm an electrical engineer, totally NOT specialized in electric machines, so what do I really know, but without the details I give it a solid 20% that its not my apartment.)
I read really good reviews, it looks well built, not cheap, motor is silent as advertised, airflow is steady. I would love to love it but... I hope I can prove that it's only my unit that's faulty, and I can fix it, or they can fix it, or replace it, and we will live together happily ever after.
Anyway, thanks. I really appreciate the quick reply.

Yes, the video could be useful... there is a peculiar sound they make when they stop... if it won't pick up on a video then it is actually quiet!

What part of the world are you in? Perhaps you could pop along to the intro section and say Hi, what you airbrush, what gear you use...? :)

I'm asking you to help me figure out whether the shut off noise is normal or not before I complain again.

Is the noise caused by air (air sound)?
If so, then it's normal for any compressor. There's a valve that drops down an air pressure between the piston(s) and the air tank after switching off of the motor.

I dont have a silent air but I do have a silent compressor from the same factory and the same set up as the silent air 20 I just payed attention to the sound mine makes when it shuts off : there is indeed a little more noise and the compressor shakes a bit now that could cause the click you hear if the compressor is close to something and hits it
I really had to pay attention to notice the difference as most of the time I never hear it starting or cutting off and mine is standing on a wooden floor and I had my foot real close to the compressor and that is why I noticed it shaking a bit the moment it cut off

They do make a shut off noise but it is air that makes the noise. Place it on a sound absorbing mat to make sure its not vibrating on anything. A video would be perfect for us to work out whats going on with it. They are normally super quiet and reliable.

Lee

I used a Silent air compressor for a demo once and it was a Terry Hill model. It would make that clunk sound also. I think it is just the back pressure being let off for the next on cycle. As for the breaker tripping, is there anything on that line that requires heat at the time the compressor is running? A heating element requires a lot more amps than the compressor. My daughter is a gammer with a lot of stuff running on the one line and as soon as she turns in the hair dryer or straightener it will trip the breaker. Also if the line is also tied with the outside plugs and it is raining that could trip it. My brother In Law put in a GFI breaker and that sucker trips every time it poops outside.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
http://fredaw61.wixsite.com/the-artist

Hi All,

I really appreciate all the responses, you guys are great.
I think I'm done though. I set it up to take a video, but what I got instead was a major air leak. I can not feel it exactly but I guess it comes from the pressure switch side of the check valve. I have also noticed that I overfilled the oil, probably last time when I tried to debug it. It's like at 2/3 in the little window and the filter has oil in it (at least it's yellowish) as well as there is oil spatter on the inside of the housing.
I have no idea if I caused this and how abnormal it is but I'm really tired at this point, and I'm ready to pay even for somebody telling me what did I screw up, so I'm contacting their customer support to figure out how to send it in for check and repair.
They are in Houston, and I'm in Austin so it shouldn't be that bad.

xt4Z2ph.jpg

KB8NBEf.jpg

Bwt the shut off sound wasn't air sound. It was definitely something solid hitting something else with some metallic tones. I though first that it is just a really strong spring action of the pressure switch, like a big fat relay, but I'm not sure.
Regarding the breaker I live in a fairly new complex. This wing is like 2.5 years old. The breaker box is well documented, the rooms are divided between multiple circuits, with multiple stages for the whole apartment and breakers are good quality. The only other things on the circuit at the time were my 15W desk lamp, and the ceiling fan / lamp with the fan off. I brought home equipment from work and measured the current draw of the compressor, which seemed high to me but not necessarily abnormal. I'm not an expert as I said. Also based on my measurement it shouldn't have tripped the breaker, which it actually didn't when I happened to measure it. And this is already waaaaay more effort than I feel should go into this.

Wn1YlNJ.png

Thanks.

Double check they didn't attach a 240v european compressor setup to a 120v setup controller

I have 2 compressors attached to a single 20amp circuit. No problems even kicking on at the same time.

I have no idea if I caused this and how abnormal it is but I'm really tired at this point, and I'm ready to pay even for somebody telling me what did I screw up, so I'm contacting their customer support to figure out how to send it in for check and repair.

Bwt the shut off sound wasn't air sound. It was definitely something solid hitting something else with some metallic tones. I though first that it is just a really strong spring action of the pressure switch, like a big fat relay, but I'm not sure.

I'd say there's nothing wrong with your compressor.
The noise you've mentioned is normal work for pressure switch (big fat relay:)).
The only thing is a bit wrong is the oil level, pour some oil out to get proper level.

I'd say there's nothing wrong with your compressor.
The noise you've mentioned is normal work for pressure switch (big fat relay:)).
The only thing is a bit wrong is the oil level, pour some oil out to get proper level.

Thanks Vladimir,
Do you think the air leak might be cause by to much oil as well? Idk like the safety valve getting somehow compromised, spitting oil all over inside?

