For Every Airbrush Artist!

Ready to get involved? Register for free and you won't see any google advertising!

Register

Silhouette cameo 2

Discussion in 'General Airbrush Discussion' started by Basstrack238, Dec 6, 2017.

1. Basstrack238

Basstrack238 Mac-Valve Maestro!

I just ordered one of those fancy newfangled devices. Any advice from experienced users on where to start and using/making vectors in Photoshop or elsewhere. This is totally new, Photoshop I have some experience with, I'm running cs4. I've wanted one since I got the cricut for wife. Blick had the cameo 2 bundle for 187, so I snapped it up with extra design software for 27. I'd like to do stencils for art and camo patterns for duracoat work I do. Also got some Yupo and crescent papers to try for first time. Any info or advice would be great, thanks y'all.
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
  2. Robbyrockett2

Robbyrockett2 Mac-Valve Maestro!

You'll thank yourself for switching to a roland style blade holder. You can get lots of angles of blades that way and the depth of cut adjustment can be fine tuned rather than ratcheting. Fine tuning the blade angle and depth goes a long ways towards getting a clean cut. You'll have essentiallly upgraded from a hobby machine to close to professional level results that way.
    They are also pretty good at making very tight turns and will probably give you much sharper corners and points.
  3. Robbyrockett2

4. Robbyrockett2

graphtec blades in this holder.
    Roland if you went roland
  5. Basstrack238

Robbyrockett2 likes this.
  6. Robbyrockett2

Looking again I might have messed that up...you want the cb09 but not the cb09u
    They should actually be the same on the outside since the U just uses a larger shaft blade and goes in the same slot as the non-u but i just read the one Q+A on there where someone said the one marked for both didnt fit there cameo
    Sorry I'm not certain if there's a difference but heres a strictly cb09
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073TB7BH...lY&pd_rd_r=PRAXTPNY4T6CY2G23GPG&pd_rd_w=sKFWe

It had been a while since i bought the one I put into my roland sx-15 (that i dont even have anymore )
    Now i simply mount one of these in my CNC Router
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
  7. Robbyrockett2

8. Basstrack238

I ordered it, along with oracal 813 and transfer tape
    Robbyrockett2 likes this.
  9. Robbyrockett2

Try a cut with the original, then try that cb09 knockoff..... it'll be night and day. Replacement blades are gonna be cheaper too, even if you order genuine graphtec once you factor in the longevity.
    I hope I caught you before you got the cb09/cb09u one.
    That was my mistake. Though again i'm not entirely sure it makes a difference.
    I think all it is ,is that on some they drop right in and some you have to spread the mount manually a tiny bit to get it to drop in.
    Basstrack238 likes this.
  10. AndreZA

AndreZA Elite Member! Elite Member!

If you look at the part number in the Technical Detail it it says it is the CB09. And all the review are positive for use in the Cameo.
    Robbyrockett2 and Basstrack238 like this.
  11. AndreZA

AndreZA Elite Member! Elite Member!

Back to the software. The Cameo software is very easy to use and it traces brilliantly. I like to design in Corel Draw 9 and then export to DXF and then open it in the Silhouette software.
    Basstrack238 likes this.
  12. Basstrack238

How's it work with photoshop documents? I'm new to vector, I downloaded a few only one set was useable in photoshop. Although I have a non updated cs4, so that can get wonky too. I'm not paying monthly for new photoshop, may have to check out Corel. Thanks for the tips guys, I can't wait to try this contraption out.
  13. Robbyrockett2

They should pretty much all work in illustrator. If they are correct files. I still use CS4 and CS6. I don't use photoshop a lot.
    If you were downloading EPS files a lot of times they arent actually vector. Your success rate with downloading sounds about the same as mine for trying in photoshop. It's better using Illustrator CS6 or 4, or Inkscape.

Speaking of which....Inkscape is free open source software and is a pure vector editor and very very close to Illustrator in operation. Has a good size community, a large number of tutorials (especially for the operations that are different than illustrator so you can cross over Illustrator tutorials)
    Wouldn't hurt to download it.

Cool.
    I thought it was fine...Just if you go to the questions the second or third person says this one didnt fit in their cameo right but the one labeled just cb09 did. Had me a little worried.
    Basstrack238 likes this.
  14. Robbyrockett2

Basstrack238 likes this.
  15. Basstrack238

NICE! Thanks, I just took a look at unit. IT'S been used and stuff is open/missing? The cutting mat has been cut on for sure. I sent dickblick an email, I didn't pay for a used item and nowhere did it say it was used. Let's see what they say. I was not happy
  16. Robbyrockett2

Yeah that sucks. I'm sure they'll swap it out.
  17. Basstrack238

NOPE, it's discontinued. They will take it back, but I may keep it. See if they send a new mat and cutter...I don't know
  18. Robbyrockett2

Oh because they're pushing the cameo 3 and about to go to the 4
    That's the one bad thing with the hobby machines. cameos have been out like 8 years and are going on 5 different model revisions.
    The upside is theyre a lot cheaper and actually more options (cutting small and odd size media)

You might not miss the cutter even if they dont send a new one, since you're getting that cb09 anyhow.

The absolute worst thing about these is that the company doesnt sell replacement rollers and rollers are a normal wear part on a cutter.
    Currently though there are aftermarket replacement rollers, which are actually an upgrade because theyre rubber instead of plastic and grip better.

Sucks it came used. They should just refund you like $30 for the mat and cutter at least. That would be cool.
    In any case I hope you end up happy with it. Having a plotter/cutter is fantastic.
  19. twood

twood Detail Decepticon! Very Likeable!

I have the Cameo 2 and i do not think the 3 is a great improvement. I can cut alot of small stuff and for what I do, it is perfect. I just use the studio software for all my design and tracing....works great.
    I cut all the stencils on my ornaments with it and used oracle 631.
    This was really fine and it had no problems. The grr argh part. Weeding was a beeach though. Had to use my loop to see...lol
    IMG_2336.JPG

Attached Files:

doc1, Basstrack238 and NEMOPa like this.
  20. NEMOPa

NEMOPa Elite Member! Elite Member!

Nice detail on the Buffy ornament. 631 is an excellent choice for masking, removes easily without residue. I use it for signage & with the air eraser. On wood, I give a light coat of trans base before I paint to seal the edges / prevent bleed...
    twood and Basstrack238 like this.