smooth paper vs vellum paper

C

Calibur454

was wondering which one would be best and what are the good and bad points for each one

was wondering which one would be best and what are the good and bad points for each one
First off Paper is not the best surface for airbrush, is fine to practice on. Vellum or smooth paper would be fine to practice on. Vellum would be less absorbent than Paper and with a low pressure and a delicate touch it may work. I have used Bristol Strathmore 100 lbs. smooth in the past and was happy with the outcome but it is easy to over saturate and warp the paper. Find the smoothest and heaviest pound paper you can get. I find it much better to work on hot press Illustration board because the hot press surface allows you to erase back into the paint. For practice of dagger strokes and dots just get cheap news print pads and practice that kind of stuff on them. Paper towel is fine for that but you won't get a try feel for working on a non absorbent surface.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
http://fredaw61.wixsite.com/the-artist

First off Paper is not the best surface for airbrush, is fine to practice on. Vellum or smooth paper would be fine to practice on. Vellum would be less absorbent than Paper and with a low pressure and a delicate touch it may work. I have used Bristol Strathmore 100 lbs. smooth in the past and was happy with the outcome but it is easy to over saturate and warp the paper. Find the smoothest and heaviest pound paper you can get. I find it much better to work on hot press Illustration board because the hot press surface allows you to erase back into the paint. For practice of dagger strokes and dots just get cheap news print pads and practice that kind of stuff on them. Paper towel is fine for that but you won't get a try feel for working on a non absorbent surface.

I have also heard of Mat board being used and even foam core. would those be better Im looking to store my artwork rather easily with Itoya portfolios

Anything with a texture runs the risk of 'catching' overspray. And makes some techniques more difficult. As for what is best, that is all down to individual preference, and sometimes cost. Some surfaces can be pretty expensive. (It usually works out cheaper to buy large sheets and cut down to different sizes)
The glossier, the easier it is for paint to spider, however it doesn't take much to adjust to, it makes erasing etc easier, but can also be more easily damaged, and need a protective top coat (many people do this for a variety of surfaces anyway) matt surfaces tend to be more absorbent, and the hit pressed kind is usually preferred as Airbrush dreams said. Foam core can have other issues in that if you want to draw on it directly, or use masking etc, it can dent and leave marks. Thin aluminium panels are easy to store and if you are happy with prepping them are could.

Foam board dents easily. Art card (poster board) may be worth a look as well.

I have also heard of Mat board being used and even foam core. would those be better Im looking to store my artwork rather easily with Itoya portfolios
Matboard is a bit toothy (rough) to get a fine clean looking piece. If you are going to do any masking or frisket work your best looking into Crescent 205.3 or Schoellershammer hot press Illustration board. It is extremely smooth. You can scratch, erase and get real fine detail. It is friendly to tap, masking and frisket. You can cut it down to size and put it in your portfolio case. Most all art papers have a bit of a bumpy surface and like squishy said it will catch overspray. Like I said before I used the Bristol Paper before that was made for airbrushing and every time I pulled the tape off the paper it would pull the surface right off. Got real frustrating when you worked 32 hours and the painting got destroyed because of the tape.

Back