Ok, I poured some of the oil. It didn't take much, like 50ml to get it nicely just below center.
On the other hand it still leaks badly.

b2fsrJy.jpg

So as far as I can tell the T thing in the middle is the check valve and that looks like a fitting connecting it to the pressure switch body. Do you guys see how the black sealant is coming off there? It leaks there. It build up enough pressure for the regulator, but it won't get to the point where it turns off.
It was sitting in my closet for 2 months and this was definitely not an issue before. :/

Thanks Vladimir,
Do you think the air leak might be cause by to much oil as well?

No, never.

Ok, I poured some of the oil. It didn't take much, like 50ml to get it nicely just below center.
On the other hand it still leaks badly.
So as far as I can tell the T thing in the middle is the check valve and that looks like a fitting connecting it to the pressure switch body. Do you guys see how the black sealant is coming off there? It leaks there. It build up enough pressure for the regulator, but it won't get to the point where it turns off.
It was sitting in my closet for 2 months and this was definitely not an issue before. :/

I've got similar issue myself, but not with the airline. Mine issue is with air tank gasket which I'm tired to change:) It leaks very slow, so no bothers.
Air line leaks issues are easily and completely solved by using pipe sealing stuff, that one like blue gel. Do you know what I'm talking about, or should I search for a link?:)
I had issues with the airline also, I used teflon tape at the beginning, but it's total crap for using in compressor lines. Right after using blue gel thing - no issues ever.

Hi All,

I really appreciate all the responses, you guys are great.
I think I'm done though. I set it up to take a video, but what I got instead was a major air leak. I can not feel it exactly but I guess it comes from the pressure switch side of the check valve. I have also noticed that I overfilled the oil, probably last time when I tried to debug it. It's like at 2/3 in the little window and the filter has oil in it (at least it's yellowish) as well as there is oil spatter on the inside of the housing.
They are in Houston, and I'm in Austin so it shouldn't be that bad.

xt4Z2ph.jpg

KB8NBEf.jpg

Regarding the breaker I live in a fairly new complex. This wing is like 2.5 years old. The breaker box is well documented, the rooms are divided between multiple circuits, with multiple stages for the whole apartment and breakers are good quality. The only other things on the circuit at the time were my 15W desk lamp, and the ceiling fan / lamp with the fan off. I brought home equipment from work and measured the current draw of the compressor, which seemed high to me but not necessarily abnormal. I'm not an expert as I said. Also based on my measurement it shouldn't have tripped the breaker, which it actually didn't when I happened to measure it. And this is already waaaaay more effort than I feel should go into this.

Wn1YlNJ.png

Thanks.
I wander if the breaker is a bad breaker. Could become a fire hazard. Also it could be the wrong gauge wire in the walls making the line get to hot. I would definitely go to the complex management on that.

I wasn't meaning the sound of air discharging but the sound of the piston moving as the compressed air in the cylinder is let out so it can go into the compression stroke on the next cycle. I don't think the rings are as tight as in a car cylinder but I am not a 100% positive in that. It could be the overfilled oil is causing too much back pressure rather than just lubricating. It would definitely call sillair. I have spoke with them on my Great White on a few occasions since they make the Iwata, silent air and black panther models.

No, never.

I've got similar issue myself, but not with the airline. Mine issue is with air tank gasket which I'm tired to change:) It leaks very slow, so no bothers.
Air line leaks issues are easily and completely solved by using pipe sealing stuff, that one like blue gel. Do you know what I'm talking about, or should I search for a link?:)
I had issues with the airline also, I used teflon tape at the beginning, but it's total crap for using in compressor lines. Right after using blue gel thing - no issues ever.
I have used the soft tacky gasket seal stuff and kept getting leaks so I went back to teflon tape and I have not had an air leak since. Now that I mention it I will probably get one tomorrow. Lol. I have oil residue on the bottom of my stand all the time. When the compressor spits off the back pressure it spits a mist of oil out at the same time. These are refrigerator compressor and meant for a closed loop system so that the oil goes back to the compressor throughly the return coolant line which has been modified with an air filter. You will always have a bit of oil spray out.

I only have teflon tape, worked fine on all the fitting I had to use. I really don't want to disassemble this thing though. Come-on it's 5mo old...
If it would be some cheapo Chinese from ebay, but it's not.
I haven't received an answer from Silentaire yet.

I only have teflon tape, worked fine on all the fitting I had to use. I really don't want to disassemble this thing though. Come-on it's 5mo old...
If it would be some cheapo Chinese from ebay, but it's not.
I haven't received an answer from Silentaire yet.
Can you record the sound and send it to me and I will let you know if it is the same as the one I used. My Great White isn't that quite either. fredaw61@rochester.rr.com or PM or even Facebook Message Fred Wagner

Back