For Every Airbrush Artist!

Ready to get involved? Register for free and you won't see any google advertising!

Register

so im curious about artists in other countries ?

Discussion in 'General Airbrush Discussion' started by Pandemic Customs, Dec 23, 2014.

1. Pandemic Customs

Pandemic Customs Young Tutorling

I know how much a good airbrush artist can make here in the united states its about 75 to 150 usd an hour what does a good artist command in other countries ? I was just curious to see the differences are or if they are in line with the us.
  2. Mr.Micron

Mr.Micron Royal pain in the air hose Admin

Most US artist I know really do not break it down by the hour . The local guy that does airbrushing a couple towns over charges by the job , He did a tail gate with a simple skeleton on it for 1500.00 which took him an hour with prep and clear so would that mean he makes 1500 bucks an hour. Most bid by the job and the design and not by how many hours they think it will take,
    price for art is driven by how much excess money a person has and is willing to give away .
    Location , trends is what drives how much an artist can charge not to mention reputation of the artist.
    So now tell us what kind of job can you get in Minnesota for 75 dollars an hour? Hell the body shops here charge more then that here just for prep work , No art is included.
    DarkDetails likes this.
  3. Pandemic Customs

You can get really nice work for 75 an hour and yes I agree most do piece work however so they dont screw them selves the estimate approx how long the artwork will take and base the piece work off of that and this is just artwork it does not include prepping ie filler , blocking ectect also no finish work ie color sanding polishing. Everything is based off hourly thats how piece work is estimated. Thats just how ive been taught anyhow...
  4. AndreZA

AndreZA Elite Member! Elite Member! Artist of the Month!

Here they want to pay $1500 or even less to redo a whole bike. I guestamate at about $30/h and that includes the paint.
  5. Pandemic Customs

Yeah I knew us muricans were greedy lol.Just didnt think that greedy. So it must be a pretty tough market. Here for a whole bike and I am directly quoting from a couple bigger shops right around me. Just to do a single color on a bagger its right around 6500.00 then if ya want that artwork they start dumping the cost on top of that. and that is an opaque if ya want a candy its more !
    DarkDetails likes this.
  6. DarkDetails

DarkDetails Double Actioner

I've been trying to get pricing information. I'm also from Minnesota and there just doesn't seem to be a huge market for custom paint like one would find in California, Nevada, Florida or another state that's warm all year. I have had several requests for work but am turning it down because I have NO CLUE what to charge. Even comparing my work to that of established artists, the type of work varies so much from one artist to the next, it's hard to gauge. I'm so afraid of asking too much that I'll end up way under bidding and giving away so many hours of hard work.
  7. Madbrush

Madbrush Guest

First of all welcome to the forum.

I've had a little look through your gallery and what I see there is pretty impressive, in view of that I think you shouldn't turn down work, if you get the chance of it take it.

Pricing is a grey area for everyone, but I personally would base any pricing on what I could get for doing my own job, I obviously wouldn't accept less otherwise I would just continue to do my own job, if I can get $30 an hour for doing my own job (which I do) I won't accept $20 for custom or commission work, but it was never my intention to airbrush for money.

If you have an idea how long it's going to take to do something and you have an idea how much all your paint and sundries might cost, this is a good starting point, you at least you have to cover these costs whatever, after that it's a case of what you would like to get for your time and if your realistic you won't scare the customer away, if he seriously wants it he'll pay for it otherwise he's hoping you'll do it for next to nothing, but you decide if it's worth your while or not.

bear in mind also that there is no harm in doing a couple of jobs at a seriously knocked down rate just to get your name out there, this could set you up good since the better known you become the more chance there is that people will come to you and not the other way round.

Your helmet although not my thing certainly shows you could handle a half decent bike tank, every job/project you do is practice, with practice comes experience and with experience comes speed, therefore every projects gets quicker and would become more profitable, you shouldn't worry about being burned even if it's self inflicted, if your clever enough that would only happen once and as long as that was the case would also be a valuable experience.

I'm guessing you have the same problem a lot of us (artists) have, low self confidence, if so, that is your only hurdle, get over that and it's all yours for the taking, you've got something from what I can see of your work, so go make it work for you.

I'm way too old to think about trying to make money from art, for me it's just a hobby for the fun of it, but I still love to hear a good success story, so I hope yours will be one of them, I've watched a lot of artists grow on here and it warms my heart when they start make money or even simply just get better than when they started.
  8. Pandemic Customs

Madbrush that is extremely excellent advice. I myself have been painting cars and bikes for awhile (not airbrushing dont consider myself to be at an acceptable level yet) and you are spot on. Dont listen to professionals in our area either Dark Details, they just d o nt want new talent coming in and doing a job just as good for less this means less business for them. I recently was threated by a local artist who caught wind of the prices I charge.... I dont do it to get rich I do it because I LOVE TO PAINT and my love for CARS AND BIKES. So figure out your overhead, figure out what your time is worth to you and charge appropriately. One of two things will happen the potential customer will say YES or NO. Either way its a win cause they say yes great you are making money, they say no like madbrush said they were not serious to begin with.
  9. CALz AyrWKz

CALz AyrWKz Moderator Mod

Excellent advice! I think they have it covered.