For Every Airbrush Artist!

Ready to get involved? Register for free and you won't see any google advertising!

Register

Soggy Moggy - Finished!

Discussion in 'Works In Progress & Finished Artworks!' started by Squishy, Mar 7, 2017.

1. Squishy

Squishy Queen Clown Slayer Mod

Roll up! Roll up! Welcome to the freakshow! Come see the amazing 'Wing it' woman, and be astounded as you witness with your very own eyes how she blunders on regardless - with no clue or direction. Oooh and ahhh, at her stumbles, cringe at her mistakes, roll your eyes as she rambles on (and on and on....) trying to justify her choices, and goggle at her warty warts and all attempt at painting what will hopefully end up, some kind of picture. Or will she crash and burn, and never more shall you attempt the same foolish ways.

So, let us begin. I picked an image I think will push my boundries and move me forward as I'm feeling a bit stuck. I only have an 8 x 8 inch surface available (claybord), so I will probably not get the quality or detail level I would like....but lets see.... I am using wicked paints, and my trusty hp-cs. (micron on standby, but don't think I'll need it). Colours will be mixed on a 'that'll do' basis. No technical theory here, if it looks right I'll go with it :) Realism is beyond me, but I shall attempt real -ish lol.

So I turned down all the colour on my screen to get a B&W image, lost a lot of detail but got the basic shapes, printed it, scribbled on the back, traced the important bits, then cut out the head and stuck it on to keep the main event area clean and stop me wiping off any pencil marks (been there before!).
    WP_20170224_16_44_05_Pro (1024x575).jpg

So far so good, my lonely brain cell is not too taxed yet. So to the background (so the wispy fur etc can be erased into it later) I decide to start with the flat, blue area of water. No rhyme or reason except that it's nice and uncomplicated, and I need to get into my groove. I have looked at this image too long overthinking it already, so just need to jump in. Just straight cobalt blue super reduced. Then with a mix of a darkish grey again very reduced, I start to build up some other water textures. I'm not looking at is as water, but just as lines shapes and fades. Next - the part I am not confident with - erasing.
    WP_20170302_17_27_35_Pro (1024x575).jpg For some reason I have never gotten along well with it, but for the choppy area of the water it's necessary, (at least I can't think of another way I'm happy with) time to bite the bullet. I have both a hard and soft eraser, and a scalpel. Studying the image I try to copy the shapes as closely as I can. It's not identical, but close. Repeat after me the Squishy mantra:- "That'll Do!" (It's this very attitude that keeps me from progressing I realise, while at the same time carrying on *facepalm*)
    WP_20170302_17_27_45_Pro (1024x575).jpg
    A little close up shows that towards the left I have used the soft eraser, and towards the centre where the water is more agitated the hard eraser. I find the more paint I have to erase, the easier it erases, possibly why I am not very sucessful usually, as I like to build up very light layers. I have left a lot of the dark areas showing through as this will (I hope) give the image some dimension and depth.

And on that bombshell, we leave it. Tune in next time for more "what the hell is she doing?" moments with 'Wing it' Woman. *cue dramatic super hero music*
    Tobikommi, jsymac, toammy and 10 others like this.
  2. JackEb

JackEb Dragon Hunter Staff Member Admin

oh ye of little faith......
    us longtermers are use to your blah blah blah and it always turns out amazing......I remember all your nerves when you did the seal and that was amazing.
    stop overthinking it and "just do it"
    Jumping in the deep end, 'winging it' 'close enough' and 'that will do' are all working for you so keep going.

PS: I never ever ever listen to, or take, my own advice !! :p
    musicmacd, MeeshellMP and Squishy like this.
  3. Squishy

The slightly less based in reality (in that there is no photographic evidence of the camera shy critters I love to paint) is easier, as the only person who sees what they look like in my mind, is me, so I have a lot of leeway. The more easily identifiable is harder, folks know what they look like lol lol lol.

If we listened, even to ourselves, people would get the wrong idea, and expect us to pay attention all the time :eek:
    JackEb likes this.
  4. markjthomson

markjthomson Very happy! Staff Member Mod

Squishy likes this.
  5. Squishy

Thanks markypoos, it will be an adventure.
    markjthomson likes this.
  6. Basstrack238

Basstrack238 Needle-chuck Ninja

I think it's awesome already.
    Squishy likes this.
  7. MeeshellMP

MeeshellMP Goddess Queen of carts Mod

Me likey!!! Keep going!!
    Squishy likes this.
  8. Big John 1945

Big John 1945 Artist of the Month! Artist of the Month!

Looking forward to the rest of your SBS, great sense of humor, and I know you have the talent.
    Squishy likes this.
  9. Ricky Spanish

Ricky Spanish Needle-chuck Ninja

Ooooo I like kitties... The Min Min is off to a great start... I'll be following this SBS closely... Keep up the great work
    Squishy likes this.
  10. Squishy

Thanks for the support guys. @Ricky Spanish , when you say close, around 100 feet is pretty close in the grand scheme of things, compared to the size of the universe. And if you keep your eyes closed, and imagine it at night, it'll look even better lol.
    Ricky Spanish likes this.
  11. Ricky Spanish

Lol
    yep its dependent on the observer ;)
    Breathe ...Out with the bad ... In with the good :)
    You got this ;)
    Squishy likes this.
  12. JackEb

just do it slowly, otherwise you'll get head spins LOL
    Squishy and Ricky Spanish like this.
  13. Ricky Spanish

:sus: Or maybe you want the spins :rolleyes:
    "Ricky breathes really fast"
    Ooooh that was such a bad idea... Instantly regret that one
    Squishy likes this.
  14. JackEb

lollol you're the type of person who touches something with a "wet paint" sign attached just to double check aren't you !
    Russ Allen, Ricky Spanish and Squishy like this.
  15. Ricky Spanish

You seen that? That was a couple weeks ago ?
    "Ricky's mind blown"
    Poooof
  16. JackEb

yeah you really need to turn off the face time on your phone dude !!
    Russ Allen, Squishy and Ricky Spanish like this.
  17. musicmacd

musicmacd Air-Valve Autobot! Very Likeable!

Awesome :) rocking it girly :)
    Squishy likes this.
  18. Malky

Malky Pencil Pushing Protagonist Elite Member! Very Likeable!

So it wasn't enough that thanks to you elsewhere on this dangerous forum I had to drench my own brother in iron bru, which by the way, is so expensive I just had to lick it all off of him, but now I find myself cleaning snot and slobbers off of my tablet:eek: (should have checked this out on my phone first, would have saved me a good hour), you just don't care, do you? Clearly I should read your posts while wearing a dust mask with heavy duty elastico_O

Anyway, I'm watching this and I like it so far, even more, I like this "That'll do" strategy, I should have adopted that myself a few times and saved myself millions on wasted materials:confused:

Not sure on "wing it woman" I think "wonder woman" sounds better, or, at least "wonder what I'm doing woman":thumbsup:

If you need help with this, just give me a nod, I'll send round @beanpoleuk and @haasje dutchairbrush lol or I could just try to explain what not to do:)
    Squishy and haasje dutchairbrush like this.
  19. Squishy

lol, don't be wasting that iron brew now, if you got any on the rug and have to suck it up, make sure people know there is no munching involved lol.

Wing it Woman is descriptive of both my "method" and my bingo wings flapping as I aimlessly wave the airbrush around :D
  20. JackEb

O what a mental picture that is !!
    Malky and Squishy like this.