Small nozzle or smaller nozzle (Custom Micron)

M

MrCrowley78

Hi!
I have been looking all over the internet for tips or help to choose which one of the Iwata Custom Micron C plus i should buy.
One has a 0.23mm nozzle and the other one has an even smaller 0.18mm.
I got an offer to buy a second hand micron (fully restored) at maybe half the price of a brand new here in Sweden.
I'm really a noob when it comes to airbrushing so i guess it would be like handing a Ferrari to a chimpansee but i could really use a good airbrush.

Help me out please :smile-new:

Hi!
I have been looking all over the internet for tips or help to choose which one of the Iwata Custom Micron C plus i should buy.
One has a 0.23mm nozzle and the other one has an even smaller 0.18mm.
I got an offer to buy a second hand micron (fully restored) at maybe half the price of a brand new here in Sweden.
I'm really a noob when it comes to airbrushing so i guess it would be like handing a Ferrari to a chimpansee but i could really use a good airbrush.

Help me out please :smile-new:

If your new to it, go for the larger nozzle, smaller nozzles have difficulty with water based paints and could cause frustration for a beginner, I've had that problem myself.

If your new to it, go for the larger nozzle, smaller nozzles have difficulty with water based paints and could cause frustration for a beginner, I've had that problem myself.

Ok thanks!:joyous:

At first i had my mind set to the smaller one but i read about artists getting a lot of tipdry with really small nozzles (0.15) and bending the needle a bit too easy while cleaning it so i wanted to really think about pros & cons about the two brushes.

I have to agree with the other posts here. I have been airbrushing less than a year but I have a Paasche VL (.5/.35) and a Devilbiss Dagr (.35) and I have been researching a smaller tip airbrush (.21) and everyone who uses them says you cant shoot metal flake paint, you have to have the paint properly reduced or you will just get frustrated with problems. And the other things you mentioned. If you can afford the half price AB and just set it on a shelf until you get good with a bigger needle/tip size then go for it. If you dont have the cash to throw around wait it out and get the bigger more user friendly AB.
Just my opinion.
MTM.

It's easier to start with a bigger nozzle, you can even pull some fine detail with a .5 set up, but it takes some practice.

If you can afford the micron go for it i have one too and it is by far my favorite airbrush, but breaking parts is a pita because the cost a small fortune, so that's also some to over think when buying one.

It's easier to start with a bigger nozzle, you can even pull some fine detail with a .5 set up, but it takes some practice.

If you can afford the micron go for it i have one too and it is by far my favorite airbrush, but breaking parts is a pita because the cost a small fortune, so that's also some to over think when buying one.

Thanks everyone!

It seems like the best AB for me would be the Micron with 0,23mm nozzle so i think i'm going for it :courage:

The 0.18 nozzle will flawlessly handle paints like Holbein Aeroflash or Illu-Color that both have very fine pigmentation. It will also process paints like Createx and Schmincke, but you will have to clean your needle more often, which could be messy when you have to do that in between refills, before the paint cup is empty since it is a gravity type (with paint cup on top of the airbrush). When you remove the needle the paint will spill from the airbrush's tip. Thinner based paints like HOK or Inspire will give no problem in the smaller nozzle. But generally speaking the larger nozzle will give you a wider range of options. The 0.18 is suited to spray ultra-fine lines; the 0.2 will allow you to spray finer lines than with most other brands and types of airbrush and make it easier to spray larger areas as well. So your choice depends on the type of work you plan to spray somewhat, but in any case the Iwata is a most excellent choice. Btw, the Iwata nozzles may be more expensive than in any other brand, but they will last a lot longer and are capable of taking a lot of abuse without decreasing the quality of the spray. For example I dropped an Iwata HP-BH on the needle at the back (not using the handle...) and I had to remove the needle using a pair of pliers, but the gun sprayed without any sort of problem for 5 years afterwards - I never changed the nozzle or needle... This is absolute quality that you will not find in any other brand.

i bought micro fron member ricce (Thanks ricce) not get it yet, but any way can i use iwata comart paint on it or what paint you guys are using

Back